Wilco in Bama, not at Grammy's

brefmintt

Post by brefmintt »

Didn't Ray Charles win a Grammy for "Busted" in the 60's?

Haggischomper

Post by Haggischomper »

dhbursu wrote:What other years other than 1997 did dylan win Grammy's? I seem to recall that the music he won for can't really compare to his work in the sixtys throught mid seventies.
Dylan has about 8 or 9 grammy's from the 70's through the 90's with, perhaps, another dozen or so nominations also. He also has an Oscar.

As for the comparison between his early/leter work - that's just opinion.

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

Fenrisinho wrote:
saratoga jay wrote:rented a flick called Mean Creek and it played the Wilco tune (co-written by the Ass Man) Pot Kettle Black during a car-ride scene, which i thought was cool.
Mean Creek which won the Humanitas prize last year (among other awards) Got to see it.

not in the same league as River's Edge but a pretty decent flick.

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

saratoga jay wrote:rented a flick called Mean Creek and it played the Wilco tune (co-written by the Ass Man) Pot Kettle Black during a car-ride scene, which i thought was cool.
Mean Creek which won the Humanitas prize last year (among other awards) Got to see it. I've heard the fox in Meet the Feebles was modeled after the Ass Man, but that's just a rumour me thinks. Was listening to some Wilco stuff yesterday on a mix tape. being there kicks ass!

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

rented a flick called Mean Creek and it played the Wilco tune (co-written by the Ass Man) Pot Kettle Black during a car-ride scene, which i thought was cool.

dhbursu

Post by dhbursu »

Haggischomper wrote:Dylan has won many Grammy's through the years.

Got tix to see him in Chicago 2 nights out of the 5 he is playing in April. Can't wait. Much rather watch that than Tweedy's current contemplation of his belly-button fuzz.
What other years other than 1997 did dylan win Grammy's? I seem to recall that the music he won for can't really compare to his work in the sixtys throught mid seventies.

Haggischomper

Post by Haggischomper »

Dylan has won many Grammy's through the years.

Got tix to see him in Chicago 2 nights out of the 5 he is playing in April. Can't wait. Much rather watch that than Tweedy's current contemplation of his belly-button fuzz.

dhbursu

Re: Wilco in Bama, not at Grammy's

Post by dhbursu »

Haggischomper wrote:
slobile wrote: To be really blunt, I don't have a lot of respect for the artists that have won Grammys.
What? Like Bob Dylan? :roll:
Yeah, but when did they give him his grammys? IMO they gave them to him as an afterthought just because what he has done in the past. Time out of Mind was a good album, but album of the year...come on. Same thing happened with Ray Charles this year, thats why many people like Bob Dylan have grammys. So for the most part, do great work now and maybe they will throw you a bone 20 or 30 years from now.

trousersnakeandlarry

Post by trousersnakeandlarry »

bham show kicked fucking ass
theatre was beautiful as expected
crowd was great and it was a damn fine event.

Last two cover songs kicked ass too. only thing I would like to have seen difffernt is a few more songs off Being There.

Bound to Get Burned

Post by Bound to Get Burned »

I'm from Alabama.

War Eagle!

BTGB

2-14-2005

slobile

Post by slobile »

Rob, i couldnt believe the b'ham show sold out so fast. Planned to drive up 65 from mobile but couldnt get tickets. Were you aware of any tapers at the show? Waiting on my new orleans tickets, i wont miss out this time.

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

trailrider wrote:I hear that many on the nominating committee are actually huge Jay fans but he is routinely snubbed because he dismisses their requests for "Moonshiner" at his shows.
:lol:

trailrider

Post by trailrider »

I hear that many on the nominating committee are actually huge Jay fans but he is routinely snubbed because he dismisses their requests for "Moonshiner" at his shows.

RobUA03

Post by RobUA03 »

I was at the Wilco show last night. Jeff seemed genuinely happy about winning ( he mentioned it a few times during the set). He talked about how Mermaid Ave,. was nominated way back in the day when they were losers and that they were now winners. He also mentioned that winning a grammy was the as high as you could go and since they won they had no place left to go so this was probably their last show. Overall, it was a very good concert. It was the first time they had been here in 8 years. I dared my friend to yell Whiskey Bottle during the show but he wouldn't do it.

Haggischomper

Re: Wilco in Bama, not at Grammy's

Post by Haggischomper »

Sticky wrote:
Haggischomper wrote:
slobile wrote: To be really blunt, I don't have a lot of respect for the artists that have won Grammys.
What? Like Bob Dylan? :roll:
That's Tweedy's quote, not slobile's. I wonder how he feels about himself with a couple in his pocket.

cheers
Yes, it was Tweedy I was quoting - realised it wasn't Slobile's opinion.