Similar music?

Hello all, my first post here. Nice place.

Post by Sticky »

flip: Elaborate how? I seriously doubt anyone who was there has much recollection of those shows. They were sweaty, dirty drunkfests for the most part. Sort of like "if you remember the 60's, you weren't there". There are several bootlegs around from that period. Notably, a bootleg of covers that's not too hard to find and captures the mood pretty well.

peace,
chris

flip

Post by flip »

Thanks for enlightening me...I had no idea.

Anybody out there ever catch them at the old Cicero's? If so, please elaborate.

The Dude

Post by The Dude »

Note on Cicero's: The Cicero's that "burnt down" is actually across the street and up a little ways from the location of the original Cicero's basement bar. For a better approximation of the old Cicero's locale, you will have to check out a show at the Blueberry Hill Duck Room, which is more or less the same location as the old Cicero's.... of course, it's still a whole lot different from UT's home turf bar (more space, less claustrophobic, different layout), but it's still a good place to see the show. In fact, that's where Jay had his coming out party for Terroir Blues, as I'm sure everyone knows...

lizish9

Post by lizish9 »

Lotsa good suggestions

But I don't see:

Richard Buckner
Calexico
Be Good Tanyas
Josh Ritter
Augie March

tillotson505

Post by tillotson505 »

Since there has been some mention of Tim Easton here. He'll be playing at Andyman's Treehouse in Columbus, Ohio on Thursday, December 4. If you are not familiar with Andyman's, it probably will hold all of 80 people where the music is being played, and some of those spots will be behind a tree (thus the name) - so show up early.

flip

Post by flip »

The band "Say ZuZu" is highly recommended to any alt-country fans. Sadly, they are now defunct, but their website is still up and running, and they will continue to sell their CD's.

During a cross-country road trip, I first saw them at Cicero's, which for lack of a better term was essentially UT's "homecourt" in St. Louis. So, I had to find this musical mecca, hoping to see what was pictured in the No Depression liner notes, but since the place had burned down and been rebuilt, bore no resemblance whatsoever. But anyway, Say ZuZu was there that night (all the way from New Hampshire), and they did a cover of "Moonshiner" which even made it onto one of their CD's. I guarantee y'all would love the CD Bull.

http://www.sayzuzu.com/merchandise.html

One of their singers has embarked on a solo career, and his link is:

http://www.jonnolan.net/

Great songwriting, great vocals. Earnest, honest, genuine, etc. And super-nice guys to top it off.

stevie

Post by stevie »

Probably a bit late and may be repeating other words but check out:

Mojave 3
Nadine
Bonnie Prince Billy
Nina Nastasia
Tim Easton
Handsome Family
Grand Drive
Freakwater

pbass1972

Post by pbass1972 »

Glad to hear you liked the Tim Easton.

I thought of another artist worth checking out - Kelly Joe Phelps. I haven't heard his new one yet, but his last one "Sky Like A Broken Clock" is very cool. Great voice - interesting lyrics. Get it now!

altcountryman

Post by altcountryman »

I decided to check out some of the artists mentioned here - glad I did!!

Really like Tim Easton! Thanks Flying Girl for getting this thread started, and thanks all who replied!

missY1

Post by missY1 »

looovve the 97's! but now rhett's making solo stuff, and so far i
haven't liked it as much. too watered down. i read an interview
where he talked about seeing the towers fall and having to flee his
apartment, then stay with friends in ohio for a couple weeks until
they let them back into their building. but he's from texas originally,
right? i can't remember.

andylest

Post by andylest »

2nd on Peter Bruntnell. I like "Normal for Bridgewater" best of his catalogue. Eric Heywood and Dave Boquist from Son Volt play on it.

Also a big 2nd on Freedy Johnston, his newer albums are more arty and introspective, and the older ones are more rootsy ("can you fly" especially). I would consider Freedy a songwriters' songwriter- I really like his whole catalogue.

Besides a lot of the others mentioned, I'm also a huge Steve Earle fan. My favorite of his is "El Corazon."

Also, the Old 97s, which have more a drunk, uptempo alt-country vibe. If you like the Tupelo sound, you'll probably like the 97s too.

liquor-n-guns

Post by liquor-n-guns »

check out Howe Gelb and Giant Sand at giantsand.com. He has a big CDR tree you can get involved in. He's a singer/songwriter with over 20 albums under his belt. Kinda jazz/art/blues/country/rock stuff.

"Back when they called it guitar rock,
in progressive album oriented format.
Back when they called it alternative.
Now when they call it... whatever it is."
-Howe Gelb

smoke

Post by smoke »

I see Trailer Bride hasn't been mentioned yet. It will most surely put you in a different mindset. Check out 'Hope is a thing with feathers'.

FlyingGirl

Thanks!

Post by FlyingGirl »

I bought Kathleen Edwards Failer and I love it! Thanks a ton to all who offered suggestions. I will check out more of them as money allows.

Take care,
Melissa
www.FlyingGirl.com

muteseh

Post by muteseh »

and may i once again advocate that all good people should listen to will oldham aka bonnie prince billy aka palace brothers
bad people need not apply