Best concert you have ever seen?

hardwood floor

Post by hardwood floor »

over 1,000 to choose from ...

1. The Rainmakers, Birchmere, Alexandria, Va., 1998 or so?
2. The Rave-Ups, Dobbs, Philly, 1988-ish
3. Yes, Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, NJ, summer of 1976
4. Muddy Waters, Ohio Wesleyan Univ., Gray Chapel Hall, fall of 1981
5. Starcastle, Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, opening for Journey, 1977
6. Matt Keating, the Living Room, NYC, summer of 2008
7. Uncle Tupelo, Theater of Living Arts, Philly, 1994
8. Vulgar Boatmen, Dobbs, Philadelphia, probably 1988?
9. Steve Wynn, Moorestown, NJ, house concert, spring 2008
10. Genesis, Rockland Community College, Suffern, NY, 1978

Duckman

Post by Duckman »

Mort wrote:I'm always full of bullshit when it comes to these things. My intentions are always good, but I will probably end up drunk in an alley somewhere in Bergen, with only the ticketstub to remind me that I saw a Son Volt the night before! And of course the MD-recording in my back pocket... :)
I'll wake you up when I pass you in that ally after the Shane-concert :D
Carrying my two MD's with Jay and Shane on them.

Mort

Post by Mort »

I'm always full of bullshit when it comes to these things. My intentions are always good, but I will probably end up drunk in an alley somewhere in Bergen, with only the ticketstub to remind me that I saw a Son Volt the night before! And of course the MD-recording in my back pocket... :)

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

Mort wrote:
Fenrisinho wrote:Jippi-aye-aye-jippi-jipp-aye(Fenrisino's doing some wicked dancing in his livingroom) Think of seeing Son Volt and Shane MacGowan the same flippin' evening! Jess, Jess, Jess!
I am honestly not sure that I wanna do that. If so I would have preferred to see Shane at 7PM and Son Volt later. I want to go to bed that night with the memories of a great Son Volt show fresh in my head, not disturbed by 8 more beers, 4 more hours of loud music ringing in my head, and the image of Shane's beautiful face on my retina. If I make it to Bergen, I think I'm in for an early night at the hotel... :roll:
'I am going, I am going, any which way the wind may be blowing' Shane's the man. 'I am going, I am..Sure you're really Norwegian man? :wink:..going, where streams of whiskey are flowing..'

Peace, Love
Frenchie Fenry

Mort

Post by Mort »

Fenrisinho wrote:Jippi-aye-aye-jippi-jipp-aye(Fenrisino's doing some wicked dancing in his livingroom) Think of seeing Son Volt and Shane MacGowan the same flippin' evening! Jess, Jess, Jess!
I am honestly not sure that I wanna do that. If so I would have preferred to see Shane at 7PM and Son Volt later. I want to go to bed that night with the memories of a great Son Volt show fresh in my head, not disturbed by 8 more beers, 4 more hours of loud music ringing in my head, and the image of Shane's beautiful face on my retina. If I make it to Bergen, I think I'm in for an early night at the hotel... :roll:

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

Jippi-aye-aye-jippi-jipp-aye(Fenrisino's doing some wicked dancing in his livingroom) Think of seeing Son Volt and Shane MacGowan the same flippin' evening! Jess, Jess, Jess!

Peace, love
Frenchie Fenry

Duckman

Post by Duckman »

Mort wrote:
Duckman wrote:I just have to push the Ole Blues-gang to have "Son Volt" at apx. 20:00. 'Cause Shane McGowan & The Popes will be playing the same date at 23:00. And I REALLY want to see both.
Will offcourse choose "Son Volt" if it comes to that.
Duckman wrote:But the show was UTTERLY brilliant, and in front of me 3 extremely beautiful young girls were making out during the entire show. Can it get any better? I think NOT.
While your are pushing the Ole Blues commitee to have Son Volt to start at 20:00, please make them book the 3 hot chicks as well!! :wink:
I'm not THAT influential, but I can tell you that there are another (at least for ME) big Scandinavian name coming to the festival, which will be official at a later date.

But this is the result of my mailing with the festivals boss, Mr. Frank Nes:
son volt har vi planer om å få på scenen allerede kl 19 på en dertil egnet scene i bergen sentrum.

da kan det gå bra mht shane samme kveld.
Oh happy days, sier nå jeg bare ;)

Mort

Post by Mort »

Duckman wrote:I just have to push the Ole Blues-gang to have "Son Volt" at apx. 20:00. 'Cause Shane McGowan & The Popes will be playing the same date at 23:00. And I REALLY want to see both.
Duckman wrote:But the show was UTTERLY brilliant, and in front of me 3 extremely beautiful young girls were making out during the entire show. Can it get any better? I think NOT.
While your are pushing the Ole Blues commitee to have Son Volt to start at 20:00, please make them book the 3 hot chicks as well!! :wink:

twitcher73

Post by twitcher73 »

I don't know that I can put these in any order... but:

Superchunk, 94 in RI (Lupos) - Something about Mac's little broken hearted voice with songs full of broken hearted anecdotes - this just 2 days after the end of a 5 year relationship came about. I was in tears when it ended - mostly because it ended... they could have played 12 hours and I would not have been tired or bored.

Buffalo Tom, 93 in RI (Club BabyHead) -

*THIS JUST IN - Accuradio is playing an unplugged version of Drown from a record called VH1 - Crossroads - this is a rather delighful surprise to my day*

OK - yeah, Buffalo Tom at BabyHead... I think this band was by far the tightest live band I had ever seen. They just had every single note dead on, and they rocked all over the stage. Amazing. Rumors are that they are recording a new record.. woo hoo!

Pearl Jam, UMass Amherst 1991 - before they really broke huge, I saw them in a gymnasium at UMass. I know PJ rubs a lot of people the wrong way - they are great musicians and put on a gut wrenching show.

John Spencer Blues Explosion, Boise ID 1998 - I don't even like this band, but wholly crap, they RIP it up live. A friend brought me, and I had the funnest time.

Built to Spill, Boise State University 1997 - I'd never heard of them when I saw them play Spree Day at BSU. Amazing musicians. MUCH better live than on anything recorded.

Damien Jurado and Pedro the Lion - Keith's basement, Boise ID, 1998 - 15 kids in a friend's basement watching two incredible acts. It amazes me that I could be part of that experience - especially after seeing them play a packed Middle East in Boston the following year.

Duckman

Post by Duckman »

Fenrisinho wrote:Duckman, I'm just saying, if you ANY influence on the people behind the festival, DO get them to push Son Volt on at 19.00! 20.00 will do, but I am desperate to see Shane(I've never seen him live before) he's one of my all-time favourite songwriters along with Jay, Steve, Bob, and Townes.

I'll probably see you in Bergen though, do you have a clue as to where the show is, I can't place Logen in my mind right now(don't think I've been there) but seeing it's Son Volt, they probably won't play at Madam Felle would they(anyway with the springflood that's going on right now, they'll probably close the place down from what I see on TV :( :wink: )

Peace, love
Frenchie Fenry
I'll push any buttons I have available to make it happen ;)
Shane's on at 23:00, and it'll take you 10 minutes to walk from the center to Verftet.
My guess is that Son Volt will play at Ricks or Logen. Logen is a really nice venue, actually. Saw Roger McGuinn there a few years back.
Another possibillity would be Peer Gynt-salen in Grieghallen. But I think it's way to big for them.

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

Duckman, I'm just saying, if you ANY influence on the people behind the festival, DO get them to push Son Volt on at 19.00! 20.00 will do, but I am desperate to see Shane(I've never seen him live before) he's one of my all-time favourite songwriters along with Jay, Steve, Bob, and Townes.

I'll probably see you in Bergen though, do you have a clue as to where the show is, I can't place Logen in my mind right now(don't think I've been there) but seeing it's Son Volt, they probably won't play at Madam Felle would they(anyway with the springflood that's going on right now, they'll probably close the place down from what I see on TV :( :wink: )

Peace, love
Frenchie Fenry

Duckman

Post by Duckman »

Mort wrote:
Duckman wrote: - Son Volt - Mars, Oslo - sometime in 1995/1996 ?
Or even as late as 1998...? I remember they were on the original bill for the 1998 Norwegian Wood festival, but cancelled to "do the final recordings for their forthcoming record" (WST). They returned in october/november to play Oslo, Stavanger, Bergen and Trondheim. On their way to Trondheim from Bergen, their tourbus slid off the road and the show was cancelled. That was my 2nd Son Volt cancellation that year :cry: But the NWfestival had a killer lineup that year, I must say!!!!!!
Damn, was it that late?
You're probably right.
I made my ex.girlfriend come to the show with me, and a friend of mine was also convinced.
None of them are Son Volt fans today.
But the show was UTTERLY brilliant, and in front of me 3 extremely beautiful young girls were making out during the entire show.

Can it get any better? I think NOT.

Duckman

Post by Duckman »

Fenrisinho wrote: Ps: You coming to the show at Muddy Waters Duckie?
Probably not, I'll see them at Ole Blues here in Bergen.
I just have to push the Ole Blues-gang to have "Son Volt" at apx. 20:00.
'Cause Shane McGowan & The Popes will be playing the same date at 23:00. And I REALLY want to see both.

On april 30th Booker T & The MG's also play the festival, and WHO in their right mind will leave Bergen during Ole Blues?
Some brilliant band will probably play on the 3. anyway ;)

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

The fact that the Drive-by Truckers don't play shows here bugs me alot. Slobberbone is over, just bit more touring. And the Bottle Rockets are coming(or atleast I know that Brian's urge for that pineapple juice I promised him, has made him think about it atleast) Beer has become a no-no fir dear bonnie Brian, but he's looking sharp and that's good. :wink:

Peace, love
Frenchie Fenry

Ps: You coming to the show at Muddy Waters Duckie?

trailrider

Post by trailrider »

U2 - all five times (2 at the Spectrum, 1 at JFK, 1 at the Vet, 1 at Madison Square Garden - hmmm...only one of those venues is still around). They're not my favorite band - not really even close, though I certainly like their music. But they are unbelievable live. Check them out on their next tour if you've never seen them before.

Probably a good runner up would be the Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Spectrum in '95. The show was only 90 minutes, but they kicked ass and took names for every single one of them. We sat in the second row above the floor - close enough to the mosh pit to feel the energy, but far enough away to not feel the pain. Plus, it was a great view of the stage.