Off Topic/Personal, but Happy Sweet Goodness worth Sharing.

francesca

Post by francesca »

dEvRoNiKa wrote:When you're scanning them in, are you restoring or cleaning them up at all? Are you doing it "as is?" If you need help restoring, let me know.
Incidentally - I call my Grandma "Mimi" too.
Dev, I am scanning them in "as is". I honestly don't know how to restore them or clean them up. I'm so clueless when it comes to stuff like that. Most of the pictures are in pretty decent shape, though; not sure that they need any touching up. But I know to come to you for help should I need it. Thank you. And I can't believe you call your Grandma Mimi, too! How weird is that. I thought I was the only person in the world with a "Mimi". Do you know why you call her that? 'Cuz I sure have no idea where I came up with Mimi for my grandma.

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

My Grandpa ...

I just found this photo.

Jackpot!!

trousersnakeandlarry

Post by trousersnakeandlarry »

As a licensed vagina whisperer, I would like to encourage everyone to scan orginal family photos and save them for future generations.

calexico

Post by calexico »

Weren't the 50's just the best era for clothes? They look so damn cool and uncontrived.

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

saratoga jay wrote:thanks for another cool pic. slideshows at family functions are the best. when my father retired from the navy a photographer friend of our family took pictures at the ceremony early, left at dinner to develop and came back and brougt the house down with a slideshow to 'the curly shuffle' before bringing the house to tears with 'thats what friends are for'. he used countless older pictures he had taken at parties, baseball games. bbq's, etc with ones he took that night to make it touching for everyone. have fun with your project, knowing you it will also be unforgetable.

and don't sweat the singing/peforming. you wil rock.
Thanks man.
I look forward to this photo-project. There are going to be a lot of people there who may have NEVER seen these photos.
Should be good.

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

thanks for another cool pic. slideshows at family functions are the best. when my father retired from the navy a photographer friend of our family took pictures at the ceremony early, left at dinner to develop and came back and brougt the house down with a slideshow to 'the curly shuffle' before bringing the house to tears with 'thats what friends are for'. he used countless older pictures he had taken at parties, baseball games. bbq's, etc with ones he took that night to make it touching for everyone. have fun with your project, knowing you it will also be unforgetable.

and don't sweat the singing/peforming. you wil rock.

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

So - I'm putting together a big slide-show type thing for my Grandparent's 60th Anniversary Party next Saturday ... The pressure is on, so I've got ZILLIONS of photos to sort through and clean up enough to present on a big screen. I have been stressing about getting this done PERFECTLY and have been dedicating my free-time (at home) to doing this. Come to find out, we're now also expected to PERFORM at this function, so I have that to worry about. Trying to think of what song(s) to do. sighhhh ... Anywah - during the course of sorting through more of these old photos, I found this one that is just lovely. It's my great Uncle Bobby and his wife Lavora. I love this photo.

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

what a great first thread to look at/read since leaving the office over seven hours ago....

dev, you are a gem! 8)

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

Incidentally ... I believe this is the same guitar.
This is my Grandma and her Grandpa.

Total Carter Family thing happening, ya think?
I come by it honest I suppose!

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

mcarlton wrote:
What guitar is that Dev and does he still have it?
Yes - he still has it. It's a classical nylon-string guitar (a Goya, I believe); and it was my Grandmother's. She taught him how to play guitar when they were first married, and gave it to him. He still plays it all the time. He's got a very flamenco/spanish/cowboy vibe happening.

mcarlton

Post by mcarlton »

dEvRoNiKa wrote:
highlandcreek wrote:That really is sweet! Thanks for sharing that.

BTW, Grandpa's got one Scha-Weeeeeeet pompadour! :D A handsome couple all around!
Thank you - thank you. I love my Grandparents very dearly. They raised me a good bit while my Mom was playin' D-I-V-O-R-C-E on the proverbial jukebox that was her life then, so I'm really close to them still.
Ya know - this might sound a bit creepy, but my Grandpa is still gorgeous. He's always had that sort of Chris Isaak look about him.
This is another one of my favorite photos - I think I've posted it before, not sure. I tried my best to restore it (it's worlds better than it was originally), but it's still pretty whack. It's from a newspaper article EONS ago, and the paper is SO faded. I tried to salvage it before it was gone forever, because I love the photo so much. It's my Grandpa and my Mom. Dig the awesome Chris Issak vibe!!

