1/20 FitzGeralds's show breakdown

cailin

Post by cailin »

Cool -- thanks for posting about the show and the Meth song. Glad to hear there was a good turnout, too.

hollywood44

Post by hollywood44 »

I will confirm the prior accounts as accurate. First time seeing JF solo, and I was pretty impressed at how quiet and locked in the crowd was - hanging on his every word.

Fulks' comments about the crowd exodus were funny: "Looks like all the pretty girls left now that JAY is done. Just me and you now." I suspect that the weather [snowing pretty good all night] and the large number of 30/40somethings who needed to get home and reliveve the babysitter had a lot to do with it.

As for Methamphetamine, it sounded pretty "country" musically as well as lyrically. Maybe the criticism of that newfangled Okemah sound from the oldskool crowd around here was heard after all...

Malarkey Dartboard

Post by Malarkey Dartboard »

To add to Francesca's account. Jay did play another song that wasn't on OATMOR. It was Methamphetamine. I don't know if it's been discussed elsewhere on the board. I can't keep up with all of the prolific writers.

One thing that went wrong was that Jay picked up his Gretch Pro Jet electric and started to play Jet Pilot but, early in the song, his amp conked out. That's when he moved onto Tear Stained Eye. I'll try to flush out more of the set list...

Who
Bandages and Scars
Jet Pilot (cut short)
Atmosphere
Tear Stained Eye
Still Be Around (encore - request)
Medication
Methamphetamine
Afterglow 61
Gramaphone
6 String Belief
(These are in no particular order)

A pretty healthy set considering it was a benefit show. Jay made a comment that he had to leave soon after his set for some unmentioned reason.

There was about 10 minutes between Jay's set and Robbie's. and in that 10 minutes, half of the house cleared out. It didn't go unnoticed, as Robbie made some jokes about it during his set. For those of us who stayed, we were treated to a very laid back, fun set. I hadn't seen Robbie before but I'll probably be keeping an eye out for him now. A lot more on the hillbilly side of country music. Robbie is one hell of a guitar player. And, even though i'd seen other artists do this, his cover of Michael Jackson's Billie Jean was both great and humorous.

francesca

Post by francesca »

Nope, no Windfall.

veryoldstereo

Post by veryoldstereo »

No Windfall?

francesca

Post by francesca »

It was incredible, as usual. Jay took the stage a few minutes before 11:00 and played for a little less than an hour. He started the set with "Who" and, except for "Tear Stained Eye" and "Still Be Around" (as the encore), everything he played was off Okemah (if my memory serves me correctly. It was late and I was blurry-eyed). The highlight for me was "Medication". MY GOD I love to hear that song live! Especially in a setting like last night or when he played at Borders back in August: just Jay and his guitar. He rocks my world. Best line of the night: Jay was remembering the best piece of advice Gary had given him over the years. It went a little something like this: "If you're going to work at Disneyland, sooner or later you're going to have to wear the bear suit." That brought a chuckle out of just about everyone.

Now I know I'll probably catch some slack for this, but hubby & I left after Jay's set because I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. So I have no idea what happened during Robbie Fulks' performance, if Jay joined him onstage or anything. I really hope that didn't happen because I hate missing out. But hopefully someone else did stick around for it and can give us all a full report.

Overall it was a fun night and there was a decent-sized crowd, despite the weather. I never made it over to the side bar so I don't know what was going on over there. The first band, Bakelite 78, was enjoyable. Hubby was really diggin' their groove and bought their CD. Corky Siegel - ugh. All I can say is the man is very enthusiastic about what he does - and I respect that - but damn, he was killing me. I almost fell asleep standing up during his set. I felt bad, too, because there was a whole lot of chatter going on while he was performing. Although there were some people right up in front who were getting into it... But good cause, great show, I'm glad I decided to go.

homegrown

Post by homegrown »

Hope you all got home safely. How was it?

saratoga jay

1/20 FitzGeralds's show breakdown

Post by saratoga jay »

come on.

wake up and give some details!!!