Mishewaka show

sawyer

Post by sawyer »

on breakfast? what time was that?

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

Please be kidding. That's a jackass move on his part if its true.

tombola

mishewaka

Post by tombola »

I was at the show early and i witnessed jay stiff the waitress on the tip at
breakfast. maybe an oversight, nevertheless he made up for it with a great performance.

sawyer

Post by sawyer »

v wrote:yeah, nice to see pics, thanks. whats with the camouflage backdrop - expecting trouble?

i guess i'd better buy the new disc. is it good? does it rock? i have'nt played seb for months (years!) i loved it for a few months but it doesn't stand the test. can't get past a couple of tracks. such a dull disc. how about tb?
That backdrop is actually like shredded plastic or something, so air can move through it - the dark spots are holes. i thoght the same thing when i saw the pics! Those are taken from about 150 feet away with those newfangled binocular cameras.

the new CD is very quiet - great music to be sure, but quiet.

v

Post by v »

yeah, nice to see pics, thanks. whats with the camouflage backdrop - expecting trouble?

spencer is good isn't he. when he first toured with farrar many fans were unhappy with his style overlaid on old sv/ut toons. i say thank god for mark spencer. over the last couple of years hes singlehandedley given those songs new life. long life. listening again to bristol show back in 2000, ms is a little afeared of leaving any spaces inbetween jf's vocals and strumming and fills them to overflowing. i have to say i love to listen to his playing back then - no more parades is a standout. saw them together again the following year and mark had relaxed a little and was more comfortable with the songs. sh't, by now he should be playing them in his sleep.

not sure if i can be bothered to see them again - just the two of 'em - my guess is they haven't moved on very far. jf and ms is all we get in the uk later this year. wheres the Jay Farrar Band - with a drummer?

i'm having dejavu - i'm sure folk have been longing for farrar to stand up and shout and make some rock and roll for a long time now. still, 's'up to him innit?

i guess i'd better buy the new disc. is it good? does it rock? i have'nt played seb for months (years!) i loved it for a few months but it doesn't stand the test. can't get past a couple of tracks. such a dull disc. how about tb?

"want to get out of folk and into rare groove"

Coffee Creek

Post by Coffee Creek »

sawyer ... thanks for the pictures ... they're great!

sawyer

Re: THX

Post by sawyer »

countryBoy wrote:Were you the guy with the stick camera next to the baby? Drag The River were cool , I got a signed ticket stub from Mark, Eric and Jay. If everhybody would have sit put another encore would have been great. The Bird that fell into the river was great, bird swims to edge and people sigh. Let me know.
nope, i was all the way in the back letting it all sink in ~ those 2 birds are the Mishewaka's. we thought they belonged to someone there, cuz when we got there we grabbed a table and the birds were hanging at another table. when the bird hit the drink my wife went to that table and they were like "Oh yeah, they do that all the time.." :shock: glad we got there early - parking sucked!

i also had no idea Jack Osborne was lead singer for Drag the River...

fygmynt

also:

Post by fygmynt »

i meant to say: seeing this show and seeing jay sing (sans drums, etc) only made me more regretful that i never saw him in a band setting...with sun volt or uncle tupelo. dammit, i bet those shows were something...

~fygmynt

fygmynt

eh...

Post by fygmynt »

i've gotta say i was thrown off-guard a little. i knew going in that i wouldn't know all the material (not having the latter two son volt albums, or the first solo album), but i figured i would know at least half of what was played. but i didn't...i don't even know if it was son volt or sebastopol material.

another thing: drums are essential! this show would have been soooo much fuller with a complete rhythm section. i understand the lack of a backbeat on the acoustic numbers: that's the way the songs were conceived, that's the way it should be. but on the rockin' tunes, c'mon...you can't BLAST into a chorus without a drum fill. it just doesn't work that way.

aside from that, and aside from the lack of any stage presence whatsoever, jay's voice was strong and the arrangements were tight. the highlights for me were "windfall"...which got a great reaction, "fool king's crown," which was refreshingly different than the album version, and certainly the grand finale, which was the george harrison song (my wife recognized it, but i've forgotten the title). it was a drastically extended version with mark spencer absolutely fucking ripping it UP! he was jaw-droppingly amazing the whole show, but that climactic solo was ethereal.

the two most positive crowd reactions were for two songs i'd never heard before...so i don't know their names, but i do know that one of them came directly after "no rolling back" and another after "windfall." what were they?!?

another thing that got me down: no "still be around." i was really waiting on that one. sigh.

two other major highpoints: drag the river was fucking awesome, and i'm proud to call them my home team...i see many balls-to-the-wall years of devoted fandom ahead. very tight band, great attitude, tons of energy. also: the venue is fantastic...right on the river (can't see it in those pictures, but it begins literally where the back of the stage ends), mountains towering all around, plenty of room to pull up a chair or dance (and yes, it is probably fortunate for that gyrating fanatic that she will remember very little of the show when she wakes up tomorrow).

all in all, it was not a disappointment in the least. my wife and i had a glorious time.

~fygmynt

countryBoy

THX

Post by countryBoy »

Thanks for the pics! The show was great great, nice venue ok food and Jay next to the river. Were you the guy with the stick camera next to the baby? Drag The River were cool , I got a signed ticket stub from Mark, Eric and Jay. If everhybody would have sit put another encore would have been great. The Bird that fell into the river was great, bird swims to edge and people sigh. Let me know.

saratoga jay

i'm sorry....so sorry

Post by saratoga jay »

Half, please take no offense. I only tease the ones I like.

sawyer

Post by sawyer »

a little rain during the openers, a tad during Drag the River, nice and cool and a little cloud cover for Jay.

here's some pics - not so great, i was all the way at the back of the place, not sure of the camera policy

tear-stained eye

Mark really wailing - i think it was Driving the view..

back for the encores

an amazing acoustic display by Mark in the last encore -

i have more but they are all the same, really -

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

hardy har-har. good one faggot!

NP-Nashville Skyline

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

If he opened with Make It Alright, man am I jealous. He played that electric in Philly. Jay, Mark and the Varnaline guys rocked that one out and I loved it!

I saw on the weather channel tonight that Colorado was getting rocked with thunderstorms. Did Jay and crew make it out alive?

PS...did the obnoxious woman dancing up front happen to call herself Half? hahahahah

sawyer

Mishewaka show

Post by sawyer »

fantastic - even with that incredibly obnoxious woman dancing like an idiot in front of Jay~

Help me fill in the blank and make corrections -

make it alright
feel free
california
tear-stained eye
heart on the ground
hard is the fall
no rolling back
barstow
damn shame
all of your might
cahokian
driving the view
vitamins
feed kill chain
route
straightface
windfall
going home(?)
fools king crown

white freightliner blues
and (?) not sure what the last was - but it was smokin'

about 200 people, mostly sitting quietly drinking beers and whatever, very respectful, jay mentioned the clean air vs. the smoky clubs, the "river runs through it", and said "Thanks for having us." when he was done. great outside show!