Best concert you have ever seen?

mister spills

Post by mister spills »

Laughing Hyenas, circa 1989 I think. You Can't Pray A Lie tour. I had no idea what I was in for. I had never seen nor imagined anyone playing with that kind of energy and intensity. I think I was 18. I never listened to music the same way again. Impossible to describe. Blew my mind wide open.

All these years later, that's still the one to top.

Talus

Post by Talus »

Neil solo in 91.

John Hiatt and the Memphis Queens in 95.

Midnight Oil in 92.

John Hiatt solo in 2004

Fat_Pigs

Post by Fat_Pigs »

1977 - Kiss on the "Love Gun" tour. Talk about blowing a 7-yr old mind...

DBT -9/2003 @ Blueberry Hill - DBT always kicks my ass live. It was the first time I had seen them and will never miss 'em hencforth.

1995/6 Son Volt at Weakissippi Nights - I jumped 6 ft off the ground when Jay and Mike ripped into "Postcard".

Recently - Marah at "Off Broadway" - Never fell in love with the albums, but you can't deny them live.

More Recently - Two Cow Gararge @ Freddie's on New Years. They rocked HARD!!!!! Very impressive.

kittkatt

Post by kittkatt »

Long Slow Fade wrote:That's a broad question. I don't mean that its a question that only a broad would ask. It is just that many outside factors could ruin a musically flawless show (significant other acting a damn fool, friend OD's, etc). I guess I'd have to say that the most interesting show I have ever seen was in a little back alley bar in Memphis called Barrister's back in late '97 or early '98. I went to check out the Jesus Lizard but the opening band (from Memphis, I might add) scared holy hell out of the entire bar. They were called The Diarrhea Of Anne Frank.

Go ahead and read that again. I'll wait.

Let me see if I can paint you goodly folk a picture that would do the evening justice. There were five guys in the band. Well, "band" is a term I loosely use to describe this collective. Musically they were shit. The three guys onstage "played" a throbbing cacophony (sic? sic.) of repetitious nonsense while the guy beating his bass (he was in no way playing it) screamed into a mic at what seemed like random times. Meanwhile the other two members roamed the audience wearing hockey masks that had little feelgood messages like "I don't like you" and "Fuck you" written on them. These guys were huge. By "huge" I don't mean bigger than normal folks. No, by "huge" I mean "they looked like they swallowed Mama Cass and washed her down with a couple of professional wrestlers and were then irradiated with gamma rays". Where there should have been a mosh pit there was not since these two monolithic Goliath-types were roughing up anyone foolish enough to get near the stage. Everyone was trying to get as far away as possible. People were CRAMMED into the back but, as Barrister's was a tiny bar, there wasn't really anywhere to go. The guys on stage, between "songs" would smash precious vinyl (a stack of about 50 were destroyed) over each other's faces. They were bleeding all over the place. At one point they smashed a TV and threw it into the crowd. Then the lead singer pulled out a jar that was filled with a nasty brown chunky liquid. He claimed it was, of course, diarrhea. He started drinking it, flinging it on the crowd, spitting it into the big goons' mouths, just really making a scene. They were holding people down and rubbing it all into their faces, clothes, etc. It wasn't really diarrhea thank God but damn, it scared the hell out of everybody.

Now I know what some of you are thinking. "I would've beaten the hell out of those guys."

No, you wouldn't. A jar of diarrhea is the ultimate equalizer. If I'm pointing a gun at someone and he pulls out a jar of diarrhea I'm going to raise the white flag and run away quicker than a French surrender. And you would too.

