Bowery Show Tonight

fwwank

Post by fwwank »

still...the line of the night...

If learning is living, and the truth is a state of mind
You'll find it's better at the end of the line.

I get chills every time I hear that tune.

Medication--Route--Tear Stained Eye

my hilights

GOPster

Post by GOPster »

I posted a couple of pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/gopster/sets/586284/ I'm still unsure of what I thought of the show. All I know is Jay isn't as lively as that guy from Dr. Dog. I'll hafta listen to Okemah...

Damaged Son

Re: Pickin up

Post by Damaged Son »

gam6 wrote:I was the asshole that yelled Pickin Up...at any rate, I wasn't sure if Jay frowned or smiled at the Pickin Up yell...
I'd bet it was a smile.

Even though it's more of a love song to his wife, some of those lyrics are wonderfully appropriate given the occasion.

"Picking up the signal right here
Right here after all
After this confusion is put aside
After all, we're finally gonna make it right."

And the song just f-ckin' rawks.
:)

fwwank

Pickin Up The Signal

Post by fwwank »

I heard ya...he definately smiled a little when u yelled it....there were a few moments when Jay was 'animated', for Jay anyway...he's usually such a cold fish...I saw SV on New Years in 99 and he didn't even acknowledge that is was New Years Eve...

he still rocks though.

really wanted a Chickamauga last night..oh well.

gam6

Pickin up

Post by gam6 »

I was the asshole that yelled Pickin Up as I just hear it on wfuv on my ride down and was pumped. I was trying to figure out the Guitarist and wasn't sure who it was! I knew brad rice had jet black hair... at any rate, I wasn't sure if Jay frowned or smiled at the Pickin Up yell. I didn't realize that maybe not all of themembers were familiar with it! The Nice brand spankin new SG Jay was rockin was sweet!

ejillard

Night of the living dead

Post by ejillard »

Through the first 4 songs (all from the new album) I hardly detected a peep from the audience.... it was pretty clear that not many people had Okemah before the show. It was only on the "Trace" songs that people came alive. And I got the sense that half the audience knew precisely two (2) SV songs: Tear Stained Eye and Windfall.

Talus

Post by Talus »

Rice had a prior commitment-was it Lucinda Williams? Tift Merrit?

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

I disagree about the band looking bored.

Chris Frame DID look like that. I was gonna comment on that in my post but I forgot. But I think it's just his style. It struck me as just the way the guy is, like John Entwistle's onstage style versus the rest of The Who or something.

Duplantis was definitely into it. Bryson was pounding the drums and very much into it. The keyboard guy was really into the music. Jay was as demonstrative as he's been in the recent shows I've seen.

marahstafarian

Post by marahstafarian »

No to rain on the parade, but I was very underwhelmed by the show last night.

I thought the band looked bored the entire time, just plodding through the songs the same way they appear on the records. Perhaps some of it was Frame's late addition to the lineup. He seemed to be a good enough guitar player, but looked like he was still feeling his newfound situation out. It seemed to me he could have been more aggressive in places, but chose to stand down instead. For me, "Straightfaced" was the highlight of the evening, and hopefully is a sign of what this band may sound like when it gels.

Also was very dissapointed with the length of the set - only 78 minutes by my watch. Perhaps its because I made the 2-plus hour drive up from Delaware (and of course home afterwards), but I expected a longer set, especially at a show dubbed a record release party. Again, perhaps its because the band is still fledgling and doesn't know all the Son Volt back catalog, but I would have loved to have heard some more off Wide Swing Tremolo - songs like "Strands," "Right On Through," and "Question."

I'd probably say 5 out of 10 stars.

As for the new record, I think it's fantastic. The run of "Bandages & Scars," "Afterglow 61," "Jet Pilot," and "Atmosphere" (my favorite song on the record) is as good an opening as I've heard to a disc in along time.

8 out of 10 stars for the CD.

By the way, does anybody know why Brad Rice isn't touring? Was he supposed to just do the album session and split, or was there a fall out between he and Jay or something.

Jesse

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

GRGGGGGRRRRRRMUTHERFUKKAHHHHSHSSSS!!! I’m so jealous.
SO jealous. SO.JEALOUS. I BET it was a tremendous show. I’m voyeuristic so I’ll read all the “it was SO AWESOME” comments, and I’ll grumble and growl and kick my feet, but really – I’m glad. I’m happy that they’ve shot out of the gates with such tremendous vigor! GO VOLT!!! BRING FORTH THE ROCK!!!

Antelope850 Now - about all the women in the crowd. Sigh. They’re wising up, you see. Over the past several years, I’ve taken it upon myself to educate many females with my unsavory persuasive tactics. Any time I hear some giggly-girl say “OMG Jeff Tweedy is SO cute!” I just slap them hard across the face and shake them and say,“YOU ARE A FAILURE!”, then I grab their pig-tails and force their wee heads around to some VOLT (etc…)
This type of intervention has been surprisingly effective. In due time their doe eyes glaze over and they understand where the rock is, and what Real Ultimate Power feels like. Then they become total Jay-Zombies because everything else pales in comparison. You’ve got to deprogram these women, raise their expectations and bring a level of understanding to them that they’d previous been unexposed to. I would single-handedly like to take credit for converting the female audience. Here’s the downside to that … now the bitches ALL UP IN MY SHIT.

Reverend8

Fun With Celebs

Post by Reverend8 »

Agreed that the show was incredible. Hadn't seen Jay in about two years, and was blown away. As for celeb spotting, saw Steve Earle hanging outside after the show.

fwwank

Bowery

Post by fwwank »

show was great!

must say I was unimpresssed and almost bored up till Medication...the new tunes before it did not move me...I was pinin' for the twang of the Boquists and shakin my head thinkin how disappointed I was...then WOW!

Medication is such a good tune...electric...transcendant...then the older tunes and a few new ones brought me around

7 out of 10

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

Goin Down South? Like the R.L. Burnside song?

thatbeat

Post by thatbeat »

did you see any cameras or mics set up? i'm hoping someone taped the show, love to hear\see it!

thanks for the review!

little onion

Post by little onion »

thanks for the review. sounds like a great show.