would REM get more respect/credit if Stipe was less feminine

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

BoogieMan wrote:Fen, you gotta tell us more about how Stipe & Co. bought you beers!
Actually this might be lamest brag I've ever pulled :shock:

As some of you might now, REM held two special concerts in Europe in 2003; one in Madrid, and one in Oslo. I was at the Oslo concert. And basically I met up at a record store (this was all very hush-hush, you couldn't buy tickets, and nobody knew where the concert was going to be, well some newspapers guessed right (probably had to do with the amount of gorillaz and sound equipement seen in that area, it was in an old engine shed) and when I got my pass, I also recieved five coupons and asked what they were for - free beers the man said. So there you go, pretty lame right? hehe, but during the concert Mr Stipe mentioned something about the beer and how it was from the band. He said it in a real cool way though, but I was drunk at this point, so I can't remember. Cool concert though, but I was stuck with celebs and music journalists who apparantly all knew eachother, so I was basically just walking around trying to find anything of interest to look at. Boring. But I finally ended up with some actual REM fans, the leader of the fan club in Norway & co, and that was good until I had to take a leak, and pushed away a few celebs who instead of moving where too busy with the: "Look at me, I'm a celebrety!" thing. It was funny how the "new and up-comming" celebs where all located by the bar, close to the enterance, while the more known and "experienced" ones placed themselves neatly all over the place. I heard one good story about Michael Stipe at the concert though. This dude was on a flight from Stockholm to Oslo, and was reading a book. The suddenly he realised he was sitting next to Michael Stipe! So focusing on reading was kinda difficault. Michael said hello when he noticed the curious reader next to him staring, and the dude said hello. Now instead of reading, he was thinking about the fact that Michael Stipe was sitting next to him, so he was on the same page as an hour before when Michael asked him: You find that book interesting do you? the dude replied: YES! Of course all the "comedians" around the dude who told the story all laughed and stuff. I was under the belief that I was standing at a celebrety free zone right then, and one of the guys was seriously pushing me, almost kicking my legs. I think they were trying to say I was eavesdropping on them and standing too close (Trust me, if I could've found a less crowded area, I would've been there :roll: ) So the next time I'm standing next to one of these guys after a show or something, I'm gonna use my age, smack 'em down with the fist of rage, fart in their face, and be a total disgrace :P

BTW. I don't believe a word of that Michael Stipe story, I mean I've heard this story before somewhere, different flight, different person.

PS: ALL newbies have the right to be controversial in their posts (except those poor confused souls, whom you obviously aren't one of :wink: )

PSII: And the BoogieWoogieMeister has an excellent taste in music (for a swede :P )

twitcher73

Post by twitcher73 »

IMO - REM is OK - some songs blow me away, others bore me to death. I think their lack of credibility is based more on the fact that they'll forever be the quintessential "college rock" band... I don't know if they'll ever get past that label.

BoogieMan

Post by BoogieMan »

Maura, thanks! A friend of mine, who's a huge REM fan, sent me two of their Christmas singles, one of them had Wilco playing on it and the other one was with Neil Young and both had Country Feedback. It would be impossible for me to not dig that!

maura tierney

Post by maura tierney »

Country Feedback is my favourite REM track- incredible.
You are a man of good taste Boogiemeister.

BoogieMan

Post by BoogieMan »

I'm not a fan of REM, but I could never say they're a crap band or anything close to that. I really havn't heard most of their stuff, but I dig Country Feedback. And the answer to the question is NO! REM seems to be like one of few huge bands that mainly let the music do the talking, as opposed to U2 for example. Name another band who manages to balance this popularity thing, being on MTV and all that stuff in such a good way as REM does

Fen, you gotta tell us more about how Stipe & Co. bought you beers!

maura tierney

Post by maura tierney »

Are newbies allowed to be fiercely opinionated round these parts?
If so...

REM are a GREAT band. The last few records have been slightly disappointing but I love everything up to (and including) Monster.

I would give special mention to Murmur, Life's Rich Pageant and Automatic For The People- three of my favourite albums ever. Especially Automatic 'cos it's helped me through some really bad times in my life, and any record that can help you find strength when you need it most just has to be special.

As for image- who cares? I want to listen to the music, not lie on my bed staring at posters of musicians on my walls. Anyone who allows an artist's 'look' to interfere with their opinion of the music is a fool.
Funnily enough Murmur was (still is) on the stereo when I came across this thread, and whether Stipe is straight or gay, muscle-man or wimp, one thing I know is that Murmur is a great album.

I'll go back to being a quiet newbie now. :)

Bigb

Post by Bigb »

I think the main problem for REM is that they are the indie-hipster band to hate (including critics). You can question their latest output but they still have some great material on their new albums. I don't think that they are as solid all the way through but that is tough to do. These guys have over 15 albums of excellent material. How many bands can say that?

Also, they still continue to expose great bands as their opening act. Long story short, they are great for music.

tj

Post by tj »

I think image is crap in music. Lyle Lovett, for example, is the ugliest mutha I ever seen, but his music is sooo un-ugly. I never knew Stipe was gay until I heard it in an interview, and that was after I had been rocking out to "The One I Love" thinking this guy must be a badass. I don't think he's anymore fem than Tweedy, whose name at first made me laugh with visions of a little yellow bird.

Post by Sticky »

Never thought of Stipe as feminine. At least not any more than Bowie or any Glam-rocker. I think he'd have more credibility if he didn't take himself so seriously.*

I think REM as a band gets way too much credit. Then again, I don't think I've liked anything they've done in 20 years.**

cheers

*He grew up in Collinsville (a Fairview Heights from B'ville) and went to HS with my uncle. He was the geeky guy who wouldn't talk to anyone. Also based on TV appearances and the few times I've met and talked to him.

**Don't get me started on U2. I liked them when they were a punk band.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

Actually, to date, I have spent most of my adult life being a HUGE U2 fan, and the diminutive Paul Hewson (Bono) was my hero for as long as I can remember. Nowadays, it ain't so, and if I live long enough I'm sure Jay will suplant Bono as my Hero Extrordinaire. It's not Bono's politics or image that I object to, or U2's music (which has fallen imo), it's just that I'll nevr EVER get as close to him as I can get to Jay (in a platonic sort of way, of course). Plus Jay writes songs that mean more to me than Bono does.

As to testosterone-prone rock stars......wow, it is hard to come up with some.

Who's that one guy who had a metal band, and he did like comedy too? He hates Bono, btw. heh

-gk-

Trellis

Post by Trellis »

Not everyone respects or gives much credit to REM, but REM gets way more respect and credit than most bands. Perhaps if Stipe had a big buttcheek jaw and a hairy back and a body like a 6 foot 5 Mississippi quarterback he'd get as much respect as long-donged he-men like Bob Dylan, Woodie Guthrie, The Beatles, Bruce Springsteen, Radiohead.

Actually, this raises another interesting point. Which singers for really big bands that get respect and credit are super masculine? Would any of us (other than Lawrence Fan :-)) respect Bono more if he looked like the Rock?

darell

Post by darell »

Fenrisinho wrote:Don't mess with teh Stipe... Mess with teh Stipe, and you mess with the mess that's me. Stipe & co once bought yours truly 5 beers :o
anyone who wants to buy me five beers gets all the respect they want.

clarkma5

Post by clarkma5 »

REM would get more respect if they didn't suck so bad ;)

At least, that's my take on it.

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

Don't mess with teh Stipe... Mess with teh Stipe, and you mess with the mess that's me. Stipe & co once bought yours truly 5 beers :o

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

The dude just looks like such a total wuss. He's the kind of guy I'd be afraid of hurting if I bumbed into him. Seriously. So yeah, if Michael Stipe looked like...um...Jay Farrar then yeah, I'd give REM more respect.

-gk-