Anyway, the Jesus Lizard played after a clean-up crew came along and hosed down the joint. They rocked hard. I even met David Yow before the show and he was super-cool. He even beat me at a game of pool. I think I still owe him a beer.
they were still pulling these stunts untill a couple of years ago. it's funny how when they would play somewhere like last place on earth, they would be doing their little g.g. allin impersonations, but then the second they hit the stage at the new daisy, they kept it clean (physically at least).

kittkatt

Post by kittkatt »

i used to work door at a DIY punk club here. about 4 years ago, american nightmare played. we had a whole bunch of couches in the venue, and about halfway through the show all cushions were removed and a giant pillow fight ensued. i was standing on the back of a couch and a really drunk guy pulled me down. somehow the couch fell over too, and landed on my leg, breaking it in three places. in spite of the serious injury, it was one of the best times i have ever had in my life.

HEAVEN MUST BE LEARNED

Post by HEAVEN MUST BE LEARNED »

REM in memphis at mudd island in 86-great show!! drivin an cryin in oxford-several times-all good. uncle tupelo in oxford and the new son volt 12-11-04!

marvie34ever

best concert ever

Post by marvie34ever »

without a shadow of a doubt.. butch walker december 20th, 2004 in atlanta at the variety playhouse.. reunited marvelous 3 at the end of the show, and blew the living shit out of everyone in the crowd.. words wont even describe that night, his energy, his music, the crowd all knowing every lyrics to all his songs.. nothing compares

BoogieMan

Post by BoogieMan »

My top3 goes something like this:

Neil Young & Crazy Horse in 2001
AC/DC in 2000
Wilco in 2004

Mort

Post by Mort »

I LOVE live music, and try to see as many concerts as possible (at least I did so before I got married...). To pick the best show is difficult if not impossible. It depends on your mood, the band's/artist's mood, the date (not on the calendar...), location, seating, setlist, etc. etc. - too may factors!! I can't pick one, so here are some highlights:

- Springsteen - I've seen 40 Bruce-shows from 1988-2003. I guess no artist will ever match his shows - solo or with band.

and from there, in no particular order;

- Jay - Credo, Trondheim Norway March 15, 2004
- Joey (Joe Vadala) and the Works - Stone Pony, Asbury Park NJ, June 2000
- Robert Earl Keen - Tramps, NYC - June 1, 1997
- Steve Earle with Del McCoury - Royal Festival Hall, London UK - May 20, 1999
- Teenage Fanclub - Samfundet, Trondheim Norway - June 2000
- Neil Young - Greek Theatre, LA - Sept 22, 1992

Cheers,
Morten

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

TANEYTOWN wrote:SLOBBERBONE
Barley House Dallas Tx 8-24-03

1 PLACEMAT BLUES
2 SOBER SONG
3 BUTCHERS
4 THAT IS ALL
5 STUPIT WORDS
6 ENGINE JOE
7 BILLY PRITCAHRD
8 LUMBERLUNG
9 GIMME BACK MY DOG
10 TRUST JESUS ( WITH BANJO )
11 LAZY GUY ( WITH BANJO )
12 DUNK YOU IN THE RIVER ( WITH BANJO )
13 PINBALL SONG ( WITH BANJO )
14 QUEEN BEE ( BRENT SOLO ACOUSTIC )
15 BACK ( BRENT SOLO ACOUSTIC )
16 COMING OF SEPTEMBERS HIGH ( BRENT SOLO ACOUSTIC )
17 ONE RUNG ( BRENT SOLO ACOUSTIC )
SET TWO
18 LIKE A HURRICANE ( NEIL YOUNG )
19 SPRINGFIELD ILL
20 BRIGHT EYES DARKENED
21 RUIN YOUR DAY
22 BARREL CHESTED
23 STUMBLIN
24 CAN'T HARDLY WAIT ( REPLACEMENTS )
25 LOOKING FOR LEWIS & CLARK ( LONG RYDERS )
26 MAKES NO SINCE AT ALL ( HUSKER DU )
27 HEY HEY MY MY ( NIEL YOUNG )
28 JOSEPHINE ( MULE HEAD )
29 LODI ( CCR )
30 ARTOON ( SOUL ASYLUM )
31 STRIAGHT TO HELL ( DRIVIN N CRYIN )

Straight To Hell.......one of my top 10 songs ever!!!

