First Jay song you ever heard.

thediechiltons

Post by thediechiltons »

i was in a band back in '87 and we opened for UT at the KC Hall in Belleville - so i guess that's when i first heard Jay - i just remember thinking they sounded like The Jesus and Mary Chain and were a bit boring. what the hell did i know, though - i was playing billy idol covers for christsake.

i consider 'Drown' to be my first, though
'cuz it's so friggin kickass.

dc :twisted:

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

it was drown for me.

Post by Sticky »

widespreadchanges wrote:Holiday in the Sun by the Sex Pistols was the first song I ever heard. How bout ya's?
I was going to ask: A song Jay wrote or the first song I heard him play? But it doesn't really matter, I don't remember either. First Jay original I heard turned into a different song, and I don't remember what it turned into.

First time I heard him play? I think widespreadchanges was at Mr. A's in about 81 or 82.

cowboydown

Post by cowboydown »

widespreadchanges wrote:Holiday in the Sun by the Sex Pistols was the first song I ever heard. How bout ya's?
Jay was in the Sex Pistols?

cowboydown

Post by cowboydown »

GRAVEYARD SHIFT - I was drinving home from somewhere and when I heard this amazing song - the start stop rhythm and that awesome riff - I freaked out and was captivated by it's raw gutteral energy, the singers voice and the lyrics! On man, I was so excited I drove immediately to the record store and bought it. Thankfully they had several LP copies. Circa 1990.

widespreadchanges

Post by widespreadchanges »

Holiday in the Sun by the Sex Pistols was the first song I ever heard. How bout ya's?

clarkma5

Post by clarkma5 »

As I said in the Drown thread, Drown was the first Farrar song I ever heard!

keith21

Post by keith21 »

Back in '98 I was mailing a buddy from the rust list (Neil Young email list) a copy of re.ac.tor on vinyl as he didn't have too many record shops near him. To show his gratitude he included a cassette copy of Anodyne he found in a .99 bin with the $4. I was hooked.

TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis »

Before I Break

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

Grindstone.

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy »

Great thread!

True to Life. During the Napster era I noticed that a lot of the people's libraries who had similar musical interests as me had stuff from some band named Uncle Tupelo. So, I downloaded one song to test it out. Lucky me. I was hooked from the start.

Lawrence Fan

First Jay song you ever heard.

Post by Lawrence Fan »

Another thread (I forget which) got me thinking about this.

So, what is the first Jay song you ever heard?

Me:
Life Worth Living, from the No Depression demo, circa 1989. Driving over to a bar in south St. Louis, The Black Thorn, and my friend Joe says "You gotta hear these guys, some drunks from Belleville." At the time that was a compliment, so I was game. I wish I knew where Joe was now so I could thank him.

-gk-