WILCO Chicago

dharmabeat

Post by dharmabeat »

not that i'm so into him, but kid rock swings right.

i was at the skidmore college show and tweedy definately was hamming up support for kerry and of course he got a great response from uninformed and impressionable college morons.

great set none the less and i appreciated the politically active songs (i.e. war on war, christ for president, ashes, be not so fearful, theologians)

Voltage75

Post by Voltage75 »

It would be nice if once in awhile
the bush gang would let us know what's going on in the world, but
no we have to find out months later
their so hush hush on everyhting
geez...that's what sucks about them
as for jeff it's his right, i'm a
follower of wilco and jay farrar and i doubt most people who listen
to these type of artists like bush
anyway, and if lee greenwood can sing his only hit "god bless the u.s.a. every moment he get's a chance and if talk radio can blab
seven days a week for bush then i think jeff should have a say as well!

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

Damn, here I am doubling my political commentary of the last four years in a mere two days time.

I don't have a problem with JT voicing his opinion and encouraging people to get out and vote. What I would be interested in is how he would react if the same people he is encouraging to vote don't vote for his guy (I'm assuming that would be Kerry).

I don't know exactly what he said at the Chicago show, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that his encouragement was laced with some lefty undertones. IF that is true (big IF) then that would definitely detract from my concert experience should I not happen to agree with his spin.

As I said in an earlier post, I whole heartedly reject the philosophy of "voting out" someone or "a vote for X is a vote against Y". That way of thinking seems, to me at least, to be a copout. It *implies* that one's motivation is based on a hatred or contempt of one candidate rather than a firm conviction in the person they end up voting for. As bad as things are with this administration, I don't see this country at that desperation point, at least not yet.

I am all too well aware that most people don't share this view, and that is fine. Personaly I will not be voting for either - in fact I may not even vote. Perhaps I am being overly idealistic, I don't know.

I do find it quite humorous that the extremely vocal Left in this country may be hugely dissapointed come tomorrow night, or several months from now once all the lawsuits are settled. This baby is a complete tossup. I just wonder who all these people are that aren't saying anything, because there sure must be an awful lot of them to keep this as close as it is. And if W wins then we will have to endure months and months of "the fix was in".

Lastly, no matter what happens tomorrow, I don't see a whole lot changing anyway. That's just my cynical, skeptical and idealistic self coming out. It'll make for great TV though.

-gk-

jeffra

Post by jeffra »

Gblues:
I smoke sometimes (not hardly anymore)...Just stating that each person should research the facts and not rely on other people to tell you what to do. Validated the point by including the babysitter and good ol dad.

Society polarizes us on politics and religion. We have to choose a camp, but I feel we all live in the grey.

We all love the same things in life: internet, music, sports, art, beer?, church?, books, and TV, and our family.
But we are willing to slice each others throat about politics.

Politics Polarizes. Read George Washington's farwell address. Its prophetic. He says (paraphasing) "Political parties will be the death of our country"

gblues

Post by gblues »

what the hell do you mean by "friends who get high",you almost had a half ass argument going there until you displayed your obvious ignorance with that silly comment.

keith21

Post by keith21 »

I don't think its that way at all. Yeah the artists on the VFC tour get praised by people who support the same cause, but not EVERYONe praises them, obviously. To act like Bush supporters are a repressed minority and that they're getting picked on is ridiculous. I can remember almost 2 years ago when the few of us who were against the invasion of Iraq were the subject of much more verbal abuse from both parties than Schilling or Toby Keith is now.

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

Why has it always been that way in entertainment, and now sports, that you are allowed to and praised for vocally supporting the left, but you are a goober if you support the right???

I mean it really is true like Jeffra said, Bruce and Eddie V and Mike Stipe and those guys are praised and glorified for "fighting for freedom" and getting out the vote. But guess what, Schilling is an american too, he has some clout and influence, so why is he not praised for using his influence to get out the vote. just because he leans right???

Either they are all idiots and we don't want to hear from any of them on either side, or they are all doing a good job using their influence to encourage voters no matter who they vote for.

What was puffy's slogan, "Vote or die"? or something like that.

jeffra

Post by jeffra »

That's what makes America special.

