Similar music?

pbass1972

Similar Music

Post by pbass1972 »

I would suggest anything by Tim Easton. You may also enjoy John Prine and/or John Hiatt, if you like a bit of wry humor injected into the lyrics. I second the motion on Tom Waits. You should check out "Closing Time" and some of his other earlier works.

rockathon

Post by rockathon »

any of the Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros albums

muteseh

Post by muteseh »

tillotson505 wrote:For drug induced paintings without the drugs, allow me to suggest Tom Waits.
Or if you're drug of choice are horse tranquilizers, may I suggest Will Oldham aka Bonnie Prince Billy.

tillotson505

Post by tillotson505 »

I just going to assume that you're posting this because you have every Bob Dylan song memorized.

For drug induced paintings without the drugs, allow me to suggest Tom Waits.

missY1

Post by missY1 »

thinking about lyrics for you, here.....patty griffin "living with ghosts,"
freedy johnston "can you fly," iris dement "infamous angel" or "my
life," donna the buffalo "positive friction." let me know if any of these
albums hit the mark.

folkhero72

Post by folkhero72 »

If you haven't done so, check out Richard Buckner, Pere Ubu, The Handsome Family, Th' Legendary Shack Shakers (if you are in an upbeat mood), Elliott Smith (RIP), Jim White, Built To Spill, Modest Mouse or Ween (if you are feeling quirky). Not sure how many of those you already know, but they weren't listed so... Enjoy! Kind of a smattering of music there, a little something for every mood. :) Nice to see another Bob Mould fan here as well.

FlyingGirl

Similar music?

Post by FlyingGirl »

Hi there,

I think Jay is an impressive poet and a gifted musician and I listen to his work often while I paint. I also like Jeff Black, Lucinda Williams, Van Morrison, Bob Mould, Indigo Girls, etc. So... my question is this...

Can anyone suggest similar intelligent, lyrical music in the same vein? I am a professional artist and have LONG stretches of time where I am painting and have only music to keep me company. I cannot stand the radio, and I am playing the few CDs that I love into the ground.

If you have any ideas, please either respond here or email me through my website, www.FlyingGirl.com.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best wishes,
Melissa