Footy Talk

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Talus wrote:Anyone hear No Turning Back on Car Talk Saturday?
Yes! I thought of posting about it but obviously didn't. They always have good songs.

Talus

Post by Talus »

Anyone hear No Turning Back on Car Talk Saturday?

criminals

Post by criminals »

How about the two lads at Wimbledon. 70-68 in 5th set. Incredible.

Dr. Zapatos

Post by Dr. Zapatos »

BoogieMan wrote:I'll say it again. World Cup football gets worse and worse every time. It's supposed to be the best football, but the ever decreasing time that nations have to get together does not make real football teams. That and the quality of the referees is killing this tournament. There are a small number of great referees that I'm sure do at least 2 matches a week during the seasons. Why can't they do that here? And who lets these clowns on to the pitch?
You must be Swedish!

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

Good on El Tri for represntin' CONCACAF. Made it through on goal differential.

calexico

Post by calexico »

USA got ripped off there I reckon. That third goal was totally legit and the referee was a total twat not to give it. There was at least 3 fouls on US players as the ball came into the box.

Spark Mensa

Post by Spark Mensa »

Not sure what's worse in this SVN/ USA match, the officiating, the constant flopping, or those bloody noisemakers. A goal happens? BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. A lull in the action? BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. Playing of a national anthem? BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. Dreadful.

BoogieMan

Post by BoogieMan »

I'll say it again. World Cup football gets worse and worse every time. It's supposed to be the best football, but the ever decreasing time that nations have to get together does not make real football teams. That and the quality of the referees is killing this tournament. There are a small number of great referees that I'm sure do at least 2 matches a week during the seasons. Why can't they do that here? And who lets these clowns on to the pitch?

calexico

Post by calexico »

It's been pretty unimpressive so far. A few half decent performances and a few good goals. Still waiting for it to catch fire though.

the Watcher

Post by the Watcher »

Y, Deutschland is killing it right now. Look like they'll be tough to beat.

Although Australia aren't worth a damn, right?

calexico

Post by calexico »

So, 5 games or so in and it has been pretty poor fare to be honest.

England were awful, they were like a Championship side and a mid table one at that. Good point for USA as well, they can look to picking up points from the other games now and should qualify for the next round I reckon.

Maradona's beard and cheap suit remind me of a guy who has just been let out of prison. :lol:

Today's games don't offer much for the neutral apart from maybe Ze Germans tonight against Ze Aussies.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Ireland would have kicked Uraguay's ass. Give 'em a hand.

USA USA USA USA USA USA! That was sweet. An early defensive lapse, sure but Howard was immense and Onyewu and Demerit were rocks. We created chances and were rewarded. Dempsey's shot may have been muffed by Robert Groan but it had some spin and mustard on it. If not for Groan redeeming himself and pushing Altidore's fine shot on to the post, we'd have won. Prior to the game. I'd have jumped at 1-1. I was in heaven when that was how it ended. The pub had IPA on the hand drawn cask, the USA picked up a point in their toughest game, good friends... a capital afternoon. Nothing in sport comes near the World Cup.

calexico

Post by calexico »

France and U-R-GAY sucked balls.

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

Talus wrote:
criminals wrote:Everyone's a soccer fan this week.
Not so fast bucko.
+1

Talus

Post by Talus »

criminals wrote:Everyone's a soccer fan this week.
Not so fast bucko.