The Band

Duckman

Post by Duckman »

And I have to paste this from another thread here... it's actually a more appropriate thread for it ;)

True story from Bergen, Norway:

Many, many years ago - when rock-music still was young, Norway was a place where almost no-one had heard of that kind of music.
But slowly things like Elvis, Beatles & The Stones became popular among the kids.

A few "grown-up" people liked the music, and one of these so-called grown-ups had is own place where one now can find Finnegans Irish Pub and partly where the nightclub Ricks have it's english pub.
He booked pop-bands and rock-bands and the place was quite well liked because of the in-music.

One day he got a letter from a canadian band, wondering if he was interested in booking them for a gig one night.
They were planning a trip to Scandinavia, and one of the guys in the band had heard of this place called "Geiranger". A beautiful little place in the fjords in western Norway.
They were willing to play for whatever came in at the door, and all they wanted was food and somewhere to sleep.
They hadn't released any albums yet, but enclosed a tape.

The guy listened to it, and wrote back to them.
He thanked them for their interest, finding it flattering that they had heard of his little pub way over there.
He also said that he didn't think they had what it took to be popular in Bergen, but wished them good luck with their career.

I just hope Rick Danko, Levon Helm, Robbie Robertson, Richard Manuel and Garth Hudson wasn't too disappointed when they got the letter from him, basically telling them they were no good, and probably putting an end to their hopes of visiting Geiranger...

Duckman

Post by Duckman »

Have to share my Rick-story.

Some years ago Rick played with Norwegian Jonas Fjeld and Eric Andersen (who also lives in Norway) in Danko, Fjeld, Andersen. (I recommend both their albums if you can get them!)

They had a show at my local pub. I was to young to attend, but my friends went and actually met Rick.

They didn't have tickets, and the venue was sold out, so they hung around in the sittingroom at the hotel upstairs from the bar.

My friend was sitting with his back to the door, and was quite drunk.
Suddenly there was total silence in the room, as the bar-owner walked into the room.

"Rick Danko!", the barowner announced.

My friend who didn't see this, just heard the owners voice, and answered "Rick The Dick!!".

TOTAL silence....

My friend turned around, and looked right into Rick Dankos face.
Rick Danko laughed his ass off, and my friend was suddenly Dankos best friend.
They sat drinking for a couple of hours, and when the concertstart approached Rick brought my friends down to the venue via the back-stairs.
When the doorman saw them, he told them that my friends couldn't come it, 'cause it was sold out.

Bullshit, Danko told him. These guys are my choir-girls!

And they got in.

The next morning I saw Rick Danko standing in the parkinglot in front of the venue in his boxershorts, brushing his teeth.

My friends also told me he had his little briefcase with him, full of pills and stuff...

Got to see Danko live a few years later, as The Band played in Oslo right after the release of the "Jericho"-album...

manshank

Post by manshank »

I saw The Band at Watkins Glenn. Love them so I do. Only time I saw them but I did see Rick open for NRPS one time. It was pretty sad as he was totally wasted. NRPS brought him out for thier encore of Dead Flowers and they basically had to prop him up and feed him the words.

Last Waltz one of the best concert movies ever IMO. Love the Neil footage........the boots of that show are wonderful since Robbie could not clean/pretty it up.

Robbie Robbie Robbie.....its all about me.

Neverwonagrammy

Post by Neverwonagrammy »

Yeah, we asked Levon about Robbie. He said, "I don't wanna talk about him, he's an arrogant bastard, that's all I gotta say."
We never brought him up again.
Brian
P.S. Also, at that time, The Band were managed by a guy named Joe Forno. Owned Forno's Pharmacy, in Woodstock, New York.
How's THAT for convenience?

zach

Post by zach »

Check out the dvd "Classic Albums - The Band" by Rhino http://theband.hiof.no/videos/classic_albums.html Filmed before the passing of Rick Danko, includes interviews with all of them except the late Richard Manuel. Details the making of their second studio album. Well worth the viewing.

I also recommend Levon Helm's book "This Wheel's on Fire", which gives The Band's history through Levon's eyes. I noticed some other posters have read/are reading this one. I really enjoyed it. Makes you like "The Last Waltz" and Robbie Robertson a little less. Makes you love Levon.

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy »

The one thing that did stand out from my experience with Rick is that his cuz had told me that Rick's son had OD'd a year or two before the show I saw. His kid was about 19 at the time I believe. He told me Rick was never the same after that.

And yes, Rick was at that point a very large dude - much heavier than the lean studly lookin' dude shooting pool in the Last Waltz.

