bad press

Alexa

Post by Alexa »

I let my subscription to ND expire, and I won't be renewing it.

eamon

Post by eamon »

I just came back from NYC and saw the show there it was great. I don't blame you for bashing ND. I would like to see them give another one of my bands Cracker some desent press they just came out with a new Album of old Country Tunes that I thought deserved a little press I know it's not alt country but they have a little bite of Americana to their stuff. Last time they did a complication with Leftover Samon that ND bashed and gave no respect too. David Lowery is just the reverse of Jay and can't keep his mouth shut sometimes. Now that they are no longer with Virgin Records they have seen little or no press :!:

missY1

Post by missY1 »

Glad I'm not the only one losing interest in ND. They used to write
like they loved the music. Now they write like they've all got
swollen egos and need to pick everything apart so they feel like
real "critics." what a downer. Next!
I picked up a free copy of Harp at the show, but haven't gotten
through it yet. Don't know if it'll be better, but hoping for different,
at least.

SonWilco

no depression

Post by SonWilco »

What are they expecting from Jay between songs idiotic kid rock banter and fuckin a's. That rag should know he is a serious artist and not freakin Kiss. As for Wilco as much as I love them they seem to try to be over serious and calm lately.

ChiDavid78

Post by ChiDavid78 »

Jay may just want to leave all the monologues to Steve Earle... and I have seen Farrar interviews on TV, he isn't that animated so why not just let his music and performing live do all the talking with no speeches?

cowboydown

the communicator

Post by cowboydown »

What baffles me is that so many people make such a big deal out of his "stony presence" aka quiet demeanor, that it's taking precedence as a defining quality of the artist (for critics) these days. And its scrutiny is lazily aimed. After all, he shakes hands, talks to fans after shows (to those that reach out) and signs autographs...

For me: talking to me between songs or while tuning his guitar is not part of his job as a communicator. He does that well enough on his own completing the package -- in his music.

Boots

Post by Boots »

Being at both the Jay show and the Wilco Aud show (and to be honest I've been a Wilco a lot longer then Jay or SV, and should a civil war start I'd have to fight on Jeff's side) I'd be hard pressed to say the Wilco show was that much better. If anything I thought Wilco lacked a bit of the energy that they usually come with, and Jay, well he was great and Canyon had plenty more energy then John, Glen, Leroy, or Mike had.

ChiDavid78

Post by ChiDavid78 »

Jay probably wasnt all that tight with Son Volt on stage.... so who cares if he stood out on stage, he is a solo act. The only complaint I had was that I couldn't hear his vocals on Like a Hurricane that well. Overall it was a great show and they seemed pretty good in backing him up. I was going to see Jay Farrar and thats what I got.

rgk

Post by rgk »

in regards to My Morning Jacket, they were hopeful that the band "will really become the next Wilco, instead of the next Son Volt".

in regards to chicago show and having Canyon back " much of the gig didn't match in practice what it promised in theory" Band was "stiff and tentative", Farrars interaction with them was almost nonexistent; "his typical stony silence didn't smooth the transitions between songs" Constant pauses were a "momentum drain". set list was "uncreative" and there were "pacing problems"

They said some good things too--but if I never heard Jay before and just read this review, I would have no idea the guy is so talented and would think he was bumbling and uninspiring. Completely wrong!

They weren't too complimentary of Canyon either.

I have a hard time reading this mag as well--but hate to miss anything so still do get it.

Grotto Slack

Post by Grotto Slack »

give us some quotes from it. I can't stand to pick that rag up anymore.

rgk

bad press

Post by rgk »

I just got the new No Depression last night and it seems they have been into some Jay bashing lately. The review of the Chicago show was pretty bad, right after a great review of a Wilco show. They bashed Son Volt in the last issue in the My Morning Jacket Review. There is a great letter in this month's issue from a fan trying to set the record straight on that.

But, it just seems to me they have forgotten their roots. They'd rather review a bunch of mediocre me-too alt-country bands and singer-songwriters and call them the next best thing than to give any credit to the most authentic musican out there. So Jay isn't a media-hungry artist. So he isn't the most talkative guy on stage. Couldn't they have found something better to say???

Just thought I'd rant....thanks for listening!