What guitar is that Dev and does he still have it?

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

francesca wrote:Aw man, I'm gettin' all teary-eyed reading this thread. I was totally close with all of my grandparents (I knew only three of them) and now I have none left. My mom and I were just talking about this yesterday... it's been 17 years - seventeen - since we lost my grandma (I called her Mimi). She was the best. Six years since we lost my Nannie, and five since my Papa passed. I was definitely closest with Papa. He used to take me fishing and we'd spend summer afternoons sitting in front of our house, listening to Cubs games on his little transistor radio. Ok I think I'm gonna cry now.

I'm gonna try to post this photo of my Mimi and Papa from their wedding day. It is my most favorite old school family photo. What's even more special is that my husband & I took a similar photo on our wedding day. We got married at the same church and tried to duplicate the scene (he wasn't wearing a Navy uniform, though). And Dev, I started scanning all these old photos, too. My goal is to get them all on the computer and compile them on disc or something to give to my parents. They'd totally dig it. Ok I'm done babbling. Here's the picture.
Babble away, Sister!! So lovely. What a gorgeous photo!! When you're scanning them in, are you restoring or cleaning them up at all? Are you doing it "as is?" If you need help restoring, let me know. I'm putting together a slideshow right now for my Grandparents. We're having their 60th Anniversary party on the 21st this month. I figure we'll do a slideshow presentation. I won't be happy until everyone in the place is boo-hooing like a buncha damn babies.
This is a great photo. LOVE IT!!
Incidentally - I call my Grandma "Mimi" too.

francesca

Post by francesca »

Aw man, I'm gettin' all teary-eyed reading this thread. I was totally close with all of my grandparents (I knew only three of them) and now I have none left. My mom and I were just talking about this yesterday... it's been 17 years - seventeen - since we lost my grandma (I called her Mimi). She was the best. Six years since we lost my Nannie, and five since my Papa passed. I was definitely closest with Papa. He used to take me fishing and we'd spend summer afternoons sitting in front of our house, listening to Cubs games on his little transistor radio. Ok I think I'm gonna cry now.

I'm gonna try to post this photo of my Mimi and Papa from their wedding day. It is my most favorite old school family photo. What's even more special is that my husband & I took a similar photo on our wedding day. We got married at the same church and tried to duplicate the scene (he wasn't wearing a Navy uniform, though). And Dev, I started scanning all these old photos, too. My goal is to get them all on the computer and compile them on disc or something to give to my parents. They'd totally dig it. Ok I'm done babbling. Here's the picture.

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

trousersnakeandlarry wrote:I would start doing it from home. Advertise in papers, craigslist, yahoo, etc. I think direct marketing would be the best approach to get your customer base established. Try to find mailing lists for an email blast. A great group to infiltrate is scrapbooking moms. They are numerous and really into it, but might not want to use their precious originals, and would be in the market for a touched up copy. Hobby Lobby and other craft stores usually has a meeting group of these scrapbooking hens once a week after work (several from here do it). Think local first, then branch out. Contact historical societies as well. They will be interested in this and also in having you make an online album for them. I will try to think of some more for ya.
Remember when I said "no means no!"
yeah - I was just kidding around.
Those are all fabulous ideas, and I did consider the scrapbooking Moms; lots of those where I'm from. I was also thinking about a set fee for the photo jobs, instead of consulting for each. Im' a one-stop-shop kind of gal. I figure it won't hurt to attempt it, it's not like it's going to cost me a whole shitload of dough either. I mean, I have the materials; I am not going to be printing at home, because I've found that it's cheaper to do it elsewhere (about .45 cents a sheet, typically), and that is awesome. I'd kind of put this idea on the backburner, but I'm getting re-inspired.

trousersnakeandlarry

Post by trousersnakeandlarry »

I would start doing it from home. Advertise in papers, craigslist, yahoo, etc. I think direct marketing would be the best approach to get your customer base established. Try to find mailing lists for an email blast. A great group to infiltrate is scrapbooking moms. They are numerous and really into it, but might not want to use their precious originals, and would be in the market for a touched up copy. Hobby Lobby and other craft stores usually has a meeting group of these scrapbooking hens once a week after work (several from here do it). Think local first, then branch out. Contact historical societies as well. They will be interested in this and also in having you make an online album for them. I will try to think of some more for ya.