Iron Horse set list, Northampton (7/8)

beach

hoooooot

Post by beach »

it was so hot, i started thinking, "man this show is long." I looked down at my watch and only 40 minutes had passed since the show started...

although I thouroughly enjoyed anders opening, he played for almost as long as jay did. would've been nice to shorten the opening and have jay do a longer set.

that said, the ironhorse is always hot in the summer, and shows there are always shorter than you'd like.

a great night of music nonetheless...

beach

RK

Post by RK »

Thanks for your review. I was there too, agree with what you said.

Let's give them a break though...it was so HOT in there, I guess I can't blame them for not coming back (although it's really surprising he didn't)...

And, it's great he actually went to such a small venue--we are usually left out by most artists, and here we were, about 30 feet away with a great view of the most talented artist around. We're lucky!

sawyer

Post by sawyer »

seems augmented, heavy on TB as should be expected. thanks for the review!

Gnus ToMe

Iron Horse set list, Northampton (7/8)

Post by Gnus ToMe »

Got back around midnight from the nearly two-hour drive to Northampton. Overall, a great show, but I felt another song or two was called for at the end. Jay left the audience stomping for more when the it was all done, with just a one-song encore -- an inspired cover of the Beatles' "Love You To," to tide us over:
  • California *
    Gather *
    Tear Stained Eye *
    Hard is the Fall **
    Cahokian **
    Feel Free ***
    Make It Alright ***
    Heart On The Ground ***
    Fool King's Crown ***
    No Rolling Back ***
    All of Your Might ***
    Clear Day Thunder ***
    Damn Shame ***
    (Between these songs, Anders wanted to know what the state motto for Masschusetts was. Or as he said, "What's the fucking state motto of Massachusetts?" No one got it. Damned if I knew. Turns out -- thanks Google -- it's a mouthful: "Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem". Latin for: "By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.")
    Voodoo Candle ***
    Still Be Around**
    Dent County ****
    Vitamins ***
    Hanging On to You ***
    Windfall *

Encore:
    Love You To (Beatles) ***

* Jay and Mark Spencer on guitars
    ** Jay, Mark and Anders Parker on guitars
    *** Jay, Mark and Anders on guitar; Jud Ehrbar on drums
    **** Jay on keyboard; Mark and Anders on guitar
This was my first show at the Iron Horse, a nice club with an amazing musical legacy, but perhaps a smaller-than-expected venue for Jay's only New England appearance on this leg of the tour.

The place was pretty well packed -- and hot. If there was air conditioning somewhere in that 75-plus-degree room, few people found it. Even Jay, who said little during the show save for some sporadic but heart-felt thanks yous, had to comment after "Cahokian": "Is everybody cool? Yeah, right..."

I was standing (along with 30 or so others) near the bar because they had sold out of seats by 6:30 for the 7 p.m. show time. My view was better than I should have hoped for, right behind the sound board.

After a full 90-minute first set and the Beatles' encore, the crowd seemed to fully expect at least another song or two, if not a second encore. Even the sound guy was a little unsure if there was going to be any more music. After the band left the stage, it took at least a minute, maybe two, for the sound guy to check with the band and then bring the house lights up.

Still, a solid show, although I wonder why Jay didn't book anything closer to Boston. Don't know, but it seems particularly strange, given that Jay's playing the Bowery (twice) and the 9:30 Club this week.

-- Gnus :?