Playing any covers this tour?

Sandusky

Post by Sandusky »

No, criminals, I'm not able to go to the show Monday because my hubby goes into work around midnight. Since we live an hour & a half away from STL we wouldn't get home in time. :cry:
I thought about going to the show by myself, but it wouldn't be fair to hubby. He'd be sooooooo jealous!

criminals

Post by criminals »

I didn't hear the seal, unfortunately i couldn't attend the wilco show that night.

sandusky, are you going monday night?

Post by Guest »

I saw the Joe's Pub show. The only Tupe songI remember was 'Still be Around.' And yes--he closed with a very spacy version of 'Love You Too'. I've seen Jay do a lot of covers, but this was something completely different.

Sandusky

Post by Sandusky »

Wow, :shock: criminals, that's so cool that you heard me!!! Did you hear the seal? That's my friend Anthony. Were you at the Wilco show at The Pageant where Anthony made the seal imitation & Tweedy replied with, "Who brought the seal?" That was awesome. :P Unfortunately my seal friend just moved from STL to TX, so I'm going to miss hearing the seal... :(

criminals

Post by criminals »

sandusky, i heard you yell that! and jay's freebird response was pretty humorous. but that was about it from him that night in terms of dialogue. i couldn't believe it when he played "love you to". i am a huge beatles fan and that is on my favorite album, revolver. it is a george harrison song that is heavy on the sitar, and jay and mark spencer definitely did it justice. the closing song, sing me back home, was also excellent. that is a song coffee creek used to play all the time at their show's in cicero's, but i think jay playing the piano gave it a much different effect. it was a great way to end the show.

can't wait till monday night!

dan

Haggischomper

Post by Haggischomper »

He played Edinburgh, Scotland last year - I had to miss the show, unfortunately - and he played Whiskey Bottle there, apparently.

Sandusky

Post by Sandusky »

When I saw him in St. Louis 11/30/02 he played 'Love You To' also. He ended the show with a Merle Haggard cover 'Sing Me Back Home'. That was really cool, it was just him on piano.
He also played Tupelo's 'Still Be Around' & 'Grindstone'. So the answer is YES, he DOES play some Tupelo. :D
I have a funny story about that show. Jay doesn't say much at his shows. It's usually just a "Thanks a lot". Well, I wanted to get some kind of response from him so in between songs I yelled, "WHISKEY BOTTLE" really loud & he responded with "Freebird" :!: The crowd just went crazy!! I guess they were a little shocked by his reaction! It was REALLY cool!!!!! 8)

smoke

Post by smoke »

Ditto on the 'Still Be Around'. I saw him about two months ago at Columbia, MO and that is the only UT song I recall.

thoughawindshield

Post by thoughawindshield »

I would love to hear him bring back some Gram Parsons...

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

Yeah. Last year he played "Still Be Around" though it was completely reworked.

WhiskeyOnMyMind

Post by WhiskeyOnMyMind »

Does jay ever play tupelo tunes on tour?

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I assume you mean you downloaded the Beatles version. I guess there are no copies for the Joe's Pub show floating around?

uesbc

Post by uesbc »

I read that Jay played an old Beatles tune called "Love You Too" at Joe's Pub last month. I downloaded it just so I would recognize it 7/9 at the Bowery!

High Water

Playing any covers this tour?

Post by High Water »

In SV and UT, Jay always surprised us by playing some great covers at the shows. Is he playing any on this tour, or just focusing on the new album? Playing any UT songs? I remember last year I think he played "Still be Around".