31-40
41%
40+
15%

Total votes: 71

grainpulp

Post by grainpulp »

"and we LIKED it.... just fine...."

First, I must thank my family for bestowing such great music upon me. My trail to the joys of all things Uncle Tupelo was sort of roundabout..... I suppose, in RETROspect, the first thing I heard was Son Volt's Trace just played around family gatherings, I remember loving "Windfall" and "Tear Stained Eye" and stuff. But I was still a pretty wee man, and didn't think to pursue anything. Then, later, on a lake in Wisconsin my uncle played me "California Stars" from the Mermaid Avenue stuff. But no one ever told me that this band Wilco and that other band Son Volt were connected. Regardless, I still trudged along. THEN, when I was a freshamn in high school, my uncle gave me Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. This album consumed me, and I finally looked into the band, to realize that "hey this guy Jeff Tweddy and this other guy Jay Farrar were once in a band together! Oh, and that band Son Volt was Jay's band after UT!" This moment of realization opened the floodgates for my main musical obsession. That was kind of long.

gblues

in good fun!

Post by gblues »

Maybe not Mr. Squishy but I do remember the first time I heard my father put in Led Zepplin, sneaking out to catch the Groobees & sneaking in the back of the Nat because I wasn't old enought to go in the front,driving across Texas with twenty dollars in my pocket to see a good friend play at a bar I couldn't afford to see him in & sitting in a shitty apartment hearing Uncle Tupelo for the first time & some how found an emotional medicine in the whole thing.

So take your heart meds. & get to bed,it's almost seven!

heh

Post by Sticky »

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

my turn:
Back in my day, there weren't no ALT-TER-NAT-TIVE COUNTRY! The Scorchers played COWPUNK and WE LIKED IT! If the Primitives played the Liederkranz, we walked sixteen miles, uphill, through three feet of snow, barefoot, EVEN IN THE SUMMER... AND WE LIKED IT!!! Taped a couple Carpenter's 8 tracks to our feet for snowshoes and off we went. If you wanted to call your neighbor, you walked to the end of the driveway and yelled "HEY, YOU HOME?" Cell phones, shmell phones, I say. AND I LIKE IT!!!!

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

Professor you brought a tear to my eye. Having grown up in Indiana (still live there) and at 48 SLIGHTLY older than you I remember the 8 tracks very well. Clunk, thunk right in the middle of a song. Thanks.

professor_squishy

Post by professor_squishy »

45 (*gulp*)

[begin old-timer rant]
You young whipper-snappers don't know what listening to music is until you've ridden in a 63 Corvair Monza convertible in the dead of winter in Indiana after downing about 10 Little King's cream ales listening to Aerosmith "Get Your Wings" on an EIGHT-TRACK using your sister's copy of "The Carpernters Greatest Hits" EIGHT-TRACK as an ice-scrapper on the INSIDE of the windshield so you could see enough to drive! Nah, you kids have your fancy "CD"s and "Ipods" and such... shit... you'll never know how hard it is to shop-lift an LP!

Now get off your computers and finish your homework! Oh, and don't forget to take out the trash like your Ma told ya!
[end old-timer rant]

princess buttercup

Post by princess buttercup »

but everyone pegs me as 28, so I'm happy with that

Post by Sticky »

41, I'm actually pre-UT. Back to The Primitives. Saw them several times before they changed the name. I remember the first time I saw them (as a three piece), when they played Cinnamon Girl, I looked at Joe and said "Wow, these guys are going to be really f***ing good." He just said "Yep." (I guess you had to be there.)

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

I'm a 41/UT guy. Specifically, I went to a play in 1990. I can't remember a damn thing about the play but I vividly remember Will Quinlan, a Tampa area guy playing an acoustic show before the play began.I really liked him. He played this song that at the time I assumed was his .It blew me away."Man this guy is the shit " (which he truly is by the way. For the life of me I can't figure out why he can't get signed so more folks can enjoy it.If you ever come across Pagan Saints or Murder Creek, his bands, listen!) Anyway the song was Screen Door by Uncle Tupelo as he said afterwards and the rest ...is history.

gblues

Post by gblues »

I am 22 & heard Uncle Tupelo first when I was 15. I discovered the other stuff soon after,but it all started with Uncle Tupelo & boy am I happy that happened.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

I'd be curious to see the breakdown for each age group on how they came to be Jay fans. I'm guessing the 31 and up guys and gals would be heavier in the UT influence versus the younger guys who came to Jay through Son Volt or even Wilco.

Personaly I'm a 38/UT kinda guy.

Anybody care to add?

-gk-

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

I guess im in the OLD Farts catagory. 38

gblues

heh

Post by gblues »

That is kinda frightening saratoga,but it still made me giggle.

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

"Oh how I love youth. The young are fruitful, sweet and my favorite kind of meat."
Mary Kay Letourneau and Whacko Jacko

gblues

Post by gblues »

"Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late"
Benjamin Franklin

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »