Market is up... oil prices falling..

gb68

moving on

Post by gb68 »

cathodebias wrote:gb, with the passing of THE PATRIOT ACT everything is public. We might caution against this "private" journal.
In that case, the best option, if one feels an overwhelming need to express one's hatred, is to get some kind of counseling.

cathodebias

Post by cathodebias »

gb68 wrote
. Barring that, it may be best to take the expressions of your hatred elsewhere. Preferably in a journal or diary whose contents are not made public
gb, with the passing of THE PATRIOT ACT everything is public. We might caution against this "private" journal.

gb68

not protected speech

Post by gb68 »

cowboydown wrote:
I AM an American and patriot who served six years in the USARMY.

I'm NOT trying to be funny and I'M NOT threatening anyones life.
Either cowboydown was trying to be funny, or he was making a threat. If he was not trying to be funny, he succeeded. His original comment was not funny. If he was not trying to threaten anyone's life, he failed.

I know this post is several months old, written in the aftermath of a close and hard-fought election, but I feel compelled to respond. Everyone should know that the First Amendment does not protect threatening speech, and technically, saying that anyone should be killed qualifies as threatening speech, whether or not you think you were making a threat. "So-and-so needs to die," is not protected speech.

One's status as a veteran does not exempt one from the rule of law, nor does it give one carte blanche to ignore basic tenets of civility, decorum and common sense. While cowboydown may have had strong feelings at that time, the mature thing to do when one has such feelings is to recognize the feelings for what they are and to channel that energy in more constructive ways. Everyone from time to time has fleeting thoughts of hatred or violent fantasies. I am not suggesting that we must all have only pure thoughts every moment of our lives. I am saying that it is much healthier to recoginze those feelings for what they are and for one to keep them to oneself.

If, in the heat of the moment, you express yourself in a rash and unfortunate way, the mature thing to do is own up to it and express sincere regret. Worse even than saying "So-and-so must die," is to stand by your statement after having had the opportunity for further reflection. The refusal to back down from expressions of murderous intent is the very definition of "hatred." Hatred is irrational, and its introduction into discussion, quite frankly, makes further rational discussion impossible.

Please know, it is very infrequently that I even use the word "hate," and I never use the word to describe my feelings for another human being. It's a word I hear too often. To me, to hate something is to wish it gone forever. We're all going to go someday, anyhow. Ultimately, we all have little power to change the world. We can at least be mature and civil. Barring that, it may be best to take the expressions of your hatred elsewhere. Preferably in a journal or diary whose contents are not made public.

twitcher73

Post by twitcher73 »

jeffra wrote:With Cowboy's last remark....I will be leaving this message board for good if Cowboydown dosen't take back his last comments.

Its ridiculous to make statements about killing a sitting president and vice-president REGARDLESS OF POLITICS

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING? ARE YOU AN AMERICAN CITIZEN?

ITS NOT FUNNY AND IT IS DANGEROUS TO MAKE THOSE STATEMENTS.

PLEASE, SOMEONE BACK ME UP ON THIS ONE.

FREE SPEECH IS GOOD BUT HAS SOME ETHICS

Jeffra -

Backing you up... its good to have a political stand, but man, someone might consider that a threat, Cowboydown, and put your ass in jail for it. You can't throw around comments like that... you might think it's funny, but it can lead you into some serious trouble... and its not really cool to wish for anyone to die...

Hoops

Post by Hoops »

Very funny....not really, but yes.

sawyer

Post by sawyer »

My Morning Jacket wrote:Sawyer that list of facts is pretty impressive but one characteristic about them bothers me: none of those "facts" is cited. How do we know that someone over at moveon.org, CBS, CNN or ABC didn't just run out of things to hate Bush for and start making things up?
now now, i put my disclaimer in - take'em with a grain of salt, they're just from Google links. however i know some are true, but i need to go thru and look at them all then go get the CFRs and see what's changed. unlikely though unless i get paid. :lol: that's a big list.

cowboydown

Post by cowboydown »

Hank Snow wrote:CowboyDown If they get to you before Ashcroft is gone you will really be in trouble. He may subject you to that ultimate torture of his singing voice to get subversive information out of you.

I have seen a clip of him singing and was trying to find it. Instead I came across this http://www.unitedstatesgovernment.net/a ... insane.htm
Funny stuff. What a moron! It's a must see clip:

Ashcroft sings
U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft ended a speech at a Charlotte, North Carolina seminary with a rousing rendition of a song he wrote called 'Let The Eagles Soar' (February 25)

http://www.cnn.com/video/us/2002/02/25/ ... v.med.html

He might give Bill Shatner a run for his money.

Why is it christians always feel the need to break out in song?

here's some more from another insane prick:

http://stuffedpenguin.com/rumsfeld/lyrics.htm

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

I don't think you are referring to me MMJ, cause I have been nothing but polite and accomodating to all beliefs. However I do believe absolutely that if it were not for the evangelical vote because of the moral issues that Bush would not have won. That is not an insult or a bad thing or a put down of christians, it is the truth. I don't know the exact percentage but the christian right is a HUGE chunk of Bush's support, he could not win without it.

My Morning Jacket

Post by My Morning Jacket »

I can't hold it in any longer. Some of you guys want this country to believe that if it were not for the Evangelicals who went to the polls Kerry would be the President-elect right now. The left would have us believe that these Evangelicals are a bunch of wild-eyed nut-cases and, therefore, neither them nor the president they elected are worthy of any respect. Nut-cases? Hardly. Sure, every religion has it's share of whackos, but you people want everyone to fear people who are nothing more than traditional American families who have adopted and who live by a set of values that should be admired, not feared. NOW WHO'S CLOSED MINDED? Bush won please get over it. If you hate the President and the half of this country that voted for him that bad, please do yourself a favor and move to another country. I'm sorry to come off like this but jeeeez stop blaming Bush voters for stuff that is wrong with your party. This is what you get when you nominate the most liberal man in the senate. NeoDems are way too left to ever win an election in this country and that has been proven this year. I'm done and again, I'm sorry for sounding like/being an a-hole.

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

CowboyDown If they get to you before Ashcroft is gone you will really be in trouble. He may subject you to that ultimate torture of his singing voice to get subversive information out of you.

I have seen a clip of him singing and was trying to find it. Instead I came across this http://www.unitedstatesgovernment.net/a ... insane.htm

cowboydown

Post by cowboydown »

My Morning Jacket wrote:
Malarkey Dartboard wrote: I think Cowboy hit enough keywords in that one to justify an interview with the FBI.
Or you could click here: https://tips.fbi.gov/ 8)
Ooooooo - the same organization the could have prevented 9/11 in the first place will direct efforts to investigate anonymous comments made on a fansite. Now that's fucking funny! You're a tinpot dipshit.

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

In the words of the great president William Jefferson Clinton, "I feel your pain" H Bomb. I live in Oklahoma, and you just don't get much more right wing christian fundamentalist christian than that. I work at a research lab with a lot of scientists from all over the world, so at least in this environment there is a lot of balance with different views, in addition to the locals who are for the most part strong Bush supporters.

To those Christians you work worth on the subject of the seperation fo church and state, remind them that the founding fathers, authors of our constitution seperated church from state.

No offense to anyone of any faith, I have already stated my views on that. This nation was NOT founded on the Bible or Christianity, there is no state religion, no group or relgion or faith has a lock on morality. It was founded on the Constitution, on freedom.

jeffra

Post by jeffra »

I am done with politics for a while....its been fun, frustrating, and interesting. Funny how this stuff pops-up on a Jay Farrar message board.

*Remember in Saving Private Ryan when the Sarge and Casy Affleck(?), part of the same group, are about the kill each other over an argument (out in the field were the Giovanni got killed) and Tom Hanks abruptly ends the argument to tell the soldiers where he is from and what he does for a living (teacher). Both parties stop bickering and the crew remembers why they are there and what they are trying to accomplish.

I think we need Jay to intervene with some samples of the new album, similiar to Tom Hank's role in the movie, to soothe the storm on the message board!...Could we all agree to that?! :)

O'well....

Its a nice day outside, I got paid, my belly is full, and I am heading down to the river to wade and hope to snag some smallmouths. Its nice to see the fall foilage and feel the cool crisp air this time of year.

I am thankful for this country and our way of life.

I've got Buckner's Bloomed album on in the vehicle, so I might take it slow on my way down to the river.
:D
Everyone have a good weekend, and God Bless America.

Jeffra

H-Bomb Henry

Post by H-Bomb Henry »

Hank Snow wrote: There is no Bush Revolution like some headlines have said and there is not going to be a revoution against Bush like many have said. Democracy works, Bush won, life goes on, in '06 there is a pretty good chance there is going to be some pay back in the house and senate elections. In '08, there is going to be another battle.

Life goes on, it's not the end, we live in the best country on earth and a peaceful election process is just one of the many great functions of our government. Enjoy it and your freedoms, cherish them.
I'd have to say over these past couple of days I've had some real anger issues over this election. I work with a lot of Republicans that have fueled my anger for about a week. With quotes like "I voted for Bush because Kerry tried to seperate the church from the state and this country was built on Christian ideals", I get very fearful that Mr. Bush will try to push his morals upon me.

Now I consider myself a Christian but I am not a prophet like Mr. Bush. Since I voted for Kerry fellow Republican citizens have made me feel as if I am a pawn of Satan. Now I haven't gone as far as wishing the Bush administration dead but if I woke up tommorrow and I never heard from them again they wouldn't be missed.

I guess I'll just look at the bright side with these tax breaks I'm getting I may be able to pay my energy bill this winter.

My Morning Jacket

Post by My Morning Jacket »

Malarkey Dartboard wrote: I think Cowboy hit enough keywords in that one to justify an interview with the FBI.
Or you could click here: https://tips.fbi.gov/ 8)