Fort Worth

BoogieMan

Post by BoogieMan »

andylest wrote:The guitarist was James Walbourne, all of 21 years old and imported from England. His main gig is playing with Peter Bruntnell. I thought he sounded great, extremely tasteful and professional. The rest of the band sounded great as well, very tight but soulful, not mathematic. Of course Jay kicked ass. My favorite moment came towards the beginning of the set in between songs when the guy in front of me yelled out "hey Jay, glad you're back!" as Jay was turning around to get water. Jay turned back suddenly, smiled, and said "it's good to be back." I could tell he meant it.

The Ft Worth show was also my first exposure to Anders Parker. To be honest I was not digging it. Although to be fair, the sound was horrible; particularly Anders' guitar which was way too loud in the mix and pretty much overtook everything else.
You can hear the guy shouting on the recording. Pretty cool

andylest

Post by andylest »

The guitarist was James Walbourne, all of 21 years old and imported from England. His main gig is playing with Peter Bruntnell. I thought he sounded great, extremely tasteful and professional. The rest of the band sounded great as well, very tight but soulful, not mathematic. Of course Jay kicked ass. My favorite moment came towards the beginning of the set in between songs when the guy in front of me yelled out "hey Jay, glad you're back!" as Jay was turning around to get water. Jay turned back suddenly, smiled, and said "it's good to be back." I could tell he meant it.

The Ft Worth show was also my first exposure to Anders Parker. To be honest I was not digging it. Although to be fair, the sound was horrible; particularly Anders' guitar which was way too loud in the mix and pretty much overtook everything else.

Trellis

Post by Trellis »

Cool! Thanks deadman. I'm all full of the goo of anticipation.

deadman

Post by deadman »

I missed the straightaway songs as well but I chalked it up to no Pedal steel being in the mix which that album is loaded with. Also they had a replacement for Brad Rice so that may be why they kept the setlist the same most every night. I thought the kid played great. I loved the new stuff. I wish I had downloaded the 12-11-04 show that had a bunch of the new songs on it and is a great sounding copy. That show has Brad and he smokes the Straightface...its nasty. They sound really tight for a first show.
I thought Anders P was a great opener. He did some great guitar solo's and got very sonic with it all. Tell it to the Dust was great. It was a killer night of Rock n Roll at the Exit/In. Sing-a-longs and new cuts.

Trellis

Post by Trellis »

The song list looks great to me, a nice blend of new and old. And I need sing a longs cause they're the only chance I get to sing in public without being arrested. I can't wait for the show to move up here.
I would like to hear a song or two from straightaways tho... they seem kind of absent from some of the set lists posted here... Sticky, have you noticed a trend away from that album?

BoogieMan

Post by BoogieMan »

sam6025 wrote:Varnaline's Songs in the Northern Key is killer. I recommend checking it out. I love that album. Blue Flowers on the Highway is a favorite song of mine.
Man, I ordered that and today I got an email saying they had ran out of copies. I'm very disappointed now!

Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

I saw Anders at MCMF and I thought he was just O.K at best......I had heard many great things about him before and I have to admit that vocally he was a little rough.

Having said that...I have not had the opportunity to listen to his records or thoughtfully look at his songwriting which I will do..

Don't think it's fair to Judge on one performance...

Similarly I though Brad Rice's performance that night was too much surface and not enough emotive playing where it really got you in the chest..

But again..not fair to Judge on one perfomance..and admittedly I really liked Boquist...They could not be any more different in terms of their approach to the lead guitar spot which is not nesecarily a bad thing..

Son Volt is definately a more straight ahead Rock Band...Which is cool in a way..

I just don't see the previous incarnation covering Communication Breakdown..

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

Varnaline's Songs in the Northern Key is killer. I recommend checking it out. I love that album. Blue Flowers on the Highway is a favorite song of mine.

ChiDavid78

Post by ChiDavid78 »

I think the sing-alongs really added to the show. Plus, Jay doesnt interact to tthe audience and I don't think the audience really ruined anything.. As far as the songs are... he hasn't done the SV songs in 6 yrs live and we don't have copies of the new album so to play all the new album that is not released was kind of rough. I liked hearing new songs and understand but it is not released or as far as I know, people do not have bootleg copies of it awt this moment. So I would have loved to hear some more greats like Medicine Hat, Carryatid Easy (however you spell it), Catchin On.

As far as Anders, if told of one thing to check out, ill givce him a try but I haven't found him enjoyable. Not the worst but just not that great.

tracer

Post by tracer »

chidavid, what's up with all the anders hating?

both songs in a northern key and tell it to the dust are pretty great records and his varnaline stuff may be even better. give em a chance.

as for singalongs, i somewhat agree. i saw paul westerberg a few weeks back and when the band took a break so that he could do skyway and here comes a regular, well, it was like listening to the crowd sing. that's not to say, however, that i wasn't singing also.

vox_martin

Post by vox_martin »

I have to disagree with ChiDavid78 on your first post in this thread. Why would Jay come out and do a bunch of old songs when there is a new album coming out? This is not Rolling stones or Kiss remember.......and they did play all the "hits" for you at the end there......

and for the sing-along......I find that a bit irritating too.....Im not there to hear everyone elses half-drunk-out-of-tune version of Windfall.....I wanna hear Jay sing it, I thought that was the point of singer/songwriter.....to LISTEN to the singer/songwriter......I might be wrong though??? Son Volt might be more "rock n roll" than singer/songwriter but still.....just remember that you are ruining some peoples concert experience.....

rock on

Lubbock to Taos

Post by Lubbock to Taos »

Was at the show too. Anders put on a very good show - always does. To say he's crappy ... man, that's a stretch. Ever listen to his Varnaline stuff?

ChiDavid78

Post by ChiDavid78 »

my favorite addition is the drummer. I just can't wait for this album to come out and hope it comes out soon. I think Jay does well when he tries something new... Trace was a great, Sebastapol, and the new one seems promising... so that means he may need to fire this lineup to be great again on the 2nd comeback cd =)

jk

BoogieMan

Post by BoogieMan »

I've got two Anders Parker records on order and I can't wait to hear them. And I can't wait until someone posts one of his opening sets as well. Really like to hear that!

Mark Spencer

Post by Mark Spencer »

ChiDavid78 wrote:we sufferred through Anders tho it was nice to see Ken Coomer again (tho sad that its for such a crappy artist).
Wow. To each his own. Perhaps you are just a little off without your feeding tube.