Tribute Reviews?

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

Well I've listened to the CD 6-7 times now, and it really does sound good.

I'm not qualified to give a full review, and since my English can suck when I'm least expecting it to, I'll just mention a few that I liked.

Tear stained eye was kinda the intanst classic on the CD.. I really dig the tempo, the laidbackness of the vocals... It's simply really good.

Still be around sort wanted me to check out some Joni Mitchell and Joan Baez stuff again, it's been said before, but I'll say it again: You got a great voice!

Back into your world could've been outstanding instead of just being really good if a bit more feeling was put into the vocals. Really great tune!

My favourite song however was Drain which had an amazing vocal performance by tedious if not mistaken(I don't have the flippin' artwork to back me up as I write) Tindersticksy and just so emotional, Fantastic! the bluesy licks disturbed me a bit though, kinda felt they should've been more groovy to make the song perfect.

Ok and there was one guy sounding like he has an alter ego doing some singing now and then in the Bottle Rockets which was cool.. And one guy sounding like a character from South Park :shock: But that was really cool too.

To summ it up; I'm dealing with alot of talented people on this board! I wanna thank everyone who contributed on this disc, 'cause you've all done good job. (the reverb thing bugged me too though)

Maybe I should contribute on traced 2 or 3 or something. Need a recorder though. I wonder how I would sound(when I put on an american accent it's really hard to tell the difference between me and Jay when we talk) may this goes for the singing too? Don't think so, but I gotta go and buy myself a recorder soon... :wink:

Peace, love
Frenchie Fenry

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

Well.. I got it in the mail from tedious today.. I'm awestruck here.. This is some seriously good stuff! Special thanks to tedious for mailing me the CD, you're the man!

Peace, love
Frenchie Fenry

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

I can do Skip's Song.

windshield

Post by windshield »

I hear Stag has REAL ULTIMATE POWER and can be nice and refreshing or totally awesome

Post by Sticky »

I got "I Drink Stag!". :shock:

cheers

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

We should do a Bottle Rockets tribute!

keith21

Post by keith21 »

That folk one was my first on the Via Chicago board. I sent my submission in, but I don't think its been released yet.

Post by Sticky »

Pretty sure Good Times was an original. Can't remember if it morphed into something else or went the way of Pickle River (was that ever recorded/released?).

I think a UT tribute might be fun too, but I've kind of gone back and forth. Maybe we could invite the Via Chicago folks in and have a pseudo UT Reunion. If we can get Mike to referee, it just might work! :shock:

cheers

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

I'm saying do a mix. I've been considering doing "Good Times" from the demos. Is that an original song or was it a cover?

caliber66

Post by caliber66 »

Sticky wrote:
dEvRoNiKa wrote: Poll – who’s more of a perv, Sticky or Saratoga Jay?
; >
I was winning by a mile, but saratoga has been making some sweet ninja-like moves lately.
sam6025 wrote: I would love to do a UT tribute with some of Jeff's songs. That'd be a blast.
Thay've done several on Via Chicago (3, I think). Haven't heard much of them. I think the latest was a folk tribute, but I could be wrong. I don't think any of them included Whiskey Bottle. :shock:

cheers
If it was on one of the VC tributes, it's a Jeff Tweedy song, so Whiskey Bottle would definitely not be on there...

Post by Sticky »

dEvRoNiKa wrote: Poll – who’s more of a perv, Sticky or Saratoga Jay?
; >
I was winning by a mile, but saratoga has been making some sweet ninja-like moves lately.
sam6025 wrote: I would love to do a UT tribute with some of Jeff's songs. That'd be a blast.
Thay've done several on Via Chicago (3, I think). Haven't heard much of them. I think the latest was a folk tribute, but I could be wrong. I don't think any of them included Whiskey Bottle. :shock:

cheers

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

dEvRoNiKa wrote:I might just compose an original titled Real Ultimate Power
I think there's going to be a race to be the first to submit a song title by that name. Maybe I'll rename my dart team to that. :)

-gk-

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

I'm there dude...gotta work it all out on the 8-track over the holiday...

I would love to do a UT tribute with some of Jeff's songs. That'd be a blast.

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

Wow – song selections galore. I’ll put together a medley.
No, not really.
First order of business – GET NEW FULL-BODY GUITAR STRAP/HARNESS WITH CHASTITY BELT OPTION AND DUAL PURPOSE THROWING STAR GUITAR PICKS.

Acuff Rose – Oh no you didn’t.

I love Sandusky. It would be awesome on accordion with accompanying mouth-harp.

Ten Second News. I’d sing over your instrumentation, Sam(6025).
We’re both in Houston we could probably work that out with minimal hassle, OR you could send me an mp3 of the music and I’ll throw some vocal tracks up on that biotch.

I might just compose an original titled Real Ultimate Power, to round out my Greatest Hits record titled Devronika’s Massacre of Great Jay Farrar Songs, as I’m sure it’s his life’s dream to have all his music morphed into some kind of freaky Indigo Girls Lillith Fair Estrogen nightmare.

Poll – who’s more of a perv, Sticky or Saratoga Jay?

; >

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

Acuff Rose should be on a jeff or UT tribute if anything, unless you're talking just instrumental mandlin.

i must say, i bought the UT tribute 'for anyone that's listening' and was not impressed. THIS tribute has been the most pleasant surprise in recent memory. great order 1-15 on the songs, super mix of old/new, solo/band and i liked the different takes everyone chose.

thanks to all you guys for taking a slot in my 10 favorite releases of 2004! 8)