some best band DEBUT albums???

Grotto Slack

Post by Grotto Slack »

Audioslave kicks ass, but I don't know if its fair to call it a debut album. Chris Cornell has had a professional carreer since probably 1989. RATM hit it big in 93' but they were a hugh underground band since 90 or 91. You're talking about 4 guys who have had over 10 years each as musicians selling millions of records. Not fair for the debut album list. It was a given that Audioslave would be good. Even if their demos were terrible, they are in a postion where a label would throw enough money into it and bring the right producers in to make it marketable. I really like the way Tom Morello's playing has matured.
When you say debut, I think most people think as in the first set of songs that are put out in any format bigger than a demo. An example would be The Counting Crows debut album. They had a set of songs that they probably demoed at least once if not two or three times and played them for a couple of years before the entire world heard it when they broke big.

Boots

Post by Boots »

James McMurtry- Too Long in the Wasteland

njenney

Post by njenney »

Mason Jennings - Mason Jennings
Gary Jules - Greetings From The Side
Jack Johnson - Brushfire Fairytales
Pearl Jam - Ten
Ben Harper - Welcome to the Cruel World
Audioslave - Audioslave

njenney

http://www.phishhook.com/lists/njenney

pbass1972

Post by pbass1972 »

I never picked up "Salival" for some reason. I hear they cover "No Quarter" by Led Zeppelin on there. That would be interesting.

I'm not a big metal fan either, but I liked the pure angst of "Undertow". You are right about their musicianship. There is nobody even close in today's crop of "nu metal" bands. They are the King Crimson of this generation.

Grotto Slack

Post by Grotto Slack »

I think Opiate is the one that I'm thinking of. I'm guessing that Opiate was probably their major label demo that they decided to release.
There is another Tool ep called Salival. I actually haven't listened to the entire thing, but it has a live alternate version of "Push it" which is about 20 minutes long and is absolutely phenonminal. I'm not really into metal, but one of my roommates is a huge Tool fan and I've heard some of the other live stuff and its incredible that they pull their stuff off live as well as they do. Amazing drummer. I don't think that the guitar player is really anything that special outside of being the guitar player in a great band, but he is really the ideal guitarists for Tool because he plays so rythmical.

pbass1972

Post by pbass1972 »

There was a Tool EP called "Opiate" that preceded "Undertow", but no LP I am aware of. Let me know if I missed one, because if so, I want it!

Grotto Slack

Post by Grotto Slack »

I don't believe Undertow was Tool's debut album. It may have been their major label debut, but it seems like I've seen an earlier album before- more 80's metal-ed out.

folkhero72

Post by folkhero72 »

Bob Mould - Workbook (I know he had records released before, but this was his 1st solo album)
Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance
Black Flag - Damaged

I also have to agree with those who mentioned the 1st Richard Buckner, Ramones, and Clash albums.

jbwilm

Post by jbwilm »

Steely Dan-Can't Buy A Thrill
The Cars-the Cars
The Pretenders

pbass1972

Post by pbass1972 »

The Clash
The Ramones
The Jam - "In The City"
Gang of Four - "Entertainment"
Tom Waits - "Closing Time"
Nirvana - "Bleach"
Tool - "Undertow"
Sunny Day Real Estate - "Diary"
Cheap Trick
The New York Dolls
Dwight Twilley - "Sincerely"

gb68

Post by gb68 »

I'm glad to see Television's Marquee Moon mentioned.
Patti Smith's Horses is a great record, too. Tom Verlaine contributed to that as well.
The first Throwing Muses album is quite a wild ride.
For '60s classics, The Velvet Underground and Nico tops my list right along with Freak Out from the Mothers of Invention.
The Butthole Surfers' seven-song debut is hilarious, if you have a really sick sense of humor, which I suppose I do.
Steely Dan started out with Can't Buy a Thrill and they scored two hits right out of the box. Joe Jackson and the Pretenders also had hits on their debut records, which says to me that because a recording artist gets off on a rather good start that doesn't necessarily prohibit them from doing a lot of really good work down the road.
But then, there will always be the example of Asia.

RobUA03

Post by RobUA03 »

Steve Earle-Guitar Town
Living Colour-Vivid

farrarfan1

best debut albums

Post by farrarfan1 »

Turnstiles-Bellwether

tele

Post by tele »

Led Zep- Led Zeppelin
Hendrix- Are you Experienced
The Band- Music from the big pink
Van Morrison- Astral Weeks
Crobsy Stills & Nash-CSN
The Beatles - Introducing...
John Prine-John Prine
Derek & the Dominoes-Layla
Norah Jones-Come away with me
SRV-Texas Flood
Van Halen-Van Halen

* I fully acknowledge my child of the 70's views

smoke

Post by smoke »

Bloomed was first but has been out of print off and on for years. I agree, D + D is one of the greatest records of all time.