could Uncle Tupelo ever reform and would you want them to?..

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

I am truly surprised at the number of people who DON'T want it to happen. While I'm on record as being for a reunion, it's with a catch: I have no desire for them to put out an album or anything, just get together for a festival gig or three.

Anyway, as I said in an earlier post, even with my desires I don't see it happening for a long while, if ever. My desire stems from just wanting to see one more time those three dudes playing those songs again. Still my favorite incarnation of anything JF or JT have done since, hands down.

-gk-

bigdieseltrucker

C'mon.

Post by bigdieseltrucker »

It will never happen. If it does I'll mostly use the Tweedy songs to go take a piss and top off my beer. I can count the Tweedy, Wilco, UT songs I really like on my toes. As for Jay, I like pretty much all of his stuff. The spirit UT can still be found in every rough-hewn bar/garage band. Just don't expect the song writing to be as good.

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

Talus wrote:Wait about 20 years. Them they can play county fairs and places around here where Ted Nugent and Kansas still play.
yeah, i say jay or jeff should learn how to juggle, belly dance and be a ventriloquist...just make it a variety act.

Talus

Post by Talus »

Wait about 20 years. Them they can play county fairs and places around here where Ted Nugent and Kansas still play.

HighPlainsDrifter

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

No. Uncle Tupelo is dead. No use in reviving it. Besides, you'd have people who would invariably bitch about it.

sand dusky

Post by sand dusky »

I saw him do Whisky bottle at the Borderline..........I'm pretty sure he did anyway.........I was pretty drunk

andylest

Post by andylest »

drew wrote:whens the last time Jay played a UT song?
Punch Drunk is in the Live EP, Jay played it at a number of solo shows before reforming SV.

calexico

Post by calexico »

I sincerely doubt that they will be recognised like that.The Hall Of Fame thing is all about established huge selling stars.Our boys won't get in there just cause a few of us think they should.Sad but true I fear.

"What reunion has ever recreated the original buzz without an underlying letdown?"

I agree with this but feel the need to throw in just one group,who meant and continue to mean a lot to me.

The Go-Betweens.

County Line

Post by County Line »

saratoga jay wrote:but what about at the Uncle Tupelo RocknRoll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony???

they gotta play a couple tunes and covers that night....don't ya think?
Given, but Brian would still have to referee.

Honestly, though, do you think they'll ever be recognized like that? Would love to see it, we all know it's deserved, but not sure it will ever happen...

Tabbedout

Post by Tabbedout »

But it is all good....I would put March 16-20 1992 and Trace up there with any album recorded over the past 25 years,easily
I totaly agree, I would go as far as to say those two albums may be the two most important americana albums ever (alt-country, folk...whatever you want to call it)

As for Tupelo getting back together, I don't see it happening either, and I don't really want it too. Everything has to end, Jay went and wrote one of the best albums I've ever heard after Tupelo broke up... Jeff's "A.M." was pretty good too, but Wilco really did it with "Being There" (thats a masterpiece! IMHO) and after that they've kept making amazing music... Can't say I liked "A Ghost Is Born" too much, tried to... but to much fillers and the songwriting is even weak at times... but anyway.. the "A Ghost Is Born" tour was amazing anyway...

The most important thing about the reunion is that I think it would be a pain for the two of them to have to deal with eachother again... I mean water under the bridge and all that.... but still Tupelo made four great albums... Jay and Jeff are still doing that... I'm happy.. don't need no Tupelo reunion... but it would rock my world to hear Brian Henneman and Jay together again!!! "Kerosene works why not gasoline?" :D what do you say Brian?

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

but what about at the Uncle Tupelo RocknRoll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony???

they gotta play a couple tunes and covers that night....don't ya think?

Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

I don't disagree that County Line is generally on target.........but envisioning Jay and Jeff playing and acoustic set at some point together not necessarly at "Uncle Tupelo" I think would be way cool..

But I'm an Idealist what can I say.....

BoogieMan

Post by BoogieMan »

Yeah, reunions are usually a guarantee for disappointment.

The Black Crowes reunion has turned out to be great though. While they're only playing old songs, they are doing a lot of new things with most of them and it sounds really good!

Neverwonagrammy

Post by Neverwonagrammy »

Amen to that!
I'm with County Line...
Brian

County Line

Post by County Line »

mzkmm wrote:No.

And no.
Hear here. No, no, and no.

I never thought Jay fans were such gluttons for disappointment. Everyone laid money on the reunited Son Volt and then spent a couple weeks bitching about being let down that three members were awol. Once the album was leaked, Son Volt Deuce is just good enough to praise.

What reunion has ever recreated the original buzz without an underlying letdown? Cream is doing it now and sending cookies to everyone, HA. Rock history faithfully reveres that which will never be again. Anything else in all its forms becomes a less powerful cartoon.

I hope Jay and Jeff continue to expand in opposite directions never to go back to the start, leaving that point to be found by the people they eventually reach who choose to search backward.