Is Anders Parker really this good???

nw12us3

Post by nw12us3 »

Damaged Son wrote:

The best tour i saw of him was with Centro-Matic.
They opened for him, then backed him up as Varnaline.
It was fanastic.
I don't suppose anyone has any recordings from that tour eh?
It was about 4-5 years ago i think.

Sigh...a guy can dream....

I saw that show at T.T.'s

beefalo

Post by beefalo »

picked up tell it to the dust, per recommendation of the board, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

tracer

Post by tracer »

when is the record he and jay worked on together gonna see the light of day?

altcountryman

Post by altcountryman »

Thanks to y'all's comments, I just got Songs in a Northern Key and love it!

homegrown

Post by homegrown »

homegrown wrote:We saw that tour too and it was great. We saw it at Davey's in KC. I was really hoping they would play skyed out or meet me on the ledge, my favorites at the time, but they didn't. When we saw Anders this summer I asked him before the show if he would play meet me on the ledge and he did and it was wonderful as expected.
The song I requested and that he played was Skyed out, not meet me on the ledge...oops.

barclocksays3am

Post by barclocksays3am »

the art guy wrote:I'm a fan of the recent record, but I like Songs in a Northern Key better overall. Great album. I actually got into them (Varnaline) several years ago, and the first record I got was "Sweet Life" (found it used for 3.99). I'd highly recommend it, too, even if you have to pay more than I did. The title track (last song on the disc) is genius; worth the price of the whole thing.

Sweet Life is a sweet album :) when I got it a few years ago I could`nt get it out of the cd player.Every track is a winner in my book 8)

the art guy

Post by the art guy »

I'm a fan of the recent record, but I like Songs in a Northern Key better overall. Great album. I actually got into them (Varnaline) several years ago, and the first record I got was "Sweet Life" (found it used for 3.99). I'd highly recommend it, too, even if you have to pay more than I did. The title track (last song on the disc) is genius; worth the price of the whole thing.

trailrider

Re: Is Anders Parker really this good???

Post by trailrider »

STLBlues05 wrote:Damn,...i just got his latest cd and I'm blown away. I wasn't impressed when I saw him years ago with Varnaline or on his recent stint with Jay. I found his cd used and picked it up just because he's jay's boy,...and it's shot right up into my top 5 for the year. It came across to me as pretty personal. Musically and lyrically it just has a real honest feel to it.
Yes he is - I picked up his CD after I saw him open for Jay in SF. It's all I listened to for a couple of months. Drove my wife nuts.

homegrown

Post by homegrown »

Damaged Son wrote: The best tour i saw of him was with Centro-Matic.
It was fanastic.

We saw that tour too and it was great. We saw it at Davey's in KC. I was really hoping they would play skyed out or meet me on the ledge, my favorites at the time, but they didn't. When we saw Anders this summer I asked him before the show if he would play meet me on the ledge and he did and it was wonderful as expected.

Damaged Son

Post by Damaged Son »

Aw damn...no MA or other New England dates.
I guess i can't blame him...on his solo runs playing with Jay or Buckner, the crowd hasn't always been very respectful...a lot of loud talkin' and chatterin' which bugged me and definitely bugged him...i remember this one comment when he mumbled in to his microphone, giggled, laughed, immitating the crowd buzz and then said "This song is called Shut The Fuck Up...those of us there to actually listen to him cheered loudly :D

The best tour i saw of him was with Centro-Matic.
It was fanastic.

Damaged Son

Post by Damaged Son »

downsouth wrote:anybody seen him on his current tour? a full report, please.
Current tour?
#$^@%$
That's news to me!
Gonna check his site now...

downsouth

Post by downsouth »

anybody seen him on his current tour? a full report, please.

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

homegrown wrote:
Antelope850 wrote:I think Anders was already there to play some keyboards on the new Son Volt album when the other guys didn't show up, so Jay and Anders did the folk record while waiting (or after Jay gave up waiting.)
that's the story Anders gave us...

His new record is also on my top 5 for the year, easy!
damn i want to hear this thing! i love Anders! even before i bought him a beer.

but can you imagine the lyrics on this folk record if that is when they recorded it?

it's easy if you try.

homegrown

Post by homegrown »

Antelope850 wrote:I think Anders was already there to play some keyboards on the new Son Volt album when the other guys didn't show up, so Jay and Anders did the folk record while waiting (or after Jay gave up waiting.)
that's the story Anders gave us...

His new record is also on my top 5 for the year, easy!

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

I think Anders was already there to play some keyboards on the new Son Volt album when the other guys didn't show up, so Jay and Anders did the folk record while waiting (or after Jay gave up waiting.)

Tell It To The Dust is a great record and I really enjoyed seeing Anders open for Jay a couple of years ago. I need to get Northern Key and maybe a couple of others.