We have the right to voice our opinion. I have respect for Hank for making logical conclusions regarding politics, however we have a lot of uninformed people in the nation (ie: Jay Leno skit "jay walking")

Don't get me wrong I paid $45 bucks to see WILCO and enjoyed the show! But I am so damn tired of hearing the "Bush must go" from entertainers.

Funny how Curt Schilling of the Red Sox is getting abused for supporting Bush.

O'well, country divided on politics. But united we stand on taste of music!!

Should be a fun night tommorrow! I will enjoy the excitment and stories that come out of the elections.

One cheer for democracy and the people's right to vote. :D :D :D

professor_squishy

Post by professor_squishy »

Hank Snow wrote:Hey only one more day for these arguments!! Well, not including the court battles, that may take a while.

Personally here is how I see it, and I am right:

Bush has to go, Kerry must win.

I didn't get that from any musician, I have made an educated decision. I saw a news story recently showing that musicians and entertainers on either side have very little influence on the voters, if anything, they hurt the candidate. Whether it is Bruce or Nuge, or Toby Keith or the Chicks, or whoever, they have a right, but they really aren't making much difference.

As far as Tweedy talking about it at shows, saying "get out and vote" is awesome. Giving his own views and opinions can be trying if you don't agree with them, but then again, it's his show.

It'll all be over soon, Bush will be ONE AND DONE, just like his dear old dad.
God, I hope you're right...

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

Hey only one more day for these arguments!! Well, not including the court battles, that may take a while.

Personally here is how I see it, and I am right:

Bush has to go, Kerry must win.

I didn't get that from any musician, I have made an educated decision. I saw a news story recently showing that musicians and entertainers on either side have very little influence on the voters, if anything, they hurt the candidate. Whether it is Bruce or Nuge, or Toby Keith or the Chicks, or whoever, they have a right, but they really aren't making much difference.

As far as Tweedy talking about it at shows, saying "get out and vote" is awesome. Giving his own views and opinions can be trying if you don't agree with them, but then again, it's his show.

It'll all be over soon, Bush will be ONE AND DONE, just like his dear old dad.

Bigb

Post by Bigb »

And what makes you think that anyone in here is formulating their opinion based on Tweedy, Jay or anyone else's opinion? Did someone indicate that they were less informed than you? You voting for Bush certainly doesn't make you more informed. You getting upset about Tweedy voicing his opinion makes you look like a bitter guy though.

jeffra

Post by jeffra »

I love Wilco and Jay's music.....I just don't always agree with the politics.

I think all would agree that if you are voting because you are informed and interested in the future of America then I say: good

If are voting because Springsteen, Mellencamp, or Barbara Streisand is your favorite actor/singer/etc. then I say: bullshit

**Unfortunatly people get all their news and information from the wrong resources. If you want the truth then carefully research and formulate an opinion. Don't go by the word of CNN, Fox News, ABC, CBS, Mellencamp, Tweedy, local tavern, local church, friends that get high, your babysitter, and your dad that served in Korea. GET THE NEWS YOURSELF. BE INFORMED. FORMULATE WHAT YOU BELIEVE TO BE TRUE. HAVE A CONVICTION.

Because I do not agree with Kerry doesn't mean I agee with Bush all the time. We all have reasons why we vote and who we vote for.

cowboydown

Sucks wearing W'04 hats

Post by cowboydown »

jeffra wrote: BUT, he got the crowd wound up with his rants about the election. Hey I love the music, leave your personal bullshit back at the house. Just a "hey go out an vote" would be good enough for me. If you are going to vote for a party because a band told you to at a concert, then you are braindead and don't need to vote.

PS- I'm still voting for Bush <--- {braindead alert}

If a musician gets kids to go out and vote (JOHN KERRY '04) who normally would've stayed home playing GTA3 San Andreas then that's a credit to their influence.

Sucks wearing W'04 hats at shows during an election year. Are there any musicians that actually support this asshole?

Bigb

Post by Bigb »

yea, I'm with Murphy. I was at the show and I didn't notice anyone disagreeing with Jeff's comments. If you disagree, bite your tongue and wait for him to finish. You don't have to agree with him. If you feel obligated to boo, do it.

The weekend shows were awesome. Looking forward to Jay in 2 weeks.

Murphy

Post by Murphy »

Hey, why don't YOU leave your personal political b.s. "back at the house?"