The Drams - T.T. the Bear's - Cambridge, MA - 10/24/05

KilgoreTrout_XL

Post by KilgoreTrout_XL »

My buddy does the sound board at TT's, and he's got a band called "the appreciation", which has a great weezer kind of feel to it. His nickname's "stick"- if you go there a lot you might know him. They say it's the hardest room in Boston to sound. Either it's good or it's downright terrible.

And when are they going to fix the other damned pool table in the back room? :x

tracer

Post by tracer »

saw em in kc, great show. i'm really excited about em.

Damaged Son

Post by Damaged Son »

Glad to see there's at least a handful of us here paying attention to Brent, Jess, and the new band.
:D

princess buttercup

The Drams!

Post by princess buttercup »

I couldn't agree more. Brent best has found his "Scott Danbom" in Chad.
I love this new sound!

Damaged Son

The Drams - T.T. the Bear's - Cambridge, MA - 10/24/05

Post by Damaged Son »

Well, well, well....
Slobberbone is dead.
Long live the Drams.

A chilly wet night in Cambridge played host to the Drams last night when they stopped at TT's. Maybe it was the rain...maybe it was the lack of knowledge among former S'bone fans about the Drams...or maybe just because it was a Monday night. Whatever the reason, there was a heartbreaking, disappointing, and confusing looooooooooow turnout for the Denton, TX boys. Confusing because of all the Slobberbone shows i've seen at TT's nearly every single one was packed (but Brent Best DID make a joke saying "Thank y'all very much for coming out to see us on this...the Secret Tour of the Drams."

Fenris and I stood right up front and center (crossing that weird invisible line that seems to stop most people....you know the one i'm talkin' bout) at the start of the show. We were joined by a few others to have our socks rawked off and i didn't look back behind me until the end of the show...but i knew it was a small turnout.
:(
This review will be a little shorter than my SV one though...i don't know any of the new Drams material except for the 1 mp3 that (was it sam or Sticky?) was linked here a little while ago. Nonetheless, i really enjoyed seeing the fellas again (new bass player who bounces around the stage even more then Andrew does for SV and also a 5th member on keys).

Brent and Jess traded lead guitar duties throughout the hour set (damn Monday midnight curfew) possibly even more frequently within individual songs than when they were in Slobberbone together, sometimes trading lead guitar roles depending on the tune.
The Drams music reminded me VERY much of SB's Slippage album...less twang (although you can still hear the hints here and there) instead focusing on full-force hard-rock with a few burning but slower numbers. The keys provided a very nice blanket that would rise and fall thru the wash of guitars. Hell, there was one tune that i can't think of any other adjective but "punchy"! Upbeat but still kicking ass.

And at one point, while Brent was messing with his pedals and connections to get the sound he wanted from that blue-sparkly geetar of his (or maybe it was the black one giving him fits)...the keyboard player decided to provide a sweet interlude with the theme music from Cheers!
Chuckles and groans followed...
(And how appropriate since Fenris had just been there that afternoon....)

The Drams will be recording an album for New West records in December with a possible Spring 2006 release.

There ya have it....now i'm gonna listen to some Slobberbone.
:)