What type of Wilco fan are you?

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

thought i would attempt to resurrect this thread since i attended a wilco show this week in miami beach. the venue, as goldilocks might conclude, was just right. 1500-1600 capacity so not be large. concerts have become a delicate balance for me as far as the crowd, the parking, the hawking, the shoe(star)gazers. a couple of very nice chandeliers for a touch of grandiose. before i meander into my review of the show i candidly express my ambivalence for the band, wilco. a.m has some fine moments and when i am giddy, summerteeth is quite cathartic. the sessions with bragg revealed some moments that touch me. to this day, j bennett remains locked in my musical vault in a manner similar to anders p. hope he is doing well and was able to find some peace if the good book means anything. anyways, the show:

30+ songs with a befitting conclusive tribute to alex chilton. in the midst of the noise there was, in the median, an acoustic set that allowed me to close my eyes and pretend no one else was around and i was in my room of long ago with my black light and a jimi hendrix poster. my thanks for that moment. the band deconstructed and reconstructed several songs with a healthy level of musicianship. i must say that nels cline appears to truly enjoy the path he has chosen. good for him. there were moments when sansone stepped from behind the keyboards and joined tweedy and cline in a wall of guitar sound that delivered short lived shivers somewhere in me. a sing along on jesus etc. seemed noncontrived and the crowd seemed to be in the moment. an intense rhythm experience with bull black nova.

no doubt, willco knows how to spread the pixie dust, and for the most part, i was a willing participant. good job boys.

bensco

Post by bensco »

A... I do not get the rest.

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

I was just wondering where Hoops has been lately. S'pose he finally ran off with Simmons to a deserted tropical isle?

bellevillemusic

Post by bellevillemusic »

After all these years I find myself still going back to Being There / AM / Mermaid Ave I & II and to a lesser degree Summerteeth. Jeff's songwriting & JB's production being the reason why, save for AM which other than Jeff, is due to Brian's contributions.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Shuck, what is with that blue font colour? I can't read that shite. I assume that the VC posts would make me laugh but I'll never know. Please edit with a readable colour. Thank you, me.

ShuckOwens

Post by ShuckOwens »

Last edited by ShuckOwens on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

twitcher73

Post by twitcher73 »

I've been listening to The Palace at 4am by Bennett and Burch and I think it is as good as any Wilco stuff out there. This is a great, great record...

mister spills

Post by mister spills »

1) AM
2) the Mermaid records
3) The rest all blends together

YHF is a better record than Being There.
Summerteeth is a fucking annoyance.
I never bothered listening to AGIB. Who knows? Maybe I'd like it.

ps- Henneman made AM what it is. I been preaching that for years.

Beltmann

Post by Beltmann »

Fenrisinho wrote:Definately Group F:

Being There & YHF are two of the best albums ever made
Summerteeth & AGIB are pretty good too
I also like A.M + The Mermaid Avenue albums are as good as any.

I'm that kinda Wilco fan :wink:
I think I'm in Group F as well.

When it comes to twang I probably prefer Farrar, but I absolutely cherish Tweedy's experimental side. It's worth noting that even though the last few albums have laid on the sonicscapes pretty thick, Jeff's solo shows reveal that his songwriting is as sturdy as ever.

CarolinaGal

Post by CarolinaGal »

Hmm...I guess I'm both A and B. If I had to rank..

Being There
YHF
AM
Summerteeth
Mermaid I
AGIB
Mermaid II

And yeah, I'm a Jeff fan so sue me.

bigdieseltrucker

Post by bigdieseltrucker »

AM is the only one I really go back to. Passenger Side goes well with a buzz. I hate to be the one to break it, but I saw a post from someone about bad singers and the like. Tweedy was the first that came to mind. Hell is Chrome was the only song I really liked on AGIB. Sounds like he's sucking some Radiohead dick nowadays.

sand dusky

Post by sand dusky »

i think that Summerteeth was my least favourite ( which is not to say i don't like it ) and YFH and Being There are miles ahead for me. A.M. and Ghost is Born have some stand out tracks. I am a fan of Tweedy's music as a whole

Green

Post by Green »

Just a fan.
Have followed Jay and Jeff since the Tupelo days.
Anything these two guys contribute to I'm there, be it Son Volt, Wilco, or side projects such as soundtracks, cameos and collaborations.
Jeff's most consistent and plain loveable body of work since "Anodyne"
has been "Summerteeth": it's certainly the one I play most often.
Yet still, I tend to lean Jay's way in terms of songwriting and needless to
say, vocal delivery.
Who's like him?
Plus I'd never dream of frequenting another message board......
well, just the one.....
Howdy Brian.

drew

Post by drew »

Im a twanger but I still love the new albums.

I would rate them:

1. Being There
2.AM
2b. a Ghost is Born
3. Summerteeth
4 Yankee Hotel Foxtrot- I think this is a great album but it is definitely not my favorite Wilco CD. Id say its slightly overrated by alot of people

Route

Post by Route »

I'm a twanger, I like every new album a little less it seems than the previous one.