is "hanging blue slide" Jays best song?

Poster Nutbag

Post by Poster Nutbag »

yeah, March 16-20 is UT at the top of their game if you have not listened to that. The songs and the quility are probably their best too. Some of the tunes off of that are probably the best Jay and Tweedy songs IMHO. Even the covers which there are quite a few are done really well. The first album I heard of all Jays was No Depression and I honestly did not like it. Then I got into SV and not till later did I start loving all the old Tupelo stuff.

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

Hanging Blue Side is my favorite Jay Farrar song. Until I listen to Medicine Hat. Or Last Minute Shakedown. Or Slate. Or...

mcleod junction

Post by mcleod junction »

I own Anodyne. I like a couple of the songs.

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy »

mcleod junction wrote:yeah, I just dont get the UT stuff. Doesn't do anything for me. I guess it was a "had to be there" thing. I find the studio recordings very unimpressive.
If you're having a problem with UT recordings, give Anodyne another listen.

mcleod junction

yeah, I just dont get the UT stuff. Doesn't do anything for me. I guess it was a "had to be there" thing. I find the studio recordings very unimpressive.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

Here's a comp. CD I made about two weeks ago. It includes a few Tweedy tunes from UT, but this CD represents, to me, the cream of all things UT/SV/Jay. Of course this will change in the weeks and months to come, but this is a pretty accurate snapshot of what currently turns me on about UT/SV/Jay. These are in the same order on the CD.

No Depression
Sauget Wind
Whiskey Bottle
Screen Door
Acuff-Rose
New Madrid
If That's Alright (Edited)
Feel Free
Catching On
Gather
Out Of The Picture
Moonshiner (Live, edited)
Last Minute Shakedown
Wipe The Clock
Left A Slide
Live Free
Still Be Around
Anodyne
Sandusky (Edited)
Tear Stained Eye
Windfall

-gk-

Bigb

Post by Bigb »

I would have a hard time nailing down my favorite Jay/Son Volt songs. No list would be complete without Heart on the Ground and Six String Belief though. Doesn't Have to Be This Way would probably go on my list as well. Your list looks pretty good though. I'd listen to that!

mcleod junction

is "hanging blue slide" Jays best song?

I have been going over all of son volts and jay's solo work lately, and all of it is very high quality.

But there is a certain ass kicking ambience in hanging blue slide that really gets me.

In fact, I was thinking of putting together a greatest hits cd of jay and son volts work. Here is how it is shaping up:

1. windfall
2. tear stained eye
3.route
4.drown
5. chanty
6. hanging blue slide
7. live free
8. caryatid easy
9. back into your world
10. left a slide
11. creosote
12. no more parades