Jay and Literature

freeuntilcaught

Post by freeuntilcaught »

Annie Proulx. i forget what album it was or book (they are all great) but i remember thinking jay could have read it. i think it was trace. Read Annie Proulx and if you haven't read Montana, 1948 by Larry Watson go to the library or bookstore today.

Mike V

Post by Mike V »

Phrases like, "take no notice" and "rake a fire" used in his songs ("Barstow", "Gather") I've read in D.H. Lawrence's "Sons and Lovers".

fadeaway

Post by fadeaway »

Thanks Cowboydown! Very interesting.

cowboydown

Re: Jay and Literature

Post by cowboydown »

fadeaway wrote:Just Curious if anyone sees any similarities between Jay and novels. I see a lot of Cormac McCarthy in some of his stuff. For instance, McCarthy uses Creosote the same way at the beginning of Child of God. At the beginning of Suttree he mentions repeatedly the high sheriff from hell. What do you think? Any other instances you can think of?
http://www.fastatmosphere.com/jayfarrar ... c+mccarthy

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

thediechiltons wrote:i have nightmares that i'm being bludgeoned to death with copies of 'the da vinci code'...argh

dc :twisted:
Okay, ya got me there. Damn.

I've read LotR maybe 20 times, but still haven't re-read it since the movies came out.

Huge, HUGE Frank Herbert fan. The Dune stuff is simply a masterpiece. But don't confuse that with the filth that his son and the other waco are puting out. Better suited for the bathroom, and I don't mean for reading.

I've read a good bit of Assimov, but personaly I'd take Heinlein over him any day.

I tried Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Extremely derrivative and maddenlingly loooooong.

Currently reading a bunch of Terry Pratchett, fantasy-satire. Great stuff and a welcome break from the ultra serious stuff.

Mystic River was a good read. Still haven't seen the movie.

Every now and then I go back and read a "classic", you know, one of those high school lit choices. Re-read Watership Down not too long ago, along with Lord of the Flies. Good stuff.

On the flip side, I've been known to read text books, like....20 years after school when I don't have to. Did I say that out loud?

So basically Fantasy/Sci Fi are my preferences, but every now and then a contemporary title filters through my list.

I'd take a book over a movie or DVD any day.

-gk-

thediechiltons

Post by thediechiltons »

i work in a library.
people read, don't worry 'bout that.
it's what they read that's disturbing.

i don't even wanna start - 'cuz it drives me insane......
i have nightmares that i'm being bludgeoned to death with copies of 'the da vinci code'...argh

Poster Nutbag

Post by Poster Nutbag »

That makes sense that he read a lot of literature... and I had heard that before. I had to get the dictionary out to even make sense of medicine hat.

It seems very few people actually read these days for interest or enjoyment unless their HS or college class requires them. A lot of my friends think it is weird that I read books. I would assume a lot of people on this board are reader types tho considering the music and topics on here.

thediechiltons

Post by thediechiltons »

hey now,
falco (RIP) was a well educated man.
we have the board (SSL) that he used to record 'Rock Me Amadeus' on here in st. louis. it's in a renovated church/studio out in the middle of nowhere.
just sayin.... :lol:

swap 'falco' with 'richard marx' and ya got yourself a proper analogy.

i do see your point though....

dc

donny23

Post by donny23 »

Jay's mother ran a used bookstore in Belleville, and I read that he'd go there after school everyday. Thus, Jay's lyrics are more informed by great literature than those of, say, Falco.

Do kids today still read? I fear this generation of video game-obsessed kids don't have a clue about literature.

fadeaway

Jay and Literature

Post by fadeaway »

Just Curious if anyone sees any similarities between Jay and novels. I see a lot of Cormac McCarthy in some of his stuff. For instance, McCarthy uses Creosote the same way at the beginning of Child of God. At the beginning of Suttree he mentions repeatedly the high sheriff from hell. What do you think? Any other instances you can think of?