Neverwonagrammy

Rick Danko was a great guy. Totally friendly, but I always had a feeling, at any minute, he could break a beer bottle, and start slashing people with it. He never did, just had an underlying vibe of danger about him.
He was wound pretty tight.
When I first met him, I hadn't seen him, since the Last Waltz movie. He walked in the theater, came straight up to me, and started telling me his life story, In AA, prescription drugs are my problem, just bought a new house, etc. He had no idea who I was, just latched onto me, I guess 'cause I was the oldest guy in the Uncle Tupelo camp. What blew my mind, was, one, I'm hanging with Rick Danko, two, he weighs about 300 pounds! I was used to seeing him as some kinda stick-like figure. Then he says, "what's that you're drinkin'?" I said "Crazy Horse, it's malt liquor", he says, "I'll have some of that". This is minutes after tellin' me how good he'd been doin' in AA.
I feel bad, I was an "enabler" for Rick Danko, but, I have a feeling that was an easily accomplished role for anybody.
Like I said, he was a wildman. In the best sense of the word.
I'm very sad that he died.
Brian

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy »

Can't top Brian but I got my own Danko story. Went to see him at the Horseshoe in Toronto in like 1991 and me and my buddy started drinking with this guy at the bar. Turns out this guy is Danko's first cousin and asks me if I want to hang out with Rick backstage during the break. My response was somethin like "Fuck yeah". Had a beer with Rick who was all smiles and seemed genuinely happy to meet to me and my buddy. Not the greatest story in the world but the closest I ever felt to be a rock star and got to hang with one of my true rock n roll heroes.

I've got a better story about Sam and Paul from Little Feat trying to steal my girlfriend after a show but that's for another thread...

CanadianVolt

Post by CanadianVolt »

Who can top this ?

:)

Awesome, feel free to spew out a few more road stories.

CanadianVolt

Post by CanadianVolt »

Who can top this ?

:)

Awesome, feel free to spew out a few more road stories.

Neverwonagrammy

The Band. Wow. They were the absolute coolest. Got the incredible pleasure of being on the road with them for one week.
I was playin' mandolin with Uncle Tupelo at the time, and we were on a package tour that included Taj Mahal, Michelle Shocked, and The Band.
It was Michelle Shocked's tour, right after her Arkansas Traveller album came out.
The tour was supposed to last 7 weeks, but, only lasted 7 days (a WHOLE 'nother story...).
I have more memories from that week, than from my entire time in the music business.
The Band were the only legends I ever met, who exceeded my expectations of them.
This was a late incarnation of The Band, Robbie Robertson wasn't with them, and Richard Manuel was dead, but, wow, I still can't believe what amazing dudes they were. Some of the highlights, in no particular order were...
Within the first 60 seconds of meeting Rick Danko, he proceeded to tell me all about being in AA, then, proceeded to drink a bottle of Crazy Horse malt liquor with me (I still have the bottle).
Levon Helm chewed tobacco, swallowed the spit, and smoked cigarettes at the same time. He told me "Son, I quit spittin' years ago, too damn messy..."
Got to sing "The Weight", with Levon, leaning over his back, while he played drums.
Man, these stories could go on and on, let's just say, it was incredible.
I ADORE The Band. I still can't believe I got to meet them.
We actually played Carnegie Hall on that tour.
What a friggin' week that was...
Brian

CanadianVolt

Post by CanadianVolt »

The band is awesome. My dad has seen them several times in the early 70's, and went to watkins glen and Roosevelt Stadium NJ shows in 73' - 74. I still have some old 1/4" bootlegs! Lots of live band out there as they often toured with the dead who would set up a 600 track quadraphonic sound recording center just to capture one of Jerry's burps :)

Duckman

Post by Duckman »

The Band were the guys who made it all happen...

Without the Band, music would sound different today.
It's a reason these guys were called THE Band.

I'm currently reading "Across The Great Divide" about The Band, and "Wheels On Fire" is next"...

Paid 60$ for a first edition of "Music From Big Pink" on LP a few years back. I'm a Band-nut.

calexico

Post by calexico »

saratoga jay wrote:
Talus wrote:I really didn't think you'd know all of the American slang for prison. Joint, big house, slammer, pen, pokey.
a bad marriage
Excellent!!!

You only chime in now and then Jay but always with golden nuggets! :D

maura tierney

Post by maura tierney »

Fenrisinho wrote:Tell that to maura :wink:
Very funny. Unfortunately, trouble follows me everywhere. So look out Fen, you might find yourself locked up in the cells for the night with me instead of going to see the B-rox!