Bonanzinga

Bound to Get Burned

Post by Bound to Get Burned »

Maybe he'll let me design him a kick-ass website.

BTGB

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

Further confirmation that Bill really needs a kick-ass website.

Saw Brian's guitars on Thursday here at SXSW.
sweeeeeet.

downsouth

Post by downsouth »

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

How come Bill doesnt have a website?

andylest

Post by andylest »

Neverwonagrammy wrote: To quote Mark Spencer...
"Bringin' a Strat to Texas, is like bringin' a dildo to a whorehouse..."
That is true (and funny) on so many levels.

Tuhkis

Post by Tuhkis »

Neverwonagrammy wrote:Kenny,
Cool, cool, cool! I'm glad it arrived safely, and I'm glad you like it. I'd hate to have talked it up, and you would've hated it.
I have my doubts it ever went on the road with Jay, seeing how it has never had a pickup in it.
For that same reason, I never took it on the road either. I was a little nervous about the cracks too, but I swear, they were in there for the 5 years I owned it, and they never got any bigger, or, caused any problems.
I DO know Jay has that guitar's identical twin, WITH a pickup, that he still uses.
I used it as a songwriting guitar. Mostly songs that ended up on the "Blue Sky" album. Came up with the music to "Lucky Break", "Baggage Claim", and "Man Of Constant Anxiety".
"Mom And Dad" I wrote when I still had my Martin D-18. It was written earlier than the other songs.
I also wrote some songs on it, that will most likely end up on our next album.
I never recorded with it, other than home demos. In the studio, I used our drummer's 1948 Martin 000-18, 'cause it sounded real good with the mics we were using. We recorded Blue Sky so quickly, I didn't really experiment with guitar sounds much. Pretty much went with the first good sound we got. Bill Bonanzinga has rectified this problem, for our next recording, my new one is kinda Martin 000-18 sized.
I never named your guitar. After I got my second Bonanzinga, with the small body, I would occasionally call it "Big Boy", if I was in conversation involving both Bonanzingas. I damn sure KNOW Jay never named it. I can't even imagine Jay giving a guitar a name!
What you gotta remember, is, that guitar was made by ONE guy. TOTALLY handmade. How cool is that?
I'm anxiously awaiting the Bonanzinga "Swamp Paddle". It arrives Monday.
We leave for SXSW Tuesday.
Watch out Texas,
THE BONANZINGAS ARE COMING!!!
Brian

P.S. I was gonna play my Strat at SXSW, but Bill busted balls, and got the Swamp monster done in time.
To quote Mark Spencer...
You are truly prolific! :D

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

Brian: I look very forward to seeing the Swamp Paddle on Thursday at Jovitas! I’ll be sure and hit the purse flask a few times to get over my social anxiety enough to introduce myself.

Bound to Get Bonanzinga’d: Awww … Well. Cool. I’m glad you got the guitar and that it plays all dreamy like you’d hoped. I’m almost positive that I’m flattered you’d name it after me. Whatever helps you sleep at night, brother.
; ) Oh, and as for Bill Bonanzinga … He’s brilliant and helpful. He’s a wealth of information and knowledge, and is completely holding my hand on my journey to true non-factory guitardom. He probably thinks I’m kidding, but I fully intend to bake and send him a guitar-shaped cake.

Neverwonagrammy

Post by Neverwonagrammy »

Kenny,
Cool, cool, cool! I'm glad it arrived safely, and I'm glad you like it. I'd hate to have talked it up, and you would've hated it.
I have my doubts it ever went on the road with Jay, seeing how it has never had a pickup in it.
For that same reason, I never took it on the road either. I was a little nervous about the cracks too, but I swear, they were in there for the 5 years I owned it, and they never got any bigger, or, caused any problems.
I DO know Jay has that guitar's identical twin, WITH a pickup, that he still uses.
I used it as a songwriting guitar. Mostly songs that ended up on the "Blue Sky" album. Came up with the music to "Lucky Break", "Baggage Claim", and "Man Of Constant Anxiety".
"Mom And Dad" I wrote when I still had my Martin D-18. It was written earlier than the other songs.
I also wrote some songs on it, that will most likely end up on our next album.
I never recorded with it, other than home demos. In the studio, I used our drummer's 1948 Martin 000-18, 'cause it sounded real good with the mics we were using. We recorded Blue Sky so quickly, I didn't really experiment with guitar sounds much. Pretty much went with the first good sound we got. Bill Bonanzinga has rectified this problem, for our next recording, my new one is kinda Martin 000-18 sized.
I never named your guitar. After I got my second Bonanzinga, with the small body, I would occasionally call it "Big Boy", if I was in conversation involving both Bonanzingas. I damn sure KNOW Jay never named it. I can't even imagine Jay giving a guitar a name!
What you gotta remember, is, that guitar was made by ONE guy. TOTALLY handmade. How cool is that?
I'm anxiously awaiting the Bonanzinga "Swamp Paddle". It arrives Monday.
We leave for SXSW Tuesday.
Watch out Texas,
THE BONANZINGAS ARE COMING!!!
Brian

P.S. I was gonna play my Strat at SXSW, but Bill busted balls, and got the Swamp monster done in time.
To quote Mark Spencer...

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

Be careful of mentioning your real name so close after an auction, we don't want this to become the "Oh my God, they've killed Kenny!" thread. :wink:

Marius - (LAT) Meaning Man, or Manly.. derrived from Mars. Why? "'cause it was so popular around that time, we only wanted you to be like everybody else" Nice work there ma :roll:

Sounded funnier in my head than on "on-line paper", but I figured what the heck. :D

saratoga jay

Re: Bonanzinga

Post by saratoga jay »

Bound to Get Burned wrote:First Jay, then Brian, now Kenny.

I always name my guitars and if Jay or Brian do not have a name for it yet, I thought about naming it Dev. :wink:

Kenny

don't you mean "Mrs. Dev"? :o

Bound to Get Burned

Bonanzinga

Post by Bound to Get Burned »

First Jay, then Brian, now Kenny.

I got Jay's and Brian's guitar in yesterday and I've enjoyed playing it every minute. It sounds so good. The tone is very crisp and as Brian said loud. The repairs were very well done and it is very easy to chord. The guitar has character. I think the cracks and some of scuff marks are the beauty of the history. It also came with the original case which has scuff marks on it as well.
I'm trying to get with Brian to find out a little more of the history of the guitar. (i.e. did it go on tour with Son Volt or Bottle Rockets? or were there any songs written on it?)

The first song I played on it was "Still Be Around". I thought that was fitting tribute to Dev since she put up a good fight for the guitar and also covered that song on the Jay Farrar Tribute. Also the words, "If I break in two will you put me back together" seemed to fit.

I highly suggest buying a Bonanzinga if your looking for a new guitar. I think that the playablity and the tone are excellent. So, Dev keep saving and start talking to Bill. I know he has me sold on my next acoustic purchase.

I always name my guitars and if Jay or Brian do not have a name for it yet, I thought about naming it Dev. :wink:

Kenny