the chord from hell.......

Groo

Post by Groo »

the dobro

calexico

Post by calexico »

Which of the above pictures would look better with Michelle Pfeiffer draped across it invitingly?

Groo

Post by Groo »

calexico wrote:Image

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

:lol:

calexico

Post by calexico »

jon

Re: the chord from hell.......

Post by jon »

TinyElvis wrote:
camaroheadus wrote:i can't stand the f*cking F chord. i've been learning to play guitar for about 5 mos. now. i am getting decent at the others but i CANNOT get the F. one of my buddies says that my guitar has a lot of action and it may be harder to do, but of course he has no problems. no matter how hard i try i cannot get the bar. any suggestions?????
You can cheat with a capo on 3 and play the D chord structure.
this is always a good time, but I use my...
thumb to play an Fmj.
ringfingo on the A string for the C note
pinky on the D string the rest on the fingers are standard C fingers.

It's hard at first but it's a big FULL payoff & if you are lazy and play some of that shit open you sound dark and mysterious....

Poster Nutbag

Post by Poster Nutbag »

HighPlainsDrifter wrote:I thought this thread was gonna be about the tritone :shock:
My guess was diminished minor. :wink:

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

loose_string wrote:I'm gonna put my two cents in again and say don't do the training wheels F chord the vox (and now DEV) vouch for. Just take your time to get the bar right.

The whole reason for this is your ROOT NOTE- the F note that your bar finger should hit on the low E string. This gives the chord its balls and its identity as an F chord.

Another hint would be to learn three-string POWER CHORDS first and then the bar will come more easily and you will understand the "theory" behind it a little better, too.
pshhh - yes, it's best to learn it both ways. If the cheat-method is easier (sometimes it's easier for big-neck'd guitars and small-handed folks, as it's tough to get that low E/root note F, if your finger can't reach and/or get enough pressure to avoid buzz) otherwise, maybe on an electric, for instance - it's no sweat to bar it. While I agree, in essence, with barring the low E, it's not required much of the time and you can get the job done without it. There are many ways to skin a cat and I recommend all of them. Mostly because I'm allergic to cats.

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

loose_string wrote:I'm gonna put my two cents in again and say don't do the training wheels F chord the vox (and now DEV) vouch for. Just take your time to get the bar right.

The whole reason for this is your ROOT NOTE- the F note that your bar finger should hit on the low E string. This gives the chord its balls and its identity as an F chord.

Another hint would be to learn three-string POWER CHORDS first and then the bar will come more easily and you will understand the "theory" behind it a little better, too.
How does one delete a double-post? It would seem there'd be a way. Or maybe you should read my response twice for the full effect? Nah - I'll edit.
Last edited by dEvRoNiKa on Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Groo

Post by Groo »

just keep practicing

Post by Sticky »

Usually there are one of three reasons for this problem.

1) Guitar neck death grip.
2) Guitar neck in wrong position.
3) Hand in wrong position.

I have been guilty of all three and occasionally still am. You might be amazed if you just raise the guitar neck a little or move your thumb more to the center of the neck. W/o seeing what you're doing, it's tough to say. I play both a barre and a triad for "F" depending on if I want it higher or lower or "rockier" or countrier.

chris

HighPlainsDrifter

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

I thought this thread was gonna be about the tritone :shock:

loose_string

Post by loose_string »

I'm gonna put my two cents in again and say don't do the training wheels F chord the vox (and now DEV) vouch for. Just take your time to get the bar right.

everone

Post by everone »

Fer what it's worth, I've always played the F the way Vox Martin sez. I had a hard time with it starting out but eventually it just showed up one day like I knew what I was doing. The trick is to not give up. My advice would be to just hit it when you're playing, no matter how f***ed up it seems. As soon as you play without thinking about it too much your fingers will come around. Same thing happened with barre chords, and I'm still sweating some of those out. Good luck. Keep plugging away at it.

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

anadyne2112 laid out some good tips. Try changing chords with the progression and strums he suggested. Hell, do that with all chords and your playing will take off. Sounds simple and boring but it will help.

The F is a tough chord to play. I started out learning to play the bottom four strings only and it was a bitch. I finally learned how to play a decent bar chord and can't believe I ever wasted my time on four strings only. There is a really good book out for guitar players. It's called Fretboard Logic. It lays out a nice pattern to follow. I am sure you can pick it up at most music or book stores but here's a link to his website.

http://www.billedwards.com/frameset.html