WILCO Chicago

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

Hey Tiny Elvis I have missed these discussions, always a pleasure. Soon it will be over and we will only be able to talk about the court cases in Ohio and Florida. :D however I am really hungry and getting ready to go to lunch, so I can only elaborate a little.

Your paragraph that said this:
The bottom line is this: John Kerry is the most vile, dishonest, disingenious, disgusting candidate I have ever seen. The Democrats have completely abandoned their base and are sucking up to the hate-filled, intolerant left side of the party. It's sad. This isn't the party of JFK. This is the Algore/Dean wing of the party who will stop at nothing to win. All they want is power. It's sick.
Describes almost exactly to me the way I feel about the Bush administration. They are hate filled, right wing zealots, they have lock on INTOLERANCE, they are not the party on Lincoln, not even the party of Reagan. They are sad, and worse yet, they are SCARY cause of their power and the things they do to keep it.

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

I keep trying to post my response to Tiny Elvis, but it keeps erroring out on me. Is there a limit to the length that it can be? Mine was long. I will keep trying cause my word must get out.

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy »

TinyElvis wrote: 1. How is the war wrong? I just do not understand how we as Americans cannot support freeing an oppressed nation. Do you not want others around the world to have a taste of freedom?

2. Spending is wrong.. absolutley. Welcome to the right. Your guy Kerry wants to spend even more. And he is going to do it by taxing you and me.

4. Religious right is wrong.. please define the 'religious right' and what exactly is wrong with those of us who are Christians. TinyE
I couldn't resist responding to this one and I know I'll be bashed for being Canadian (because what could a Canadian possibly know about anything) but here goes:

1. Most people want evil assholes gotten rid of and most people would like to see freedom everywhere for everybody. People who didn't support the war aren't against freedom. Your premise is absurd. It's a matter of how and when, and if it were as simple as you suggest the world would be free by now. And if you were really so pro-freedom, why aren't you petitioning your President to invade Cuba?

2. Bush is the one who turned a surplus into a deficit, not Kerry. It was the left who got the US's financial house in order. And don't feed me that bullshit about 9/11 and the stock market crash. If those events were so devastating economically, then he shouldn't have given out tax cuts. Remember his dad? "Read my lips, no new taxes". Well, he raised taxes because he had a war to fight. It cost him the election but at least he didn't jeopardize the financial security of the country just to stick to a campaign promise. That's what a leader does when situations change, it's called understanding complexity, something W sorely lacks.

4. The Religious right is a group of people who put religion ahead of seperation of church and state, science, and tolerance. What's wrong with Christians? You tell the rest of the world that they're literally going to hell unless they accept Jesus as their savior. Not only do I distrust anyone who speaks for God, anyone who is so certain of their faith is seriously fucked. Faith requires uncertainty, otherwise it's not faith. I have nothing against Christians per se, but the whole spreading the gospal thing is just downright creepy. Accept your religion for what it is, a guess based on faith which you provides you with comfort and a code by which to live, just like every other religion. But you don't have to listen to me - I'm going to hell, right?

hollywood44

Post by hollywood44 »

Saw a reference to "under God" being removed from the pledge...

There was no reference to God at all until the 1950s. "Under God" was added at that time as a means of filtering out alleged Communist sympathizers during the McCarthy era.

I really have no strong opinion on removing it or not, but the notion that it's a long-standing tradition is not exactly correct, unless of course 50 years is enough to establish it as a tradition.

H-Bomb Henry

Post by H-Bomb Henry »

4. Religious right is wrong.. please define the 'religious right' and what exactly is wrong with those of us who are Christians. Is hypocrisy wrong.. is using religions for political gain wrong? Listen to your boy Kerry my friend. He is trying his best to sound religious but sounds like a fool as he doesn't know Scripture.
I am a Christian but I'm quite tired of seeing negative ads stating that this candidate supports taking God out of the pledge and so forth. There is this movement happening where one candidate states that "God wouldn't vote for the other guy". This is completely frightening to me. I work with a lady who told me today that she voted for Bush because her preacher told her that voting for Bush was the Christian thing to do. I really don't get how Bush is more of a Christian than Kerry.

All they want is power. It's sick
Do you work for Haliburton?

I'll let Hank answer the rest of the questions.

jeffra

Post by jeffra »

Man this is great chatter....Feels good to express opinions freely without the threat of getting pulled out of the house by a dictator's goon squad.

Some say the war is wrong, but the result of our country's efforts will echo for generations throughout the middle east and the rest of the country. Let it be known that the people fighting our troops are uninformed religious zealots, and not the good loving regular Iraqi Joe. Terrorists have been waiting decades (maybe centuries) for this moment to fight Americans in the middle east. They got their wish as a result of the power vaccum in Iraq. When it settels, what we dropped on the midle east is a document called a constitution. No matter how much we candy coat, act PC, and say "no" to war, there will always be tyrannts holding down the freedom of people. I like my freedom here. One cheer for the troops fighting for freedom :D

Hey that democracy thing isn't too bad after all.

TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis »

Hank Snow wrote:...We have had all of these discussions before on here, but man, Bush has got to go. The war is wrong, the spending is wrong, the fear is wrong, the religious right is wrong. I don't like it...
Sorry Hank.. you know I cannot resist responding to you. Please tell me WHY you believe what you believe.

1. How is the war wrong? I just do not understand how we as Americans cannot support freeing an oppressed nation. Do you not want others around the world to have a taste of freedom? Why is your side deceiving itself for political gain? The only reason you feel this war is wrong is because the wrong guy is in charge.

2. Spending is wrong.. absolutley. Welcome to the right. Your guy Kerry wants to spend even more. And he is going to do it by taxing you and me.

3. Fear? What are you talking about? Have you heard the venom that Kerry and company are spewing? Draft... repeal of civil rights... removal of social security. Your side is preying on the weakest among us which is despicable.

4. Religious right is wrong.. please define the 'religious right' and what exactly is wrong with those of us who are Christians. Is hypocrisy wrong.. is using religions for political gain wrong? Listen to your boy Kerry my friend. He is trying his best to sound religious but sounds like a fool as he doesn't know Scripture.

The bottom line is this: John Kerry is the most vile, dishonest, disingenious, disgusting candidate I have ever seen. The Democrats have completely abandoned their base and are sucking up to the hate-filled, intolerant left side of the party. It's sad. This isn't the party of JFK. This is the Algore/Dean wing of the party who will stop at nothing to win. All they want is power. It's sick.

TinyE

Bigb

Post by Bigb »

I don't see people supporting the right getting bashed anymore than people supporting the left. You may see it on message boards for bands that you like but generally the country seems to be pretty 50-50 split. For the life of me, I can't figure out why but that's neither here nor there.

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

keith21 wrote:I don't think its that way at all. Yeah the artists on the VFC tour get praised by people who support the same cause, but not EVERYONe praises them, obviously. To act like Bush supporters are a repressed minority and that they're getting picked on is ridiculous. I can remember almost 2 years ago when the few of us who were against the invasion of Iraq were the subject of much more verbal abuse from both parties than Schilling or Toby Keith is now.
What I was getting at is in general, I see all of the stars supporting the left as getting lots of praise, and stars who support the right getting criticized. In general, it has always been that way.

I voted this morning, weird standing in a line knowing I am probably the only person NOT voting for Bush, but hey, this is Oklahoma.

We have had all of these discussions before on here, but man, Bush has got to go. The war is wrong, the spending is wrong, the fear is wrong, the religious right is wrong. I don't like it.

Get out and vote, no matter who you vote for, but we need Kerry to win. take it from me I am going to be on the Jay Farrar tribute album!!!

:lol:

Bigb

Post by Bigb »

dharmabeat wrote:not that i'm so into him, but kid rock swings right.

i was at the skidmore college show and tweedy definately was hamming up support for kerry and of course he got a great response from uninformed and impressionable college morons.

great set none the less and i appreciated the politically active songs (i.e. war on war, christ for president, ashes, be not so fearful, theologians)
You spelled definitely wrong Mr. Informed. That aside, your statement is still fairly moronic.

keith21

Post by keith21 »

dharmabeat wrote: of course he got a great response from uninformed and impressionable college morons.
Um, nice. I see your point. Education sucks. Adults who haven't put in the years that you have obviously have no fucking clue what they're talking about.

H-Bomb Henry

Post by H-Bomb Henry »

Well put. I really struggled to not write in Nader today. But when it came down to it I hate to see for more years of a lying boob. Bush is nothing more than a corporate reject who has now finally made a lot of corporations rich off his presidency.

"Republicans and Democrats can't give you the facts"

scalzunfield

Post by scalzunfield »

dharmabeat wrote:i was at the skidmore college show and tweedy definately was hamming up support for kerry and of course he got a great response from uninformed and impressionable college morons.

Quite an interesting notion, calling college students "uninformed" when you consider what the Bush Administration has done to the entire nation really. I really can't stand Kerry, but I'd rather not put Bush back in the White House because of a) the re-instated national debt, b) his war record, and c) he's a fucking moron.

CanadianVolt

Post by CanadianVolt »

up here in canada we'll be watching this election, for sure. within sips of booze and skunky funny smells, we wish you all the best of luck.

It doesn't matter which way the vote falls, nearly half your country will be pissed off when either Kerry or Bush is elected. This is a huge election, and very very close.

My prediction is that this election will go for weeks... :shock:

jamboxgod

Post by jamboxgod »

jesus christ i can't wait for wednesday morning.