Need guitar opinions

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

No, it's the fretboard. I'm allergic to rosewood and apparently, after further research, morado (the wood used for the board) is in the rosewood family. My right hand was fine until I restrung it and my thumb never broke out bad on my left hand because it didn't touch the fretboard.

andylest

Post by andylest »

sam6025 wrote:I love Martins, but I severly allergic to something they use in their guitars, so I can't have one. I bought the DXM and was hospitalized after my hands broke out with horrible blisters. So, remember this: Taylors are good for us weird allergy having folks!
The DXM series is made from some sort of weird chemically-composite material. That might be what's causing your problems. The great thing about the 15-series is that they are 100% solid mahogany-- no laminates, no weird chemicals, nuthin but solid wood. It doesn't get much more natural than that.

I couldn't agree more with Mark on Taylors- great guitars, but lacking in vibe (to me, anyway). I had a DM for a few years and ultimately sold it, a decision I regret tremendously. For the money you can't beat the 15 series and the "M" series. Just my humble opinion.

Bound to Get Burned

Post by Bound to Get Burned »

I have to agree with Mark on the Martins. I have a Martin DM and in my opinion sounds fantastic. Its well-built to last and plays very smooth. The mahgony Martins that Mark was talking about have a more mellow sound than the DM. These guitars are excellent for the price.

By the way, I used my Martin DM (aka: Bessie) on my version of "No Rolling Back". It might not be the best miking job, but it still sounds good when you listen to it.

My opinion.

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

I love Martins, but I severly allergic to something they use in their guitars, so I can't have one. I bought the DXM and was hospitalized after my hands broke out with horrible blisters. So, remember this: Taylors are good for us weird allergy having folks!

I like my Big Baby, I agree, it's not super deep sounding, but it's really jangly and punchy, which I enjoy. But I agree with Spencer, had it not been for my horrible physical reaction to the DXM, I'd have kept it...Martins sound thick when you play them, powerful. Perhaps when I get a few thou in the guitar fund, I can get a Martin with a laquered fretboard...I can dream.

I too want the full specs on the custom T-60. We got a preliminary speech about it, but I want the full deal...

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

Thanks Mark!

I know what guitar to buy next! And the price is really good compared to the corean Crafter I bought some years ago for 500 bucks!(Norway's stupid to live in that way) I'm a campfire/too many Newcastle Browns guitar player as well, altough I lived with a former guitar teacher who had lessons from Joe Satriani if that counts concerning my playing:)

Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

Great information on the Martins....I am strictly hobby campfire guitar player but I love my Martin DM..it's like my favorite thing...

Sounds like maybe I should have taken a closer look at the 15 series although I love my guitar that is about 3 years old...

I'm considering putting the Fishman pickup in it but am concerned a little bit that it would effect the sound when it is not plugged in..

Like I said I am strictly an amateur..any suggestions on a reasonably priced acoustic oriented amp??? Thanks in Advance..

Mark Spencer

Martin 15 Series Link

Post by Mark Spencer »

Last edited by Mark Spencer on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Spencer

Post by Mark Spencer »

Last edited by Mark Spencer on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

countryBoy

Post by countryBoy »

I put my search on hold until I can get out and do some more looking local. I really liked the idea of the Wechter but can't pull the trigger without playing it first. Honestly I wasn't expecting superior tone from a $500 acoustic I just don't want to risk it being so bad I wouldn't ever use it. I listed some stuff I'm not using on eaby and if it sells I may take a chance buying it and if I don't like it it can be my new stuff I don't use. I looked at some Taylors last week but really didn't like any enough to buy it. There is a few independants here that only sell acoustics and I'm going to look there on my next day off.
Last edited by countryBoy on Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

Well, my wife is cool with the acquisition of new instruments, she just doesn't get why I'd want multiple electric or acoustic guitars.

Right now I have a Taylor Big Baby, another cheap acoustic for alternative tunings...a Horner I believe, a Peavey T-60, a dulcimer, a rogue electric/acoustic mandolin, a lap steel and a banjo, all of which I got post marriage, so she can be understanding. She bitches a bit, but doesn't take it too far.

Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

Hilarious topic.....I was married for 15 years and since my divorce in the last two years have bought a telecaster a Martin and a Mandolin...

Best thing that ever happened to me...Don't make me choose between my Martin and a Woman......Don't make choose between my Golf schedule and a Woman....It may not be what she wants to hear..

Um.....I guess that means I'm selfish.............and Happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wink:

Post by Sticky »

Mort wrote:
sam6025 wrote:My wife thinks so... :(
So I'm not the only one with that problem...? :shock:
That's why I'm single. I have eight guitars. I wouldn't trade any of them for a wife.

cheers

twitcher73

Post by twitcher73 »

I had to make many sacrifices and concessions to have my wife's permission to plop down money for my Taylor. It's been a year now, and with therapy I'm still ticking.

Anyway - yes, someone mentioned solid wood - very good... get at very least a solid top... you talk solid back and sides and you're throwing a lot more money into the mix. So - depending on your budget - I would say if all you can afford is a laminate top, don't bother... buy a cheap zither or dulcimer... or just save your pennies until you can at least score a solid spruce top. :o

notropis

Post by notropis »

definately not! haha...

i get the evil one-eyed look everytime I mention another guitar.

Mort

Post by Mort »

sam6025 wrote:My wife thinks so... :(
So I'm not the only one with that problem...? :shock: