do something practical for jay?

kmz

Post by kmz »

heard "out on the road" earlier today on kexp--that makes 2 days in a row! thanks. i'll never tire of hearing jay.

professor_squishy

Post by professor_squishy »

kmz wrote:i agree with prof squishey. i guess there is nothing wrong with some jay fantasies--i admit to some guilt there, but on a more practical note requesting his music seems a better way to help his exposure...

the local radio station here in seattle is great about playing jay. i have been requesting stuff from terroir blues a couple times a week with the djs coming through each time. it was particularly cool to hear "out on the road" on the radio. the station has a great website with realtime playlists and streams live. if you spend any time in front of a computer like i do a couple days a week it helps to stave off the demons. anyways, here is the url...

http://kexp.org

there is also a live performance by jay and mark and a bit of an interview from when he swung through town in july.
Thanks for the info. I sent an equest for some Jay...

lizish9

Post by lizish9 »

Don't think he needs the help.

He's pretty well established. Every CD will sell about the same, every tour gather around the same amount of money and the paycheck for every soundtrack equal the last.

Sure, it would be nice to see artists we all like making a P.Diddy wage and sure, I'll pimp Terrior Blues as one of the best of the year but a ton of money and a wide fan base is just not going to happen. And that is fine - he's making a living as an artist - an admirable feat.

kmz

Post by kmz »

i agree with prof squishey. i guess there is nothing wrong with some jay fantasies--i admit to some guilt there, but on a more practical note requesting his music seems a better way to help his exposure...

the local radio station here in seattle is great about playing jay. i have been requesting stuff from terroir blues a couple times a week with the djs coming through each time. it was particularly cool to hear "out on the road" on the radio. the station has a great website with realtime playlists and streams live. if you spend any time in front of a computer like i do a couple days a week it helps to stave off the demons. anyways, here is the url...

http://kexp.org

there is also a live performance by jay and mark and a bit of an interview from when he swung through town in july.

Alexa

Post by Alexa »

Oh yea, CE, you got it.

The only time I tried to meet a singer after a show was this summer. Normally I leave em alone but since I'd bought all 30 or so of this guy's cd's and had been listening to him for a long time, I thought I'd try...

I waited 45 minutes by his tour bus and ended up talking to this girl who was also waiting to meet him...anyhoo, she was telling me all about how she had positioned herself to meet Prince and Madonna...she was quite the celebrity hound, and I'm not, so I left her to him.

I'd prob. make a fool outta myself if I met Farrar...I'd be tongue-tied, for sure.

CaryatidEasy

Post by CaryatidEasy »

I'm with you Alexa--I'll help him out and show my appriciation in ways he'd enjoy WAY more than money!!

I tried having a conversation with him last time he was in Hollywood and it's like pulling teeth. I'm sure he's a very intellient man just not much of a talker.

Anyone read a book called "The Fuck Up"?

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

Lawd, please forgive my evil ways. :oops:

stillfeelgone

Post by stillfeelgone »

thanks for the tip prof,the emails on its way.mck

saratoga jay

horde 96

Post by saratoga jay »

I had a cool, day long opportunity to meet and hang around Jay and the Son Volt boys when they headlined the second stage in Saratoga on the 1996 Horde Tour. I had a chance to speak briefly with all the guys as a group and individually. They were all cool, all of them, including their guitar tech DeWitt. They had some horseshoes going on, but stayed pretty close to their bus and they were really appreciative of a true fan (and it was before I totally got educated and into the UT cd's). All four guys were cool enough to sign my Trace cd liner notes, and on their bus they were very friendly but kinda shy outside around the other second stage acts. Later on I brought them almost a dozen BBQ Pork and BBQ chicken sandwiches for some chow on the road and I got to watch their set literally from the side of the stage.

One of my all time greatest experiences as a lifelong music fan......besides heading up the Halfy for President campaign, of course!

professor_squishy

Post by professor_squishy »

If anyone wants to help me get Jay played on KFOG, here's a couple of links you can use to request songs:

http://www.kfog.com/Requests/Equest.asp
http://www.kfog.com/AcousticSunrise/default.asp

One obvious request would be "California" from TB. :-)

I'm more than willing to do the same for your local radio stations. Thanks in advance.

stillfeelgone

Post by stillfeelgone »

ok folks,maybe i went a bridge too far,but i,m glad to hear you guys are all so enthusiastically appreciating jays work.i guess your right,he just needs more fans.anybody out there had any conversation with jay?

jbwilm

Post by jbwilm »

Theres a station here in NC-not too far from Wilmington WPPG-the Penguin. They are not on the web yet but they play Uncle Tupelpo, Son Volt, Wilco, -they play everybody-Tom Waits, Rickie Lee Jones, etc. The station is unbelieveable.

rgk

Post by rgk »

stillfeelgone, if he needed it, I'm in. His music and his voice have given me so much more than what I have spent on cd's over the years. It would be a huge void in my life if it ever went away. Even his ticket prices ($15) are obscenely low compared to what he's worth.....I'd pay 20X that to see him.

Anyway, I think everyone is right. We can spead the word about him. But, if we hear he's in need we can pull together and work out something....

Jay--if you ever read this--and I doubt you do---just remember we are here when you need us! Just ask.

Grotto Slack

Post by Grotto Slack »

Jay probably makes 1500 and some night up to 2000 every time he walks on stage. That's the nice thing about the 2 man gig he's got going on. In addition, his record is #50 on the pop charts and all of the UT reissues are on the Alt Country charts. He doesn't need money, he needs fans.

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

Alas, I am trust-fundless.