Ok, I'll be the bad guy..

keith21

Post by keith21 »

I have to say that I honestly don't see much of a change. Now, I've only heard the first song off the new album, but to me Jay's voice has always fit the song. To me, part of what makes Jay's voice so great is that it is uniquely his, its just so natural. And this is coming from someone who has ended up, consciously, subconsciously or a little of both, modeled his voice a little after Jay's. I'm sure if you heard my version of 6 string belief on the tribute you figured that out. But the point is to me, Jay's voice has not changed that much to my ears, just fitted the song.

TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis »

Sticky wrote:Jay couldn't sing like he does now, 15 years ago. Whether you like it ot not is up to you. He's much more melodic than he used to be. His voice is much more in the mix, rather than struggling to get above the guitars. I sincerely doubt that he feels the angst that he did when he was 20. I know I don't.
My whole issue isn't a lack of angst. It's the fact that he sounds like he is struggling to stay on key.

Post by Sticky »

Jay couldn't sing like he does now, 15 years ago. Whether you like it ot not is up to you. He's much more melodic than he used to be. His voice is much more in the mix, rather than struggling to get above the guitars. I sincerely doubt that he feels the angst that he did when he was 20. I know I don't.

just sayin'

cheers

gblues

arghhhh

Post by gblues »

I'm so happy opinions should only be taken for a grain of salt because I would be forced to say some uncouth things!

Rick V

Post by Rick V »

During UT and Son Volt mach 1 Jay's voice was incredible. But something has definitely happened to Jay's voice since Wide Swing Tremelo - for the worse. His singing on the solo dvd was shockingly bad in certain spots. Maybe its the smoking. I don't know but I wish the old Jay vocals would resurface.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

saratoga jay wrote:don't forget the dude plays a sweet guitar the whole time he sings with that voice....
Guitar? You mean what with all the voice analysis and political meanings you also want me to pay attention to what instrument a guy plays?!

Give a boy a break, SJ!

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Personaly I like his harp, man that dude can WAIL!

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

don't forget the dude plays a sweet guitar the whole time he sings with that voice....

BoogieMan

Post by BoogieMan »

It's great that he sings differently now! Too many musicians keep on samin' when they oughta be changin'

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

andylest wrote:I think Jay has become a much better singer over time, so he no longer has to strain or push notes out. I loved the rawness of the UT stuff, but I think it's cool how Jay's singing style has matured over time along with his songwriting.
See, I don't think it's better at all, just different. No worse, no better, just different.

Gee, I could've just written those two sentences instead of two paragraphs.

;)

andylest

Post by andylest »

I think Jay has become a much better singer over time, so he no longer has to strain or push notes out. I loved the rawness of the UT stuff, but I think it's cool how Jay's singing style has matured over time along with his songwriting.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

I'm glad there's a lot of love out there for Jay's singing style. After all, his voice is arguably one of the main turn offs for people who don't like his music. I still maintain that the absence of the angst ridden voice of his UT days is a loss for us as fans. Sure, times change, as do styles and whatnot. But on those rare occasions when he does dust off an old number and sings it with his toned down style of today, the song suffers. To me, at least. I attribute the lack of that voice and those kinds of songs due to maturity and changing styles more than anything else - he simply doesn't write or record songs that are as much punk as they are country like he did back in UT. I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing...not necessarily. I'm just saying I miss it, because I really loved those songs that brought out that part of Jay. I guess he just outgrew it.

BoogieMan

Post by BoogieMan »

Doesn't it take like 6 or 7 years for the body to change all cells in the body? So it would be stupid to expect the old Jay for this album. It's like a brand new Jay for the new Son Volt

calexico

Re: Ok, I'll be the bad guy..

Post by calexico »

maura tierney wrote: I said that with a definite sense of humour

Where did you buy that sense of humour then? :wink:

As for Jay's voice,I think he sounds in superb form on the album.Voices experience change just like any other body part and his is a very distinctive voice with a lot of character.Which should be appreciated because most people these days sound as bland as the next guy.He seems at times to be reaching for the higher range but can hit them well enough.

BoogieMan

Post by BoogieMan »

Ellie, I can probably help you out if you describe your problem with the torrents

elliegurl

Re: Ok, I'll be the bad guy..

Post by elliegurl »

maura tierney wrote:
TinyElvis wrote:The new Son Volt... No, I don't like it.
Have you been eating stupid biscuits?
:lol: i actually spit my coffee out when i read that...maura you have to learn to not hold your feelings and opinons in and tell people what you really think!!!

i have yet to hear the cd am looking forward to it!

speaking of stupid i can ace organic chemistry but cannot get torrents on DaD to work for me!!! been trying to download that jayhawks poised for stardom thread you posted...argh i am such a dolt.

ellie ps can i have a side order of stupid with that putz please?