Guitars

Rich

Post by Rich »

Those Martin 15 series guitars are fantastic. I got the D-15 two years ago for Christmas. One I was able to get my hands on a real Martin for a reasonable price. Second the guitar sounds and looks great. Smells like a cigar box.

Post by Guest »

Actually, Jay plays one of the low end Martins. It's a mahogany guitar--no spruce. Runs about $650 new. I've seen Mark Spencer play Peavey Predators, as well.

Blue Mind Boy

Post by Blue Mind Boy »

He also plays a Bonanzinga “Montgomery”.

Sandusky

Jay's Martin

Post by Sandusky »

Yep, you're right, guest. Looks like the same guitar. Thanks for the link! :)

Jays Martin

Post by Guest »

Howdy All

I think this is the martin he plays? there are a few in and around this one but I've looked at it up close at shows .

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/cho ... l&m=000-15

moonshiner

Giving Martins a chance

Post by moonshiner »

Sandusky, it's true I know. Six strings are preferential (like the music they are the tools for). It's all about taste etc...

I've had a mid-end decade old Alvarez that depending on the strings I use, sounds somewhere inbetween what I'd truely like to hear. I used to have a low end Martin too -- and it served me well as that "camping" guitar.

loosestring

Post by loosestring »

Taylor is the best acoustic I've ever played. The Big Baby sounds a little bright for me, but that's just because it's smaller so it doesn't have the bass that a full size has. I'd still love to have one. Right now the only acoustic I have is a cheapo Gibson Hummingbird "as seen on tv" cop off that my mom bought my dad back in the 70's. The strings haven't been changed on it for years so it has a dull sound. It's weird though, I kinda like the way it sounds... even if it is a little outa whack. I've been thinking about selling my electric just so I can get a nice acoustic, but haven't followed through with that thought yet. :?

Sandusky

Post by Sandusky »

Jay was definitely playing a Martin. A chocolate Martin. I know because my hubby wants one of those really bad & every time we go into a music store he has to pick one up & play it. He has a Martin, but it's a low end guitar, a DM, nothing like the chocolate.

Give Martins a chance, Moonshiner. I've learned over the years that EVERY guitar plays & sounds differently. So if you've played or heard one that sounds weird that doesn't mean they ALL sound like that. For example, we have a Taylor Imbuia. A pretty high end guitar. Well, a friend of ours bought a Taylor Koa, a top of the line guitar. Most of our friends that played both guitars actually liked the sound of the Imbuia better. I have a Big Baby Taylor that's very inexpensive but the sound is impressive! I'm assuming you don't like Taylors :?: because their sound has more brightness than Martin.

Sorry to ramble on...

moonshiner

guitar change?

Post by moonshiner »

I noticed that too. Used to be Guilds -- love the fat sounds from Guilds... Martins not so sure about something about the brightness that wierds me out

coalminer

Guitars

Post by coalminer »

What is Jay playing these days? From the clip in the audio/video section, it looked like he was playing a Martin acoustic. Mark was playing a tele with a hb in the bridge and it looked like he had a Les Paul Jr. in the background too.

I heard somewhere years back that Son Volt's van got broken into when they were in Chicago and a lot of their guitars/equipment got stolen. Damn shame.