lamest band ever

Trellis

Post by Trellis »

It was a few years ago that I realized EVERY SINGLE line in Phil Collins' music is a cliche, a real, honest to goodness, down right cliche.

One more night
One more niight
I''ve been trying for so long to let you know
let you know how I feel
And if I stumble if I fall
just help me back
so I can make you see
Please give me one more night
gimme one more night
justa one more night
cause I can't wait foreever

tj

Post by tj »

Mort wrote:
twitcher73 wrote:I think Sting fits in the "I used to be in a good band until it broke up and now I have a crappy solo career" club.

Other members include Don Henley and Phil Collins
How can you say such a think 'bout good ole Phil, the man who wrote this fantastic piece of lyrics:

When I'm feeling blue,
All I have to do
Is take a look at you
Then I'm not so blue

A true classic!!

M.
Damn! That brought tears to my eyes. Is that from the Disney soundtrack with the Backstreet Boys or without?

tj

Post by tj »

Fenrisinho wrote:
BoogieMan wrote:Skynyrd were an awesome band. What goes under that name these days is lame but the real band wasn't
Very true, they miss Ronnie's songwriting- and leadership qualities. Johnny's a decent singer, but makes too much out of it, if you know what I mean. I've got every studio album any Skynyrd lineup's ever made, and since Street Survivors, it hasn't been the same. 1991 is OK, so is Last Rebel and Edge of forever, but nothing more.... Makes Give me back my bullets sound like Exile on Mainstreet. And after Ed King left the group (the 2nd time around) it's been going the wrong way for Skynyrd. Their last album is toss material, absolutely shite. No bands have had so many qualified guitarists though.. King, Gaines, Rossington, Collins, Hall..... great stuff. Yardbirds take 2nd place (better guitarists, but fewer)
You have to listen to the recent Skynyrd stuff with the mindset that it isn't Skynyrd, but Johnny's band. I think Endangered Species is excellent though. If everything they did nowadays was stripped down like that, they would totally kick ass.

Mort

Post by Mort »

twitcher73 wrote:I think Sting fits in the "I used to be in a good band until it broke up and now I have a crappy solo career" club.

How can you say such a think 'bout good ole Phil, the man who wrote this fantastic piece of lyrics:

When I'm feeling blue,
All I have to do
Is take a look at you
Then I'm not so blue

A true classic!!

M.

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

BoogieMan wrote:Skynyrd were an awesome band. What goes under that name these days is lame but the real band wasn't
Very true, they miss Ronnie's songwriting- and leadership qualities. Johnny's a decent singer, but makes too much out of it, if you know what I mean. I've got every studio album any Skynyrd lineup's ever made, and since Street Survivors, it hasn't been the same. 1991 is OK, so is Last Rebel and Edge of forever, but nothing more.... Makes Give me back my bullets sound like Exile on Mainstreet. And after Ed King left the group (the 2nd time around) it's been going the wrong way for Skynyrd. Their last album is toss material, absolutely shite. No bands have had so many qualified guitarists though.. King, Gaines, Rossington, Collins, Hall..... great stuff. Yardbirds take 2nd place (better guitarists, but fewer)

twitcher73

Post by twitcher73 »

I think Sting fits in the "I used to be in a good band until it broke up and now I have a crappy solo career" club.

Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

My Votes;

Supertramp
Yes
Styx
Sting

I can't stand Sting....

I actually think 311, Skynrd and U2 are excellent bands. U2's last record previous to the current one is brilliant IMHO.

Agree with Brian on the New Country..But disagree with Buffett comments in that while it is a bit Commercial Lisence to Chill is a pretty fun record and they cover The Dead's Scarlet Begonias in pretty groovy way..

Also Buffetts firs three or Four Records I think are brilliant sonwriting in terms of Humorous Observations on love and life..Brian given your comments on Prine..for shits and grins take a listen to some of the earliest Buffett I think you would be pleasantly surprised although you may know it already..

ChamberMaid

Post by ChamberMaid »

ELO

BoogieMan

Post by BoogieMan »

Facts:

Supersuckers are not lame and not mediocre. They're a cool rockin band

Skynyrd were an awesome band. What goes under that name these days is lame but the real band wasn't

KISS sucks ass

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

Monsieur Spills, you posted it on feb 6th, less than two weeks ago. 8)

mister spills

Post by mister spills »

keith21 wrote:C'mon man, the lamest band ever? I'll admit I burned myself out on 'em and am frankly a little sick of 'em, they don't have too much depth, the songs all sound the same, but lamest band ever?
You already said that they have no depth, and their songs all sound the same... so anything I might say is just the icing on the cake I guess. At that, I'll add that they're the band that the hipster intelligentsia regard as some sort of stalwart or some shit... despite the fact that they have never been great, or even good. And since I'm not concerned with shit that happened 30 or 40 years ago, or shit that never even registered on the radar (most of which is likely to be more interesting that the Supersuckers anyway), I'll go with the band that seems to ganrer the most undeserved attention for the longest period of time.

BTW... this thread is still in the top 5 or 10 on the board, and it's been at least a month since I posted it. You guys need a protein shake.

altcountryman

Post by altcountryman »

stratoman wrote:The greatest album review ever was for the 80's "supergroup" GTR. The review, in its entirety, was "SHT".
FNY!

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

Aaron Cain wrote:KISS
Quoted for truth.

Aaron Cain

Post by Aaron Cain »

KISS

twitcher73

Post by twitcher73 »

Travis Tritt is my neighbor... seriously. I'm not a fan, but he seems like a pretty nice guy. He just goes about his business in town.

But I agree that "new country" is pretty bad... the problem with anything that can be termed "crossover" is that it will normally equate to "pop" - new country is just enough country to keep country fans interested and just enough pop rock to sell records.