First Jay song you ever heard.

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

Tear Stained Eye.

BoogieMan

Post by BoogieMan »

Awesome story about the cheesarito!! No clue about what it means, it's gotta mean something though

My first Jay song is probably Windfall as that's the first one on Trace and that's the first Jay-album I bought. That's one of my favorite songs ever and probably my favorite Jay song. However, Drain has been played a lot lately and I can't get enough of that one.

Neverwonagrammy

Post by Neverwonagrammy »

First Jay song?, I can't remember, it would've been whatever the first one he sang, at the first Uncle Tupelo show I saw in St. Louis. That was LONG ago.
My FAVORITE "Jay song" story though...
Back in "the day", Jay used to be a big fan of the, now long extinct, Cheesarito, at Taco Bell. After Taco Bell discontinued Jay's favorite item, he used to try to describe to Taco Bell employees, how to make one. They'd never quite get it right. He'd, generally, eat whatever concoction they'd whip up, per his instructions, and wonder why they couldn't figure it out.
JUMP AHEAD 4 OR 5 YEARS.....
I was on the road, with the Bottle Rockets. We pulled into a Taco Bell, on the way out of Minneapolis. I check out the menu, THEY STILL HAVE THE CHEESARITO!!! Gotta be the last one in the whole country.
I HAD to get it, just to see what all the fuss was about.
I get my Cheesarito, sit down, unwrap it, and, I SWEAR TO GOD THIS IS TRUE, at the exact moment I bite into the Cheesarito...
"Drown" comes on the Taco Bell "music service"!!!
I ain't lyin', it was friggin' weird!
I've never seen a Cheesarito again.
I've never heard Jay in Taco Bell again.
What's it mean?
Brian
P.S. The Cheesarito was good. They should've never discontinued it...

fadeaway

Post by fadeaway »

Hey Professor-
You're in Berkeley?? I'm pretty nearby.

professor_squishy

Post by professor_squishy »

I guess it was "Slate", Anodyne being my first UT experience. I bought it solely based on the enthusiasm that the dude from the gumbopages site had for UT.

Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed...

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

The first song I ever heard (that I was aware of) was Ten Second News. My roomate and I in college read an awesome review of it in No Depression and checked it out...we had never heard Uncle Tupelo, but dug a lot of the "No Depression" bands.

I remember lying on the couch one night and hearing the song come up on shuffle. I felt this horrible cold feeling in my stomach, Jay made me feel the pain of the lyrics and the lap steel was downright painful (in a good way). I knew I loved Farrar's music at that moment. I listened to Trace nonstop for about a month. And this is when I was an 18 year old listening to Minor Threat, Black Flag, etc. I swore acoustic music was "fuckin' gay!" The Bottle Rockets and Wilco were cool because they weren't all acoustic...the stupidity of youth.

Son Volt was the reason I picked up an acoustic and wrote songs beyond 3 chords and childish rants. That's why I still listen to these songs today...it's the reason we put all of our money together to get enough gas to get to Baton Rouge (about 6 hours from Houston) to see Son Volt when they were touring to support the release of Straightaways. Such an amazing show. They opened with Caryatid Ease and slayed.

Sorry about the rant, but as a person and a musician, Son Volt was the band that changed everything for me. Between Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt and The Bottle Rockets, I gained more musical knowledge than any other group of bands.

gblues

Post by gblues »

It was the Still Feel Gone album when I was fifteen. I started hanging out with this guy who was a bit older than me & he'd always be pickin on his gutiar & I asked what it was he was playing,so he played that album for me & from then on I was hooked. I discovered tons of good music through him,3 years later we started dating & have been together ever since. Thanks to him I have seen lots of Jay shows & many others. I am a lucky girl,I just recently bought him an Ibanez amp for his accoustic/electric ibanez & he plays & I sing,it's lots of fun.

fadeaway

Post by fadeaway »

first time I ever heard Jay was the day I bought Trace and Blue Mountain's Dog Days in Oxford, MS at Uncle Bud's. I was 15 and I smoked pot for the first time that day, too. We listened to it all the way back to Tupelo. Everything was different after Windfall came on. :D

Post by Sticky »

I wouldn't have seen them much then. We were playing the same circuit. By the time they became UT, I only saw them if we weren't playing, but we were playing 3-5 nights a week.

Where was Slots of Fun??? Was it in Bel-Air Bowl? I just remember my parents telling me I wasn't allowed to go there anymore.
Last edited by Sticky on Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

thediechiltons

Post by thediechiltons »

we were called 'black violet'
we had been on the air on 'the underexposed' at WSIE (RIP) and offered anyone who wanted to call a free gig. jeff tweedy called.
anyways, i read that the flier for that gig is in the wilco book, it was novemeber, but it just says 'with special guests' - waaaaaaa.....

we should have just changed our name to 'special guests' hehe

dc :twisted:

Post by Sticky »

Dear God, yes. But for the life of me, I can't remeber where it was. Didn't much care where I was back then.

Which band? 87 might have been too late for me.
Last edited by Sticky on Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

thediechiltons

Post by thediechiltons »

hey sticky, remember 'slots of fun'?

hehe

:twisted:

Post by Sticky »

Mr. A's (Augustine's) was a leftover disco that had a New Wave (all ages) night every Tuesday back in Belle Vegas. Dade's band, The Plebes, played there at least once that I remember. Jay was the guitar player, he was about 14 or 15. I don't remember Holiday in the Sun from UT, but The Plebes played a lot of that stuff. I heard UT play a lot of Pistols, Clash, Neil, etc., just not that song. Just thought you might be a B'ville boy.

widespreadchanges

Post by widespreadchanges »

Hey

I know Mr. B, C and D, even F, but I'm not sure I ever went to Mister A's. :? I was working on broadcast in the early 80's and earning a good dollar djing stuff for my family. I was a big trampoline and Go Kart fanatic too. :)
Isn't there a smashing pumpkins song drown too.........

Hey Sticky. What do you mean by Mister A's?

Drown's a rocking song. I hear it in my head as I type. I'm wierd like that. I don't even need the song playing because it's just stuck in my mind.

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

Six String Belief :roll:

:arrow: i consider 'Drown' to be my first, though
'cuz it's so friggin kickass.

i hear ya DC!