today i'm getting a banjo!!!!!!!!!!!

Just Some Dude

Post by Just Some Dude »

The banjo may be the coolest instrument of all time. Stick with it.

kittkatt

Post by kittkatt »

pretty much the same situation with what i'm playing. it's a loaner from one of my dad's friends, because i don't want to invest a lot of money in an instrument until i've really committed myself to it (or until i'm committed, whichever comes first :twisted: ). this thing had been sitting around unplayed for lord knows how long and was damn filthy when i got it. i took it apart to clean it when i brought it home, and when i took the resonator off a mes sof cobwebs and dead spiders fell out. needless to say it sounds a bit better now. i still need to get it professionally cleaned, have the bride reset, put new strings on it. there's a music store here with a guy who specializes in banjos. i recommend calling around from store to store, and eventually you'll find someone who knows what they're doing.

countryBoy

Post by countryBoy »

Wooo Hooooo banjo's rule! I applied for a line of credit with an online retailer and ordered one of each, a banjo, lap steel and mandolin. I've had the itch for a while and I hope to be frailing away by X-Mas.

Coffee Creek

pickin' and a grinnin'

Post by Coffee Creek »

I have an old banjo that was passed to me some time back.

It needs to be cleaned up and tuned.

I can't identify the maker. But, it's a 5 string (with only three strings attached :wink: ).

Any suggestions on how to find out the history of this particular banjo?

thanks,

-- CC

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

I got a banjo about a month ago. I love it. I really only break out old Woody Guthrie covers on it, but it's a blast. I was surprised by how easy it was. Sure, I'm not going to be lightning fast in a hoe-down anytime soon, but for basic accompaniment, I'm already pretty proficiant.

Since it's open-G, it's not much different than playing on the bottom strings of a guitar. I guess all my years of playing with shitty ska bands in early-high school helps working the chords down there.

I had a lot harder time learning the mandolin...hell, 3 years later and I still suck at the mandolin. I can do the whole strum thing with a few little runs, but anytime my wife puts on Chris Thile's solo album, I know it's a lost cause. I'm a shitty lead player on guitar, even after 8 years, so what can I expect.

Good luck with the banjo, it's a lot of fun.

Also, Sticky, I know all about that feeling. I've played bass since I was 12, then had to learn guitar when I was 17...the guitar felt like I would break it...so small.

Tommmy

Got a banjo, too...

Post by Tommmy »

...actually, hard to play. Was going "pregnant" (in mind) to get one after a a show of David Eugene Edwards (16Horsepower/Wovenhand) some months ago. More brilliant than the sun! The show in general and his banjo playing in special.
Is everyone familiar with his music? It´s hard for me to identify his playing style. I started with tunes using the clawhammer technique. Unfortunately couldn´t contact Mr. Edwards personally to get some recommendations how to learn /get used to his style.
Any help out there?
Keep on!
Tommmy

kittkatt

Post by kittkatt »

dude, i'm still working on playing all whopping 7 notes of "old joe clark" correctly on a consistent basis. and learning a different tablature is a pain in the ass too. mind you this is all still on just the bottom three strings. it'll be a while before i'm pickin' out anything even remotely recognizable. but i'm having a lot of fun with it, and i do think i have the potential to get halfway decent with the thing. and fun's what's important right?

damn these blisters are making it hard to type. guess i should actually try using picks.

grainpulp

Post by grainpulp »

Too bad this all didn't happen earlier.... you could have donated a solo banjo version of a Farrar song for the tribute album. Maybe a banjo rendition of Space Junk IV.....?

kittkatt

Post by kittkatt »

i've got blisters on me fingers...

cowboydown

Post by cowboydown »

kittkatt wrote:i just spent an hour and a half playing the same twelve measures over and over and over and over. this is the first instrument where i haven't minded doing that. i love this thing.
It's good to love something... I wantabanjotoo....

kittkatt

Post by kittkatt »

i just spent an hour and a half playing the same twelve measures over and over and over and over. this is the first instrument where i haven't minded doing that. i love this thing.

Post by Sticky »

After a lot of years playing bass, I can palm a basketball in my left hand and I'm only 5'11". When I decided to play guitar again I had the same feelings you're having. The guitar felt like a toy and I had to make little tiny movements. It's taken a couple years, but now it feels "right". I'm still a ham-fisted hack with bad technique, but I'm not uncomfortable on the instrument anymore. Just make sure you spend a little time with it every day.

cheers

kittkatt

Post by kittkatt »

good lord this instrument was definitely designed by an inbred mountain man with tiny fingers. either that or my right hand is really fat and i just don't know it.

kjdacrippla

Post by kjdacrippla »

you've heard the one about the banjo player that left his banjo in the backseat with the windows down?

he came back and there were two of them.

kittkatt

Post by kittkatt »

woohoo, just learned two chords, oh yeah, i'm doin' it...