Anyone going to see SV @ Taste of Randolph Street?

Groo

Post by Groo »

To my ear this show was much dirtier, grittier sounding [in the very best sense] than the Vic show with Frame. And there seemed, visually to be a better synergy b/w Rice and JF, moving around the stage, playing off of one another.
I agree completely. However, I much prefer the "cleaner" playing of the Vic show. Maybe it's because Frame plays a Telecaster. I have a weakness for the Telecaster tone.

matt

Post by matt »

Brad really keeps things entertaining. At the Santa Fe show in April during the first couple of songs when Jay would play lead he was stretching - pulling his arms back behind his head and stretching. Later in the show, during a song, he pulled out and applied some chapstick. I've never seen a guitar player do either one of those in a live show before.

That was in addition to the various guitar poses and faces he was making with the folks in front of the stage.

I saw Frame play with SV in Boulder and thought he sounded great, but he kind of plays like Jay does - just hit the notes, play it straight and on to the next song. Brad's stage presence is fun and lively, but not really in an overpowering sort of way.

hollywood44

Post by hollywood44 »

Groo wrote:They sounded great. Jay soloed a lot. I think Chris Frame sounds better than Brad Rice, and Brad Rice fits much better on stage.
See, I thought they sounded way better at Randolph than at the Vic last fall. Not that the latter sounded bad, just that from my vantage point they killed the other night. My GF, who's much less into SV than I and was also at both shows, agreed.

To my ear this show was much dirtier, grittier sounding [in the very best sense] than the Vic show with Frame. And there seemed, visually to be a better synergy b/w Rice and JF, moving around the stage, playing off of one another.

Based on the sounds and sights, Rice seems the better foil, IMO.

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

First time I've heard Methamphetamine with the full band. Sounds awesome.

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

thanks for the show chitaper

Groo

Post by Groo »

Malarkey Dartboard wrote:
Groo wrote: I think "I'm Not Like Everybody Else" was a cover, but I have no idea who they were covering.
Jay announced that it ws a Ray Davies cover. I looked it up and it was orignally released as a B-side by the Kinks in 1966.
I can't understand a word that man mumbles into the mic between songs.

Malarkey Dartboard

Post by Malarkey Dartboard »

Groo wrote: I think "I'm Not Like Everybody Else" was a cover, but I have no idea who they were covering.
Jay announced that it ws a Ray Davies cover. I looked it up and it was orignally released as a B-side by the Kinks in 1966.

Groo

Post by Groo »

Antelope850 wrote:Hey Groo - what did they play? Any new stuff?
Indecision (I guess that's what they're calling it) was awesome. I had heard Methamphetamine before, and it was great. But, ya, other than that, you can seee from the set list what they placed. I think "I'm Not Like Everybody Else" was a cover, but I have no idea who they were covering.

chitaper

Post by chitaper »

For those of you w/ a dime account:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... =1&reqdl=1

Son Volt
June 16, 2006
Taste of Randolph Street
Chicago, IL

Disc 1
01 Endless War
02 Jet Pilot
03 6 String Belief
04 Atmosphere
05 Gramophone
06 Damn Shame
07 Barstow
08 Bandages & Scars
09 Loose String
10 Indecision (?) - new song

Disc 2
01 Medication
02 Driving The View
03 Route
04 -Band Intros-
05 Who
06 Drown
07 Afterglow 61
08 -Encore Break-
09 Methamphetamine
10 Tear Stained Eye
11 Windfall
12 I'm Not Like Everybody Else
13 -Encore Break-
14 Chickamauga

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

Hey Groo - what did they play? Any new stuff?

Groo

Post by Groo »

They sounded great. Jay soloed a lot. I think Chris Frame sounds better than Brad Rice, and Brad Rice fits much better on stage.

francesca

Post by francesca »

I'll be there, too!!

hollywood44

Post by hollywood44 »

I too will be in attendance.

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

:oops:

the Watcher

Post by the Watcher »

Yes.