Alt.-Country Essence

Alexa

Re: neff is god

Post by Alexa »

fygmynt wrote:i totally agree. i was more familiar with his work with the japancakes, a band i've really liked for a few years now. i think he's also worked with the glands? he's one of those athens session musicians...like the girl who always used to play cello for the elephant six bands.

i know they have at least one copy of the star room boys debut at low yo yo stuff next to the 40watt. the greatest record store of ALL TIME. absolutely one of the things about the south that i'm going to miss the most. i may ask a friend of mine to pick it up and send it to me. then again, i may try half.com right now.........

~fygmynt
Not sure what Neff is doing now. IMHO, he was by far the best musician in Athens when I was living there, and as you know that is saying a lot.
(He's also very good-looking but I'll spare you from my swooning.)

Let me know how you like the first SRB's cd.

I like the 40 Watt, too--lotsa fun out on that dance floor...drunk and wild...LOL.

fygmynt

neff is god

Post by fygmynt »

i totally agree. i was more familiar with his work with the japancakes, a band i've really liked for a few years now. i think he's also worked with the glands? he's one of those athens session musicians...like the girl who always used to play cello for the elephant six bands.

i know they have at least one copy of the star room boys debut at low yo yo stuff next to the 40watt. the greatest record store of ALL TIME. absolutely one of the things about the south that i'm going to miss the most. i may ask a friend of mine to pick it up and send it to me. then again, i may try half.com right now.........

~fygmynt

Alexa

Re: woo-hoo!

Post by Alexa »

fygmynt wrote:yeah, i lived in athens for about five years before heading out here to fort collins, CO. and it's a pity, but i only got into the star room boys after they broke up. i probably had a dozen opportunities to see them live, but always found something else to do (that, and i was too poor to go to shows). but i bought the world just won't leave you alone about five months ago and absolutely love it.

i guess it's better late than never, eh?

~fygmynt
Hey I lived in Athens too for 7 years...just moved away a year ago...I know all the Boys really well...Too bad about them breaking up but Dave was having a lot of trouble writing songs near the end and there was some other strife in the band. Last I heard they were scattered to the four winds, although I think Neff is still with Japancakes...

Not only was Dave a great vocalist but Johnny Neff has to be one of the best peddle steel guys around; he's a genius. If you haven't heard their first cd, you really should give it a listen. It's even better than the second one! It's out of print now (I think), so it might be hard to find...but worth it.

fygmynt

woo-hoo!

Post by fygmynt »

yeah, i lived in athens for about five years before heading out here to fort collins, CO. and it's a pity, but i only got into the star room boys after they broke up. i probably had a dozen opportunities to see them live, but always found something else to do (that, and i was too poor to go to shows). but i bought the world just won't leave you alone about five months ago and absolutely love it.

i guess it's better late than never, eh?

~fygmynt

Alexa

Re: altish

Post by Alexa »

fygmynt wrote: now: the star room boys or drag the river or the jayhawks or son volt (at least trace) and wilco's being there....that's fucking country music. but in the midst of this musical revolution, somebody put the "alt" in front of it to distinguish it from the glitzy anti-country which had become known as the real "country".

so yeah...that's what i have to say.

~fygmynt
Cool...have you heard both of the Star Room Boys CD's and which do you prefer....? And--have you seen them live? They kick ass live. Or used to, before they broke up...

fygmynt

altish

Post by fygmynt »

somewhere in the past 9 months or so that i've been heavily into the genre, i came to the conclusion that "alt.country" is really just the new and pure breed of country music. someone else said something about nashville being crappy, and that's the heart of the matter. shania twain isn't country...neither are the dixie chicks or garth brooks. now: the star room boys or drag the river or the jayhawks or son volt (at least trace) and wilco's being there....that's fucking country music. but in the midst of this musical revolution, somebody put the "alt" in front of it to distinguish it from the glitzy anti-country which had become known as the real "country".

so yeah...that's what i have to say.

~fygmynt

v

Post by v »

np: the replacements recorded live july 1992 maddison wisconson

gb68

Post by gb68 »

The signature fragrance is to be called "Squeal Like a Pig".
Sure to make the wearer the most popular animal on the farm.

Alexa

Post by Alexa »

Momo wrote:This one is easy. Banjos and buttfucking.
I think you mean twang and bang. :wink:

sawyer

Post by sawyer »

:shock: you're terrible! :lol:

Momo

Post by Momo »

This one is easy. Banjos and buttfucking.

NoDepression

Post by NoDepression »

The essence is purity, honesty, rouge tales of days gone by........ when life was a simpler thing to bare with.

In Twang We Trust!

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

oops, not the jay's new signature fragrance thread i expected.

stevie

Post by stevie »

Its an interesting question but I don't think labels like that really help. Some great bands have lived the rock and roll lifestyle but too often its just an excuse for talentless morons to get by. There seems to be so many bands like this around at the moment, The Vines for example, who go on and on and on about the importance of 'being' rock and roll completely forgetting the fact that they are utterly crap.

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

Country music without Nashville, well, Nashville-ing it up.