Hello

Sandusky

Post by Sandusky »

Okay, I will admit that his solo stuff isn't as good as Son Volt or Tupelo, BUT... I wouldn't go so far to say that it's forgettable. :roll: I find his solo stuff different, but not in a bad way. It's just different is all. I still think his solo stuff is DAMN good...

lukenmo

rs review and more

Post by lukenmo »

you know, this may be a better place for me to express my sentiment that i, like the rolling stone review, find jay farrar's solo stuff to be pretty forgettable. call me the ant-christ. that's not to say it's bad. probably worth 3 stars. it's just not all that exciting. and this is nothing against minimalism. i am a big fan of minimalist art, which can be extremely exciting. listen to the red house painters. their langurous (sp) epics are poetic, beautiful, and compelling. look at the majority of tim easton's latest. very mellow, beautiful songs. so the point is, it can be done. and then you hear, say, the first song off spoon's "kill the moonlight," or eels' "rock hard times" off their latest, and you know you're listening to musicians who aren't reinventing the wheel but are doing something exciting, interesting, and nice to listen to. any comments along these lines? or am i just a heretic

troymcclure

Post by troymcclure »

thx for the response. been a fan of the eels for a few years too (did not mention that before). i think E is extremely talented, they are fun live, and despite the dark nature of the songs, still throw a fun spin on the music. unabomber thing from the last tour threw me off though...

lukenmo

Post by lukenmo »

that was me (lukenmo) that wrote the last message, by the way, apparently as a guest

Post by Guest »

totally man. yeah, i've been listening to joe pernice ever since his scud mountain days. got massachussetts and loved it--still the best record of its kind ever (don't ask me to describe what kind of record that is). but i preordered the latest pernice brothers through them and so got a nice booklet that includes the lyrics of all the songs pernice has written and recorded in his various guises. good stuff. his music has a very unique vibe that still sounds comfortably familiar--like he's re-working seventies art-rock in a way. not even art-rock really--kind of like a postmodern gerry rafferty, if the association isn't too far out there. i'm still way into eels these days. it's probably not a good thing. kind of like the antithesis of no depression--we're talkin' way depression. but i love the introspection of the music and the lyrics. poetic and yet rocks. it's definitely in the lineage of true rock and roll

troymcclure

Post by troymcclure »

lukenmo wrote:thanks long slow fade. i'm open to lots of different stuff. i've been listening, lately, to spoon, metropol, eels, pernice brothers, sparklehorse, always dylan--it's all about the music man.
You been pilfering my record collection? going to see the Pernice Bros. tomorrow. Just started listening to them couple of months ago and think they are fantastic. As for Spoon, why they are not bigger than they are is way beyond me, Series of Sneaks through Kill the Moonlight has been a phenomenal string of records...

lukenmo

Post by lukenmo »

thanks long slow fade. i'm open to lots of different stuff. i've been listening, lately, to spoon, metropol, eels, pernice brothers, sparklehorse, always dylan--it's all about the music man.

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about the new Eels record. I'll probably check it out.

Might I recommend Fugazi's latest, "The Arguement"? Awesome.

lukenmo

Post by lukenmo »

i've been listening to terroir here at work after dowloading it from amazon. sounds great. wasn't too thrilled with sebastopol, although i think it's an interesting failure. anyway, is there anybody here who crosses genres? the new eels rocks

er1c

hi from vernon, new jersey

Post by er1c »

Just moved up here from Jersey Shore, feeling a bit disconnected from music, I played a lot of shows down there, lots of great musicians, so this board is kind of nice for me, just to read enthusiastic posts about music I love...
I am fortunate to have an advance of the new record, it is wonderful.
maybe I will write about it if anyone cares to hear my subjective ranting.

peace

er1c

m.truslow

Post by m.truslow »

Hi, Mark from Maryland...........huge SV fan..............Saw SV at Bohager's in Baltimore in 1997.......Later, Mark T.

loosestring

Post by loosestring »

I'm inclined to agree with you.

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

Howdy ya'll.

Became a fan with Trace. Bought "Still Feel Gone" on a whim. The local CD shop didn't have the other Tupelo releases so I made them order them which I bought all at once. That was a great week. Picked up everything else Jay has done on release day.

Best living songwriter. Hands down.

hey all

Post by hey all »

Glad to see the forum up and running. I'm looking forward to Jay's new release and I hope he's able to make it down to North Carolina. With the release of Jay's new album and Steely Dan's new release I'm in heaven. Cheers all!!!

John

castiron

Post by castiron »

hey there, just wanted to say howdy to all, been snoopin around and this new and improved site is great, been a fan of jays from the the time me and me mate went to some gigs in the uk on the last tupelo tour....good to meet you all