Lucero

Godsownsinger

Post by Godsownsinger »

I havent heard the old stuff, but Nobodys Darlings is a great album, havent stopped listening to it since I bought it... 8)

Damaged Son

Post by Damaged Son »

yeouch...."bad version of the Gin Blossoms"...heh heh.

I was never really ecstatic about Lucero's albums and I'm still not really a huge fan, but they're very entertaining live and their frontman, Ben Nichols, is probably one of the most sincere and grateful good ole Southern boys up on stage talkin' to the crowd as i've ever seen without coming off hokey or ho-hum-hillbilly either.

Just honest, straightforward, earnest, and enjoying himself.

I saw them live some weeks ago here in Cambridge and it was definitely fun. The closest comparision i can make is that Lucero reminds me of what Slobberbone must've been like back around the Crow Pot Pie days. Still young and rough and tumble like them before Brent Best really started to craft his lyrical gems.
Lucero may be developing at a slower rate (or simply in a different direction) than the S'bone but i think they've got a lot of potential if they stick around.

There's a line in "Nights Like These" from their album Tennessee which i always liked and still seems to sum up the spirit of the songs...

"She had a weakness for writers...
And i...i was never that good with words anyway."

;)

rock&roll_lifestyle

Post by rock&roll_lifestyle »

Can someone please help me understand what they see in Lucero? I'm not much for harshing on bands, but I bought That Much Further West on a recommendation of a friend and was very unimpressed. I listened to it at least 6 times before I sold it at a used record store. It reminded me of a bad version of the Gin Blossoms. What does everyone see in these guys that I'm missing?

hot burrito

Post by hot burrito »

A friend of mine saw them in NYC a week or two ago, he said Ben was drunk and wanted to play all night. Said the bar had to cut the house music and lights on to get him to quit playing. Said he even played and sang after that. Said the crowd was shouting boos to the sound guy.

STLBlues05

Post by STLBlues05 »

i suggested to sharon that these guys be tapped as openers for the upcoming Son Volt tour. She said she'd pass it along to Jay, but who knows? I know there's alot of crap to work thru on things like that.

I've seen them a few times and the guys are so cool and down to earth. They're very accessible to their fans and are just fun to watch. Not to mention their songs kick ass.

grainpulp

Post by grainpulp »

These guys blow.

Sho_nuff

Post by Sho_nuff »

I bought one of their albums because a review on it said "The Country album the replacements never made" and it did sound like it, damn good

little onion

Post by little onion »

i received a b-side rarities lucero bootleg in trade awhile back. a couple of 7" singles and other demo' compulation stuff. some new nichols songs but not very fleshed out. great stuff for a fan though.

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

no depression compared ben nichols to jay farrar in their review of nobodys darlings. go to their web site listen to some FREE songs and decide for yourself i guess. good voice, good musicians and good lyrics.

cause there's something about just laying down and taking all that pain
i'd rather drive all night, if it's all the same
cause half a tank of gas will get me far enough
to be completely lost by the time the sun comes up
'It Gets The Worst At Night'
--Lucero

mcmi0402

Post by mcmi0402 »

Ok, you guys got my attention. But what do these guys sound like? I undrestand they rock but is there any comparisons that could be made? I'm just trying to size em' up before I blow 15$.

drew

Post by drew »

"hold me close" off the new album rocks my lame ass off

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

Man I have been checking these guys out recently and just love them. I have Nobody's Darlings and TMFW so far and just can't quit playing them. Hope to get to see them soon.

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

I am going to see them in Tampa on Sunday at the Orpheum and an instore at Vinyl Fever. I like all 4 of the albums I have, Nobody's Darlings, That Much Further West, Tenn, and ST. They also have an EP called the Basement Tapes that is supposed to be excellent. I say check them out if you haven't already.

smoke

Post by smoke »

I agree with HB, TMFW is the best of the bunch. Tenn. is a fine record, don't misunderstand me. But, TMFW is the most fully formed and fleshed out record. They have a self-titled disc that is pretty good, but not as good overall as the ones that followed. I saw them play twice last year and was pretty impressed. Ben pretty much let the crowd write the set list by playing whatever anyone wanted to hear. Plus, he had a beer with me and my pals and we shot the shit.

hot burrito

Post by hot burrito »

That much further west is my fave. Tennessee is a great album also. You can't go wrong with either one.