recommend some good reads

Haggischomper

Post by Haggischomper »

I just re-read George P Pelecanos' King Suckerman this weekend for about the 3rd time.

half-n-half

into the wild

Post by half-n-half »

it was a good read. kind of a mystery & very sad.

muteseh

Post by muteseh »

I just read 'Into The Wild.' Yes, it is great. That is all.

altcountryman

Post by altcountryman »

I agree with your hypothesis on the 1/4 life crisis! When I was there, I thought it was just midlife crisis hitting early. Now I guess I have another one coming in 10 or so years!

Bound to Get Burned

Post by Bound to Get Burned »

I read "Into the Wild" and liked it. It's sort of a cool idea of just pack up and seeing different parts of the country. I remain grounded though, it's not really something that I could really do.
I think guys in their mid-twenties go through a quarter-of-a-life crisis. This book puts some conformation in my hypothesis. I think dudes are confronting "who they are going to be". Some aren't ready to grow up yet and some don't want to face the real world. This kid in this book I think was both. He seemed to also be a dreamer, which those people most often fail.

Just my thoughts

altcountryman

Post by altcountryman »

Into the Wild is one of my all time faves. It just came un in an e-mail discussion among some friends, so I'm thinking about picking it up to reread again. Like the author, who originally covered the story in an article for Outside magazine, I am totally captivated by the tale.

People's reactions to the story are interesting. Most people are fascinated by McCandless on at least some level, but some have no use for him.

I highly recommend this book to all!

criminals

Post by criminals »

The DaVinci Code - loved it.

Just finished "Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer. Nonfiction, sad story about a semi-rich kid from DC who took off on a long road trip after college. Interesting individual. A very good read.

Straightaways

Post by Straightaways »

"Death of a Rebel - A Biography of Phil Ochs" by Marc Eliot. I am reading it now and it's really good!

I Am Who Am

Post by I Am Who Am »

Christian Science by Mark Twain
The Future of Freedom by Fareed Zacharia
Homage to Catalonia - George Orwell
The Dark Side of Christianity- Helen Ellerbe
The Christ Conspiracy - Acharya S
The Anti-Christ - F. Nietzsche (HL Mencken translation)
Mencken Chrestomathy - HL Mencken

Enough.

muteseh

Post by muteseh »

ill soon be rereading "guns germs and steel"

Bucky Goldstein

Post by Bucky Goldstein »

the da VINCHI code, davey? come on....

i'm almost finished with reefer madness and am disappointed with it. it's full of information you've heard before. the ruben sturman stuff is the only part of the book that really grabbed me.

will soon be reading flyboys by john bradley and pompeii by robert harris.

freeuntilcaught

Post by freeuntilcaught »

Just finished Justice, the prequel to Montana, 1948 both by Larry Watson. Excellent western lit. writer (definitely inspired by Raymond Carver). Also just finished Amy Sedaris's, Wigfield--usually not turned on by satire, but found myself chuckling at the inanity of it. A band referred to in the story is Autopsy Turvy. and one of the businesses was named, Abracadaver (either a morgue or a funeral parlour I can't remember which).

Now I am reading William Kennedy's, Billy Phelan's Greatest Game. I'm big into western lit.
Last edited by freeuntilcaught on Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

bentonbourbon

Post by bentonbourbon »

If you were ever into 80s metal as a kid .. I'd pick up "Fargo Rock City" It's hilarious without being mean or making fun of the genre of music

ChiDavid78

Post by ChiDavid78 »

I got my sister The Da Vinchi Code for Xmas. I hope she likes it.

saratoga jay

good one...

Post by saratoga jay »

Green Grass Grace -by Shawn McBride

Hilarious, I couldn't put it down!