pet peeves

Trellis

Post by Trellis »

I too think that's a magnificent point about blaming who we can see. It's not always the waiter's fault.
And though I am no Mr. Pink, and always tip 10%, my pet peeve is people who insist on more. I"m sorry, I know you want to make more money, but 20%!!! Isn't that making the same mistake of putting too much responsibility on the person you see doing the work? To me, dishwashers are just as important as waiters in the process. Should I tip them 20%? And hell, why not 30%? Seriously, why is 20 right and not 30? Or 40?
Pet peeves are all about irrational annoyances...

BoogieMan

Post by BoogieMan »

Bound to Get Burned wrote:I'll have to defend waiters at this point. If you don't get extra butter or if somethings wrong with your food it's not always the waiters fault. REMEMBER waiters don't cook the food.
People like to blame what they can see, and you can't see the kitchen staff.

Now, on to tipping. If you guys over in Europe come over here to America, don't use the 10% or less method. It's concidered an insult if I get 10% or less.
You can stereotype on people tipping, and you know what, 90% of the time your right. I cringe when I see I have a foreigner in my section. I still give them good service, but its sucks to know I just worked for hardly anything.

Standard Tipping: 15 to 20% Depending on the service. Yes there are bad waiters out there, but if the waiter is trying hard I will always leave a good tip. (Remember waiters have other responsiblites besides the customers)
I hear you on the first point. Like mr Pink, I don't see the point of tipping, why it exists and all that shit.

Talus

Post by Talus »

I drive a bread truck (I know the most glamorous job ever), and people go out of their way to pull out in front of me on a road where you can't pass, and proceed to go about 15 mph slower than I was going. What follows next is a brake spiking if I get close to show my anger. That and people asking "what you got free today." That NEVER gets old.

Bound to Get Burned

Post by Bound to Get Burned »

I'll have to defend waiters at this point. If you don't get extra butter or if somethings wrong with your food it's not always the waiters fault. REMEMBER waiters don't cook the food.
People like to blame what they can see, and you can't see the kitchen staff.

Now, on to tipping. If you guys over in Europe come over here to America, don't use the 10% or less method. It's concidered an insult if I get 10% or less.
You can stereotype on people tipping, and you know what, 90% of the time your right. I cringe when I see I have a foreigner in my section. I still give them good service, but its sucks to know I just worked for hardly anything.

Standard Tipping: 15 to 20% Depending on the service. Yes there are bad waiters out there, but if the waiter is trying hard I will always leave a good tip. (Remember waiters have other responsiblites besides the customers)

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

Oh lord, where should I start.

Spelling, or lack thereof, especially when it's the "your"/"you're" or the "their"/"there"/"they're" variety. And I DO NOT accept the "but you knew what I meant, so it's okay" argument. Also, "supposably" and "supposively" are NOT words. People mangle those all the time.

Gas pumps that don't have the little hands free latch. God I hate that. Any other states besides Florida have this problem?

Waiters who don't know what "extra butter" or "no pickle" means.

People who will wait 10 minutes in a drive-through cue when they could have parked, walked inside, ordered, get their order and return to their car in 5 minutes. Only applies when I'm the passenger.

People who spend 10 minutes looking for a parking spot when they could have parked in the "less desirable" or "further away" spot and gotten inside in half the time. Again, this only applies when I'm the passenger.

People who when driving on interstates will get in the slow lane and try to pass 15 vehicles in the passing lane who are waiting to pass a semi.

-gk-

BoogieMan

Post by BoogieMan »

maura tierney wrote:That shrink-wrap/cellophane stuff they put around CD's- when I buy a new CD I wanna spend the next week listening to it, not trying to open the fucking thing.

Also, the glue they use to stick 'free' CD's to magazine covers- when you try to get the CD off you end up ripping half the cover off the mag, and then when you put another mag on top it sticks to the one underneath it. And once you've removed the CD from the front of the magazine and tried to scrape the glue off the mag, you then have to try and get the fucking shrink-wrap/cellophane/whatever the fuck it is off the fucking CD!
I don't mind the shrink wrap thing that much. It's nice to see that I get a brand new cd where noone has fiddled with the liner notes and sometimes even put a rip on a page or two. However that sticker thing they put on top on the jewel case is annoying. The one that is white with the title of the album and name of the artist. And it always leave glue from the sticker on the jewel case

I don't like the glue either. They should start using some sort of sleeve or something. Paste Magazine has a sleeve inside the magazine. And there's a magazine called Comes With A Smile that has a sleeve with Cover art inside it too. That's the way to go and it will probably save the magazine a buck or two and even some shelf space

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

Speed bumps.

maura tierney

Post by maura tierney »

That shrink-wrap/cellophane stuff they put around CD's- when I buy a new CD I wanna spend the next week listening to it, not trying to open the fucking thing.

Also, the glue they use to stick 'free' CD's to magazine covers- when you try to get the CD off you end up ripping half the cover off the mag, and then when you put another mag on top it sticks to the one underneath it. And once you've removed the CD from the front of the magazine and tried to scrape the glue off the mag, you then have to try and get the fucking shrink-wrap/cellophane/whatever the fuck it is off the fucking CD!

mister spills

Post by mister spills »

tj wrote:popsicle sticks scraping on teeth.
*shudder*

I know what you mean. I have the same thing with spoons scraping against teeth. Thing is, whenever I actually do it, it doesn't bother me. But the thought of it gives me the chills.

tj

Post by tj »

Storm siren test every first Wednesday of the month at 10:00 am. They are EVERYWHERE in this town. And popsicle sticks scraping on teeth. Fuck those things.

mister spills

pet peeves

Post by mister spills »

Porch lights. I hate those fucking things. Simultaneously selfish and pointless.