John Paul II

killerwolf

Post by killerwolf »

To further illustrate that point..check this site out...
http://mirrors.meepzorp.com/geocities.c ... ntichrist/

killerwolf

Post by killerwolf »

George W.Bush is the anti-christ.

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

I thought I'd just add something that has come to mind in rescent days.

When you think of it, Il Papa was elected because of his conservative view of the church. He didn't believe in femal priests, he didn't believe in a woman's right to self-decided abortion, he regarded homo's as sinners, and had a rather odd approach on the AIDS topic. (although that last thing hadn't surfaced of course when he got elected) Another reason he got elected was of course that he was from a communist country, and the effect this could have on catholics in those countries. All in all, he was perhaps the most profilic and political pope in modern times. Rather than being a modern, liberal pope in a conservative institution, he was a very conservative pope using modern means to spread his message - And this is the reason he got elected as pope in the first place; to safeguard the institution, instead of modernising it.

7TangoNR9

Post by 7TangoNR9 »

I don't think the Pope was political at all. I mean what he taught was not politics or ideology in his mind but merely what he believed was God's plan for how we should live. For instance the Pope was "pro-life". Now to most conservatives around here (Texas) pro life means anti abortion, pro capital punishment and being against pulling the tubes on Terri Schiavo (think that big dumb-ass Tom Delay). The pope was against abortion and against the death penalty. A republican can't take those positions and get elected. The pope didn't care. To him it made perfect sense because there is really no difference in taking a life regardless of the circumstances or emotions surrounding the situation. I still want to shoot the son-of-a-bitch that kidnaps a little girl and rapes her, but I do understand what the Pope meant and I think he was right. Maybe one day I'll get there too.

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

twitcher73 wrote:too many Left Behind series books... :)
Good answer. Some would say that Fenris is a part of this 'End of the World' business too, but I wouldn't believe them I were you :wink:

btw - Today is the day for Warren Jeffs and the FLDS in Eldorado, Texas.

Trellis

Post by Trellis »

I thought the Pope was granted infallibility when speaking in a particular context, which would mean that biblical precedent isn't necessary to establish doctrine for the catholic church, merely the pope's word (which under infallibility is God's word).
I liked this Pope -- though he was pretty bad on women's issues and birth control, he was right to speak out against the Iraq war and advocate for peace, and I liked that he traveled etc. I also liked that he stuck to his beliefs, even if I don't agree with those beliefs -- you can't change the beliefs of your church merely to fill seats, you need to feel you have sound theological reasons or inspiration to do that, if you have any integrity. It's not a popularity contest.
I think they should make Jay the next pope.
I'd like to see him in that hat.

twitcher73

Post by twitcher73 »

Lawrence Fan wrote: His overall conservative approach to matters of personal choice and personal belief were troubling, however. Until the Catholic church aknowledges the equality of the sexes, the equality of homosexuals and modernizes its views on marriage, the church will continue to lose members.
GK, it's not like the Pope can just decide that these things are morally acceptable... I mean, there is that Book he has to go by... :wink:

twitcher73

Post by twitcher73 »

Fenrisinho wrote:
twitcher73 wrote: (my guess is through the EU - the ten horned beast from the book of Daniel) who will forge a treaty between Israel and Palestine... and we'll see 3 and a half years of peace. Then, after 3 and a half years, there will be a total betrayal of the treaty, and 2/3 of Israel will be slaughtered by those siding with the anti-christ...
Are we in the end times? I think we're heading there...
That's quite a theory you've got there twitch. How did you come to that conclusion?
too many Left Behind series books... :)

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

twitcher73 wrote: (my guess is through the EU - the ten horned beast from the book of Daniel) who will forge a treaty between Israel and Palestine... and we'll see 3 and a half years of peace. Then, after 3 and a half years, there will be a total betrayal of the treaty, and 2/3 of Israel will be slaughtered by those siding with the anti-christ...
That's quite a theory you've got there twitch. How did you come to that conclusion?

stretch

Post by stretch »

Pope JPII also had audiences with musicians and artists from all faiths and/or non-faiths through the years. He was an aritist at heart and recognized the talent it takes to stand on a soapbox and sing from ones heart. He preached of compassion for all. I somehow don't think he believed we coexisted with dinosaurs like some of our leaders think.

Tallman

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

Speaking as an ex-Catholic...

I was very encouraged by JPII's forray into Eccumenical (sp?) matters, or his willingness to open up dialog between faiths.

His overall conservative approach to matters of personal choice and personal belief were troubling, however. Until the Catholic church aknowledges the equality of the sexes, the equality of homosexuals and modernizes its views on marriage, the church will continue to lose members.

Overall I think he performed extremely well in what is most assuredly a very complex and hostile world.

Just my $0.02.

RIP John Paul II

DeWayne Hayes

Post by DeWayne Hayes »

We should also remember that John Paul II was the first Pope to have a truly close relationship with the American government, specifically with American presidents. For instance, Jimmy Carter was the first President to ask the Pope to visit the White House. And Ronald Reagan was the first President to ask the Pope to establish diplomatic relations between the Vatican and the United States.

And apparently, Bill Clinton was the first President to ask the Pope to hear a confession.

Subsequently, the Pope never returned to Washington, and rumor has it, he instructed at least 5 more Commandments be added to the list.

twitcher73

Post by twitcher73 »

cathodebias wrote:He said that the passing of Pope John Paul II was significant in that it would mark a sign of end times. Being only 1 tomb left he said that the next Pope would be the false prophet. I casually acknowledged this, but since I had a reletively new girlfriend at the time we excused ourselves and let the rest of the band and people hanging out with them carry on. Not sure what he was getting at and since I've never really read anything on it since I'm not sure that there is anything to it. Anybody?
Hey Cathode -

I haven't heard anything like this, at least not from a Biblically prophetic standpoint. I guess we'll have to wait and see. The false prophet talked about in Revelation will ultimately puff up the anti-christ. I don't know that it will be a pope, but it certainly will be some charismatic religious leader. The only way to really know the anti-christ is to watch for someone to come to power (my guess is through the EU - the ten horned beast from the book of Daniel) who will forge a treaty between Israel and Palestine... and we'll see 3 and a half years of peace. Then, after 3 and a half years, there will be a total betrayal of the treaty, and 2/3 of Israel will be slaughtered by those siding with the anti-christ...

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

Officially moving the guitar and funny section of this thread to the Belle & Sebastian thread.

maura tierney

Post by maura tierney »

Yeah! That guitar does look kinda devilish.

On Thursday I got myself a little Gibson Melody Maker: punk rock!
It doesn't play too well (or maybe it's just me!).
My Tele Custom feels so comfortable in comparison.
Gonna get another Tele soon.