I grew up just west of the tracks
holding me to hold me back
around your door
she's calling out my name

she said "son won't you go outside
I've got a man coming over tonight
The 7th one in 7 days"

So I go down
to the parking lot
and hang around
all my friends
And roam the street 'till dawn
breaks again

I come in at five am
and she is waitin' for me
she said, "where have you been?"
I said,
"I WAS OUT"
she said, "you're no good 'cause
you're runnin' without love"

I'm going straight to hell
just like my mama said

The black widow and the
ladies man
met down at the laundromat
AND TRIED TO MAKE me
understand

the neighbors were
all in a stir
about what they might have heard
and runnin' down they shouted out
it seemed

next door a girl she lives
about the same age as me
and asked me to come upstairs
for a see

just then her mother burst in
said, "you're the son of that
bitch in the wind
get outta my house
hit the road"
I kept fallin' like a
ROLLING STONES SONG

just like my mama said

The stars came out
and warned me so
as i walked on down
the road
fifty bucks and a suitcase
steered me clear

She took my hand
as we walked into the sun
a new days promise had
begun
we'll make it alone
whether you like it or not
I turned and shouted

HELP ME MOTHER

just like my mama said

MOTHER
LOVE HER
WON'T YOU LET ME GO

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

Tough question, but either R.E.M in Oslo 25.10.03 (10.25.03 pick one) or Jay at Blå in Oslo last march.

Peace, love
Frenchie Fenry

Straightaways

Post by Straightaways »

Hole at the Phoenix. September 1, 1994. I was 15 and it changed my little life. :lol:

TANEYTOWN

Post by TANEYTOWN »

SLOBBERBONE
Barley House Dallas Tx 8-24-03

1 PLACEMAT BLUES
2 SOBER SONG
3 BUTCHERS
4 THAT IS ALL
5 STUPIT WORDS
6 ENGINE JOE
7 BILLY PRITCAHRD
8 LUMBERLUNG
9 GIMME BACK MY DOG
10 TRUST JESUS ( WITH BANJO )
11 LAZY GUY ( WITH BANJO )
12 DUNK YOU IN THE RIVER ( WITH BANJO )
13 PINBALL SONG ( WITH BANJO )
14 QUEEN BEE ( BRENT SOLO ACOUSTIC )
15 BACK ( BRENT SOLO ACOUSTIC )
16 COMING OF SEPTEMBERS HIGH ( BRENT SOLO ACOUSTIC )
17 ONE RUNG ( BRENT SOLO ACOUSTIC )
SET TWO
18 LIKE A HURRICANE ( NEIL YOUNG )
19 SPRINGFIELD ILL
20 BRIGHT EYES DARKENED
21 RUIN YOUR DAY
22 BARREL CHESTED
23 STUMBLIN
24 CAN'T HARDLY WAIT ( REPLACEMENTS )
25 LOOKING FOR LEWIS & CLARK ( LONG RYDERS )
26 MAKES NO SINCE AT ALL ( HUSKER DU )
27 HEY HEY MY MY ( NIEL YOUNG )
28 JOSEPHINE ( MULE HEAD )
29 LODI ( CCR )
30 ARTOON ( SOUL ASYLUM )
31 STRIAGHT TO HELL ( DRIVIN N CRYIN )

thoughtseeker

Post by thoughtseeker »

Bright eyes created that atmosphere and with their full arrangement would have to be my favorite concert. wilco came close as did bill mallonee, bob dylan, and ben folds. i love weezer live too. i'm diggin this messageboard and probably will never post again.

samueller

UT show in Athens '90

Post by samueller »

I just found the question and the answer is Nirvana at the Maquerade in ATL-better than falling upstairs-
What i wanted to know is a lame Uncle Tupelo show question?-
My wife says we saw UT in Athens,GA in '90 ... I think she's confused and i wasn't that 'gone' then. Any help that proves my point would be a coup of major importance. :?: