Who's going to see Jay at Borders in Madison (8/11)?

stratoman

Post by stratoman »

HighPlainsDrifter wrote:
stratoman wrote:It was great meeting HighPlainsDrifter and little onion last night. Got Jay to sign my original "No Depression" cd liner. My son was going to ask if he would sign his shoe but backed out because of the autograph Nazi.

All in all, we had a good time.
I didn't meet you there :) I did see the kid with the fedora ahead of us though, but as I saw your post mentioning you'd be with your son only after I got back last night, I couldn't introduce myself. I didn't recognize anyone else there either. Little onion was right about the living room atmosphere, it was quite different than seeing Jay at a bar or something (like in Des Moines last summer). Very civilized and laid-back.
Man, I need to write down names :oops: I've been so busy lately that I barely remember what I need to do to make it to the end of the day.

altcountryman

Post by altcountryman »

I had a good time - met Little Onion and Stratoman, which was cool.

Onion's and High Plains Drifter's write-ups pretty much say it all - it was a really nice show, although we all would have loved to hear another hour (at least) of music!

The caffeine joke was funny, and Jay hammed it up a bit when I took his photo at the autograph table.

I'll post my pics on flicr and put the link up here when I get that done. Probably sometime this weekend. Nothing Devronika-quality, but a couple are half decent.

Cheers!

HighPlainsDrifter

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

stratoman wrote:It was great meeting HighPlainsDrifter and little onion last night. Got Jay to sign my original "No Depression" cd liner. My son was going to ask if he would sign his shoe but backed out because of the autograph Nazi.

I didn't meet you there :) I did see the kid with the fedora ahead of us though, but as I saw your post mentioning you'd be with your son only after I got back last night, I couldn't introduce myself. I didn't recognize anyone else there either. Little onion was right about the living room atmosphere, it was quite different than seeing Jay at a bar or something (like in Des Moines last summer). Very civilized and laid-back.

eamon

Post by eamon »

That would have been nice to see Jay play in such a setting : :lol: . How was the attendance with such little press :?: I wish the 105.5 Trpile M radio would put Son Volt on their rotation as they use to in the past prior to Jay's Solo projects. They would play them just as much as WILCO whom they tend to play on a consistant basis.

stratoman

Post by stratoman »

It was great meeting HighPlainsDrifter and little onion last night. Got Jay to sign my original "No Depression" cd liner. My son was going to ask if he would sign his shoe but backed out because of the autograph Nazi.

little onion

Post by little onion »

medication was great. it was stronger then the light strumming on the cd version. jay was showing off his finger picking skills. the atmosphere was like siting around in your living room and having jay play for you. several young kids with their parents. jay apologized to any caffeine addicts in the store because they shut the coffee blenders off for his performance. nice meeting stratoman and altcountryman. a note to anyone going to the other border shows. jay wouldn't sign any souvenirs. only the cd cover or a poster that you got from borders if you bought the cd there.

HighPlainsDrifter

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

I just got back about 45 minutes ago. Was good but brief, went with a friend who lives there and showed up just past 7, but got decent seats in the back. I couldn't be sure who was really a Jay fan and who was a curious shopper wanting to see a little music but no matter. Jay played the following songs:

Bandages and Scars
Gramophone
Afterglow 61
Joe Citizen Blues
Windfall
Medication

He finished up just after 8 or so. For some reason I was expecting it to go on a little longer, perhaps an encore, but it was just an in-store. Really good stuff though, Jay sounded great with the Bonanzinga even if the vox were mixed a little low and slightly muffled. Everyone seemed to enjoy.

Jay exited the little stage and my buddy and I got in line to get our cd sleeves signed (I brought Wide Swing Tremolo). Got a cool 'To Sam--Thanks, Jay Farrar' on it and a pic of him up-close signing my friend's Okemah sleeve as he wasn't doing pics with people. I wanted to say more (like ask if Heywood was going to tour with them, if/when Rice is coming back, etc.) but I just said thanks and that I'd see them in October (long line behind me anyway). I got several performance shots too, including a couple of him wailing away on a different axe on 'Medication' (as on the DVD). As consolation I had my friend get a pic of me standing in front of the big Okemah banner backdrop pointing geekily at my signed cd jacket :lol: Then I picked up a copy of the new Magnet (Husker Du and the Mats!) and we left.

A nice evening. I'll try to post a few pics once they're developed.

Beltmann

Post by Beltmann »

I'd love to hear a report of how this went... I live just outside of Milwaukee and had hoped to attend, but a prior obligation prevented it. I consoled myself with the knowledge that Son Volt is coming to Milwaukee in October.

stretch

Post by stretch »

A full Cheese report is due....by the morning dew..of course...

Tallman

..if the thunder don't get me then the lightin' will...

altcountryman

Post by altcountryman »

Cheese is a given. I (and I'm sure the others) just assumed his question was referring to what we were going to bring in addition to cheese.

Talus

Post by Talus »

Come on, you guys are in Wisconsin! No one is getting some cheese signed?

Sorry

higherground

Post by higherground »

stretch wrote:Is anyone gonna bring Jay some spicy potatoe dumplings???

Tallman
I can't .... I just figured on liquid refreshment.

stretch

Post by stretch »

Is anyone gonna bring Jay some spicy potatoe dumplings???

Tallman

altcountryman

Post by altcountryman »

I'll be there - probably in a black Bottle Rockets T-shirt.

I was planning on brining Okemah for an autograph, but now I think I'll throw Trace in the bag, too.

Guess I need to print this thread to use as a reference guide to the board folks!

higherground

Post by higherground »

HighPlainsDrifter wrote:What are you guys bringing to sign?
Sign?

I thought we were supposed to bring him something!!! To that end, I thought I'd bring him a cold bottle of Labatts. If he wants to sign it....fine....whatever. But I would think he would really appreciate a cold one after enduring an elongated queue of obsequious humanity.