Best concert you have ever seen?

Haggischomper

Post by Haggischomper »

Springsteen - Paris, France October 2002. Or maybe it was September? Anyway, good times, good times.

Best I have seen lately was Drive By Truckers @ King Tut's Wah Wah Hut in Glasgow. Ear-bleeding so it was. And, boy, can those fuckers drink. Endearing, so they are.

jbwilm

Post by jbwilm »

The Police in Feb, 1984 in Greensboro, NC. High energy and fast. Great show!!

Steely Dan-Raleigh NC 2000-this was the 4th time I had seen them and they blew the whole audience away. It was an amzing show.

wilco1836

wow

Post by wilco1836 »

Hard one to answer but if I have to pick I'll make some choices with the performances, content and atmosphere in mind.

Best performance, and I'm sure I'll get a shit bomb on my porch for this one-Ryan Adams at the Paramount Theatre in Denver. I sat quiet with everybody else as he put on a great show. He is a great pianist and guitarist if you give him a chance.

Best content, Rancid in 12/00 the best punk band that has been around that actually plays and writes good songs that my older friends can listen to and I'm 35.

Atmosphere\attitude-Ed Hall the great post punk TX band that blows the Butt Hole Surfers away. Early 1995 in Denver I was one of 20 or so people at the show on a week night, so hung over I was drinking alka-selser mixed into screw drivers! Two guys in the front beat each other for the whole show in true punk style for no reason while the band played to 20 people showing background films of some kids birthday party at earbleed volume . Killer! Or Nirvana in 1993 with The Breeders and Melvins opening.

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

Okay, okay, I've got it. The best show I've ever seen was the Preacher's Kids at the Two Stick here in Oxford. It was on the birthday of the owner of the place. Also it was the last night in town for their original bass player so it was indeed a night to get ripped. Everybody in the joint was in great spirits, drinking, dancing, pogoing, skanking. Strangers were hugging one another, drunk on booze and punk rawk. The original bassist sat in on the last three songs and the band just rocked out like nobody's business. The band was so drunk that they wound up playing their instruments on the floor but, incredibly, no one missed a note. At closing time the owner grabbed the mic and told the crowd that they could no longer sell alcohol but they could give it away, which they did. Girls lined up on the bar dancing their asses off (not in a skanky way but in an inspired way, if that makes sense), the owner was swinging from the rafters, quite literally. Awesome show. A ladyfriend and I went back to my place to "get right" before the afterparty but wound up clearing the furniture out of my living room to dance to the Ramones. But I digress.

I highly recommend the Preacher's Kids. Someone once described them as "the Damned covering Chuck Berry". Fifties-influenced punk. Great stuff.

Alexa

Post by Alexa »

I'll have to go for any number of Star Room Boys concerts at the 40 Watt in Athens, GA, god rest their souls.

Maybe New Year's Eve, 1999, when I was drunk, more or less spinning in circles, and being a dancin' fool. Fuck yea!

Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Neil Young & Crazy Horse

In the rain at The Gorge in George, WA 9-14-96.

rgk

Post by rgk »

long slow fade, you are right. I have a hard time even answering my own question.

i'd say:
Billy Bragg, in 86? In Providence. Where he babbled about politics the whole time singing about 5 songs. When someone asked him to actually play a song he told them to turn on the jukebox in the back....it was interesting and memorable.

UT in New Haven, early 94? Joe Henry opened. About 12 people were there and that's where I was sold on them. My friends and I had them right in front of us with the floor almost to ourselves to dance around.

More recently......not many concerts here in Vermont, so I'd have to say Patty Griffin last year in Northampton. She had a horrible cold but sang beautifully. A few years ago Wilco in Northampton, Summer Teeth tour. I got mesmerized by Jay Bennett doing his thing.

fygmynt

oooh

Post by fygmynt »

pavement at the echo lounge (atlanta), 1997

what i wouldn't give to see tom waits.

~fygmynt

Bound to Get Burned

Post by Bound to Get Burned »

Pink Floyd '94---Birmingham, AL

lizish9

Post by lizish9 »

Bill Nelson - Elmo 81 or 82
Clash - O'Keefe Centre 80
Mats - Masonic Temple 85

tribby

Post by tribby »

meat puppets-zippy's '84

smoke

Post by smoke »

Emmylou Harris in Columbia, MO on her Wrecking Ball tour. I filled the cup on that one, believe me. Still not sure why cause I'm not that big a fan but damn did it sound magical.

Montana-Bitterroot

Post by Montana-Bitterroot »

In the Flesh - Roger Waters, 1999 Rosemont Theater Chicago.

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

That's a broad question. I don't mean that its a question that only a broad would ask. It is just that many outside factors could ruin a musically flawless show (significant other acting a damn fool, friend OD's, etc). I guess I'd have to say that the most interesting show I have ever seen was in a little back alley bar in Memphis called Barrister's back in late '97 or early '98. I went to check out the Jesus Lizard but the opening band (from Memphis, I might add) scared holy hell out of the entire bar. They were called The Diarrhea Of Anne Frank.

Go ahead and read that again. I'll wait.

Let me see if I can paint you goodly folk a picture that would do the evening justice. There were five guys in the band. Well, "band" is a term I loosely use to describe this collective. Musically they were shit. The three guys onstage "played" a throbbing cacophony (sic? sic.) of repetitious nonsense while the guy beating his bass (he was in no way playing it) screamed into a mic at what seemed like random times. Meanwhile the other two members roamed the audience wearing hockey masks that had little feelgood messages like "I don't like you" and "Fuck you" written on them. These guys were huge. By "huge" I don't mean bigger than normal folks. No, by "huge" I mean "they looked like they swallowed Mama Cass and washed her down with a couple of professional wrestlers and were then irradiated with gamma rays". Where there should have been a mosh pit there was not since these two monolithic Goliath-types were roughing up anyone foolish enough to get near the stage. Everyone was trying to get as far away as possible. People were CRAMMED into the back but, as Barrister's was a tiny bar, there wasn't really anywhere to go. The guys on stage, between "songs" would smash precious vinyl (a stack of about 50 were destroyed) over each other's faces. They were bleeding all over the place. At one point they smashed a TV and threw it into the crowd. Then the lead singer pulled out a jar that was filled with a nasty brown chunky liquid. He claimed it was, of course, diarrhea. He started drinking it, flinging it on the crowd, spitting it into the big goons' mouths, just really making a scene. They were holding people down and rubbing it all into their faces, clothes, etc. It wasn't really diarrhea thank God but damn, it scared the hell out of everybody.

Now I know what some of you are thinking. "I would've beaten the hell out of those guys."

No, you wouldn't. A jar of diarrhea is the ultimate equalizer. If I'm pointing a gun at someone and he pulls out a jar of diarrhea I'm going to raise the white flag and run away quicker than a French surrender. And you would too.

Anyway, the Jesus Lizard played after a clean-up crew came along and hosed down the joint. They rocked hard. I even met David Yow before the show and he was super-cool. He even beat me at a game of pool. I think I still owe him a beer.

saratoga jay

...say it ain't so pete!

Post by saratoga jay »

The Who in '89 at RFK in DC.....Wow, I was blown away....
First set was Tommy and the second, well every song was like an friggin' anthem...awesome.

...but that is a tough question to have just one answer to!