Need guitar opinions

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

Yeah, Taylors are great. I got mine because the Martin DXM I bought caused my hands to break out in wierd blisters. Something with the wood they used. So I was forced to get something else instead. Came down to a Fender Resonator, but when the salesman pulled down the Big Baby, I was sold. I love the guitar, plus you get some good support from the company and a newsletter. Good company.

notropis

Post by notropis »

I have a Taylor 310, and I must say I love it. I would recommend to anyone. I lucked out and found mine in pawn shop for 600. No electronics, but I have used one of those portable pick-ups and plugged in, sounds just as good.

I would definatley recommend a solid wood guitar....BIG difference in sound quality.

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

I was able to get a really nice Gibson Jumbo J100 Extra for less than half price (under $800) from a guy on eBay. I couldn't be happier, awesome big fat loud bassy guitar.

I do like Taylor's too, really nice guitars.

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

My wife thinks so... :(

twitcher73

Post by twitcher73 »

mcarlton wrote:I have my eye on a nice Taylor 214 that I would love to snag but I already have 3 guitars.
Can you really have "too many" guitars, though? :lol:

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

I have my eye on a nice Taylor 214 that I would love to snag but I already have 3 guitars.

andylest

Post by andylest »

How much is the Wechter? Where is it made (US or Korea/Japan/China/etc)? Is it made out of solid wood, and if so, how much of the guitar (just top, or back/sides as well)? What type of wood is it made out of? What type of finish was applied? What are the dimensions of the body?

all of these things can DRASTICALLY effect the sound of the guitar unplugged. My experience with flashy-looking laminate-body acoustics manufactured in distant lands (if that's what this is), is that they all sound like ass.

I would NEVER buy an acoustic guitar without playing it first, especially if it's the acoustic sound that I'm most interested in.

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

I have a Taylor Big Baby that I love. It's super punchy. It's super loud and sounds good. I dropped in a seymour duncan acoustic pickup and ran the wiring throught the back strap pin...I love it.

twitcher73

Post by twitcher73 »

I don't know how much you're looking to spend, but if you can afford it, I would put the money into a nice Taylor solid body. I found a used Taylor 410 with the Fishman electronics for around 1k used. I just think it's about the best sounding guitar I've played... you can get a nice bright sound without losing the low end. I (heart) my Taylor.

Mort

Re: need guitar opinions

Post by Mort »

stratt wrote:There are lots of options out there, and personally I think most of them are better than an ovation. Especially if you want it to sound good unplugged.
Amen to that. My experience is that Ovation sounds bad unplugged. The round plastic body creates a strange sound and it is also impossible to keep on your lap if you play sitting down.

Buying an acoustic guitar online is always risky. Hands-on experience is what matters when buying an instrument - two guitars of the same make and model can feel very different. So if the guitar in question has lots of great reviews, 'your' instrument isn't necessarily a great one.

That said, availability in local stores (or lack of availability) and online prices makes it tempting to buy online. I bought an acoustic bass online in August and I am VERY satisfied. Saved $700 compared to the price in Norway, and the instrument is perfect!

Good luck to you!

M.

stratt

need guitar opinions

Post by stratt »

There are lots of options out there, and personally I think most of them are better than an ovation. Especially if you want it to sound good unplugged. Why not find an Alvarez cutaway if you like yours?

countryBoy

Post by countryBoy »

Musicians Friend has it. I read the reviews at harmony and some folks there didn't like it. I really want to play one now before I buy and I'm considering an Ovation as well. I just don't want an electric acoustic just sounds good plugged in, if only my Alvarez was a cut away I be set with just getting a pickup.

Post by Sticky »

Where are you ordering it from? I can check local, not sure who carries Wechter.

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

Have you check on Harmony Central for any reviews? they are usually helpful.

http://harmonycentral.com

countryBoy

Need guitar opinions

Post by countryBoy »

Has anybody ever played a Wechter Pathfinder? I'm considering buying one but we don't have any here in town so I would be buying online without touching it first. Out of 24 reviews on MF only one is bad and they didn't say much. What I really want to know is how it sounds unplugged. I would be using it primariliy unplugged and the electronics would just be a bonus. What I'm really after is the 19 clear of the body frets on an acoustic. Its been said it plays like a solid body electric.