Tomorrow the Green Grass

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

I met Mark a few weeks ago when he played a show in my neck of the woods. The 2nd time I've seen him play. What a standout guy! Got my Political Manifest signed and everything...
Mark Olson wrote:I'll sign anything, unless it has some weird satanical writings on it
Can't wait till next time he gets in town!

coffeemonkey

Post by coffeemonkey »

I would say pick up anything by the Jayhawks as long as Mark Olson is in the band..it all sounded too much the same after he left and I lost interest in the Jayhawks...but green grass and Hollywood town hall are constantly still being played by me. And check out Marks solo stuff..The Creek dippers..great stuff.

barclocksays3am

Post by barclocksays3am »

Jayhawks faves...

Hollywood Town Hall-the best,not a bad song here

Tomorrow The Green Grass-almost as good as HTH,Gary`s guitar solo are great

Blue Earth-underated,plenty of good tunes

Mark Olson And The Creekdipper`s December`s Child is a good one too.

mcleod junction

Post by mcleod junction »

++bought this CD about the same time that I got WST. I listened to it a few times, but never really got into it and thus, put it away.

I've recently been listening to it again after a couple of years and find that I am really digging it. I know that this is Jay's board, but given the fact that many of you listen to similar types of music, can anyone give me any tid bits or background on TTGG? I know the UT toured with the Jayhawks for quite some time in the early 90's. Louris and Olson's songs are really strong on this disk. Any other suggestions++

Thats the way the Jayhawks worked for me, and alot of other people. At first your like "basic bar band music". You put it away for awhile. Then one day you fish it out of your collection , start lookg through the artwoek and put it on. After a couple listens you realize just ho good it really is. They go about their songwriting with back handed flourishes. They are magical, and IMHO the best songwriting team since Lennon/Mcartney or Waters/Gilmour. The guitar work is phenomenal, and the songs have an alternative edge that makes them pretty timless sounding.

It's just like the baclk of the TTGG cd says :

" these songs have alot more than meets the ear at first listen".

" the songs are painted in colors".

They are genius.

Sadly, they broke up around 95 for artistic and family reasons. They Jayhawks went on to craft 3 more records, and Olson went on to craft 5 or 6 more.

There are 3 classic/genius Jayhawks records, and they are all with Olson. If you liked TTGG, you simply must get Hollywood Town Hall ( the previous record to TTGG), and then get Blue Earth(the previous record to Hollywood Town Hall).

You will be very happy ;)

After that, get Mark Olson and the creekdippers "decembers child" and mark olson and the creekdippers "my own jo ellyn".

Amazingly, Gary Louris and Mark Olson are getting together for a duo accoustic tour in a month. Do not miss it.

There's alot of things that can be said about Tomorrow the Green Grass ,and none of them are bad. It is IMHO one of the finest American records ever crafted, at home on a road trip or some laid back city bar. It's just beautiful.

homegrown

Post by homegrown »

Well, I always feel like I'm going against the grain a bit, but... Blue Earth is one of my top 2 Jayhawks records. Tomorrow, the Green Grass is the other. I've seen Marc Olson w/ Vic a couple of times, and the Jayhawks with different members, minus Olson many times. I've never seen them together before, so I am really looking forward to the Louris/Olson shows and hope to get to a few of them. They are both very talented musicians.

homegrown

Post by homegrown »

Well, I always feel like I'm going against the grain a bit, but... Blue Earth is one of my top 2 Jayhawks records. Tomorrow, the Green Grass is the other. I've seen Marc Olson w/ Vic a couple of times, and the Jayhawks with different members, minus Olson many times. I've never seen them together before, so I am really looking forward to the Louris/Olson shows and hope to get to a few of them. They are both very talented musicians.

homegrown

Post by homegrown »

tanyard

Post by tanyard »

TTGG is a great album. There was an ad on TV the other day for polo cologne, and the song was none other than "I'm gonna make you love me". I thought it a bit strange for that product, but worth hearing none the less. I hope they are making some cash from it.

JJ

Post by JJ »

Doesn't surprise me to hear that Louris was wearing a Wilco T-Shirt, after all both he and Tweedy were/are in Golden Smog.

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

HTH and TTGG are fantstic. I like HTH a bit more tho. I was into they jayhawks b4 I ever heard of UT. I like UT better now tho...

I have Rainy Day musio but I dont like it as much.

Goldtop

Post by Goldtop »

Tomorrow the Green Grass was the first Jayhawks album I got and it’s still my favorite by far. Blue was a minor radio hit out here and I really loved that song, bought the album and it just stuck right away. It’s timing was great too – there was a year when I discovered Wilco, Son Volt, the Jayhawks and Steve Earle and really started to lean towards that folksier sound. I’d always been into heavier rock and this is when I started accepting that country influences are a good thing; I’ve never looked back although I still like to bust out my Iron Maiden records sometimes.

The thing about TTGG (and HTH before it) is that Olsen and Louris’ voices blend so perfectly. They really are my favorite two-part harmony singers (except maybe Gram and Emmylou); the combination is much more powerful than either singer by themselves. I got really down on the Jayhawks and had written them off when I didn’t really like Sound of Lies or Smile. Then Rainy Day Music came out and I got it all over again. That’s a really beautiful record that Gary & them put together.

I really hope that Louris/Olsen tour makes it to my end of the country.

wrick

Post by wrick »

HTH and TTGG are great albums for sure, I love Mark's melodies and lyrics on those records and on his solo/Creekdippers records too (if only it weren't for that incessant background chirping on the latter). But I agree with one of the posters on a previous topic, Sound of Lies is the most gut-wrenching, spirited and beautiful of all Jayhawks albums. (Like all Jayhawks albums after it, but not HTH and TTGG), it has a couple of clunkers, but the great songs will floor you, and there are plenty of them. The sound of a band that has lost a big part of its force, searching for a new way, and succeeding beautifully. Check it out for sure.

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

I love that album too. Sound of lies is great too, very underrated. But I wasn't too keen on Smile or Blue Earth (Never heard their first album though) TTGG, HTH, and RDM will probably be what they'll be remembered most for of the albums they've made so far. I like the idea of Louris and Olsen working together again. I saw Mark and Victoria in April, what a fantastic concert! I wonder what that drunk Norwegian guy at the back were yelling all the time though; seemed to form a sentence with a message each time, but it always stopped abruptly :wink: I wonder if that's the same guy who hollered Moonshiner in Bergen :lol:

H-Bomb Henry

Post by H-Bomb Henry »

If I remember correctly there were some bankruptcy issues with that album. I find it ironic that probably one of my "All time top 5 albums" forced a band into bankruptcy.

To me the Jayhawks will always be the band that never got their due.

"Blue Earth" is a great album as well

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

i got into the jayhawks after UT/jay/jeff but i really love HTH and TTGG. I usually can't listen to Sound of Lies all the way through but there are 5-6 songs on there i love. i never really heard their other albums.
Last edited by saratoga jay on Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.