Son Volt guitar rig

Neverwonagrammy

Post by Neverwonagrammy »

Dave played through a Fender Super Reverb. He replaced the Fender logo, with one fom a Dodge Dart Swinger.
Brian

seger_and_priest

Post by seger_and_priest »

what is duplantis running? his bass is low, to my ears, on the MCMF, Ft. Worth and SXSW recordings, but the man's playing is truly great. is he an ampeg dude, maybe?

andylest

Post by andylest »

acoustic amps typically have premaps that result in a more natural sound than a DI box would. Also it gives Jay the chance to use it as a stage monitor, outside of the grasp of the soundman...

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

It was an acoustic amp...not a regular amp...he has it at his feet, perhaps he was simply using it as a monitor, but it was there and it was on...I know, I was leaning on it.

vox_martin

Post by vox_martin »

he played/plays acoustic through a guitar amp? Is that very common? isnt it more usual to plug it in through the PA-system?

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

I was looking at old pictures last night...

At the show where I posted Jay's rig from, Dave was playing a gold Gibson Les Paul with a trem on it (bigsby?), a white Fender Telecaster, his lapsteel (unsure of brand)...the amp he was playing through looked like an old Fender Dual Reverb, but it was from some company I have never heard of that started with an S...Savoy or something...from the photo I can make out a distinct S to start and a Y to end the word...anyone know?

Bound to Get Burned

Post by Bound to Get Burned »

There was a thread a long time ago about Son Volt's stolen equipment. That should give you a good idea of what Jay played. Most of the old videos I've seen, Jay is playing a Gibson SG.

BTW, has anyone ever played one of those Gretch Pro-Jets? Someone told me that they were crap and do not stay in tune very well.

BTGB

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

Back in the day when I saw Son Volt, Jay played a Limited Edition Gibson Les Paul Double-Cutaway through a Mesa Boogie Dual-Rectifier combo. He used a Peavey tweed amp for acoustic...don't know the name though...he played a Martin acoustic, don't know model. This was from when I saw them in 1998.

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

I thought i saw Dave play a Gibson ES335 on the Conan appearance. Obviously I could be wrong..

Post by Sticky »

Jay typically plays 4 or 5 guitars per show. Mostly Guild Pro-Jets through a tweed Bassman, I think a RI. Plays his Bonanzinga and Epi Melody maker too.

Dave usually played Gibson's (SG and LP with trems) and, I think, was usually on a Vox AC-30. Brad plays his Duesenberg through a Vox. James is playing a Gibson Firebird or a Tele Thinline, didn't look at the amps in Memphis.

cheers

windshield

Son Volt guitar rig

Post by windshield »

I dont' know if this has been asked before but, which kind of guitar equipment is Son Volt (mk I and mkII) using live? Guess I'll have to watch the dvd closely when it comes out, but what amazes me is that all guitars seem to have lots of different tones, still it doesn't look like anyone is using a lot of pedals or different instruments. Any guess?
btw here's a nice site to look up some guitar rigs, take a look at J.Mascis....